The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I don't think anyone here should be advocating that smoking weed is unacceptable when they are content with drinking.
Smoking weed is exactly like drinking alcohol, its bad in large quantity.

Control on any substrance will ensure you remain healthy.
I really think people who are anti-weed and then go to the pub for serveral prints are disillusioned.
Acceptance is paramount to the society.
tis_me_lord
Ok I'm actually going to give a proper response instead of a biased "yeah its fine."

It's just a natural leaf afterall it isnt like solvents which can drop you dead anytime you do it...

While i agree that it's not going to make you instantly drop dead, "it's just a natural leaf" is the most ridiculous argument you could present. There are vast amounts of natural leaves/flowers/bulbs etc that are all very poisonous - potnetially fatal - being natural does not imply it is not bad for you in any sense at all. Likewise there are countless synthetic substances that aren't bad for you, or are even good for you...

On a different note, does anyone happen to know; if you are predisposed to certain psychological conditions, smoking weed can bring them on. But is it the case that you probably have to smoke quite a lot of weed, or smoke it quite regularl for that to happen, or can it literally turn you the first time you try it? Informed answered appreciated.
groovy_moose
While i agree that it's not going to make you instantly drop dead, "it's just a natural leaf" is the most ridiculous argument you could present. There are vast amounts of natural leaves/flowers/bulbs etc that are all very poisonous - potnetially fatal - being natural does not imply it is not bad for you in any sense at all. Likewise there are countless synthetic substances that aren't bad for you, or are even good for you...

On a different note, does anyone happen to know; if you are predisposed to certain psychological conditions, smoking weed can bring them on. But is it the case that you probably have to smoke quite a lot of weed, or smoke it quite regularl for that to happen, or can it literally turn you the first time you try it? Informed answered appreciated.

Ok well, maybe some natural stuff can kill you. But weed doesn't... so there is still no case here for the anti-drugs people. I just need to change the wording of my previous post slightly and my other points still stand.
crazyabzyd
Most people (my age) I know do it. I think its pathetic to be honest. It ostracises those who don't, not to mention the long term side affects it gives those who use it.
I'd have to disagree there, I've found people have no problem if I want to enjoy a joint around them, they don't care. Obviously, I don't breathe it their faces or anything though.
And I hang around with my flatmate in his room, talking and playing XBOX and we both smoke weed and sometimes another flatmate who doesn't joins us. He's one of the aformentioned people who don't seem to give a toss if people around him are smoking joints.
So I suspect yeah, some zealots become ostracized, but the majority don't seem to give a crap.
Both times I did it, it just made me tired and hungry. It kinda feels like being drunk without motivation. I couldn't see what the fuss is about :s-smilie:
Reply 85
quadruple_twist
Both times I did it, it just made me tired and hungry. It kinda feels like being drunk without motivation. I couldn't see what the fuss is about :s-smilie:

those DAMNED munchies...:mad:
Dissey
those DAMNED munchies...:mad:

Munchies are awesome! You think it's good when you're drunk and you bite into that greasy kebab? Being stoned takes it to a new level.

I think it's funny how in Amsterdam where it's obviously legal to smoke weed - they have LOADS of places where you can quench munchies. All these stalls for slices of pizza, doughnuts, cakes etc... they must make such good business. :biggrin:
Reply 87
tis_me_lord
Munchies are awesome! You think it's good when you're drunk and you bite into that greasy kebab? Being stoned takes it to a new level.

I think it's funny how in Amsterdam where it's obviously legal to smoke weed - they have LOADS of places where you can quench munchies. All these stalls for slices of pizza, doughnuts, cakes etc... they must make such good business. :biggrin:

munchies are not awesome when you're a vegan weight conscious freak. not awesome at all! Never been to amsterdam, but someone brought me back a shroom bar from there;o
Reply 88
groovy_moose

It's a complicated problem, that can be summarised as 'often, the people who smoke weed are those who shouldn't'.

As an example, if one has anxious tendencies, one is more likely to smoke weed to try and quell them somewhat - drugs can seem like a good idea if one is anxious. However, if one has anxious tendencies, one is more likely to develop full-blown paranoia/psychosis/schizophrenia after a few months of smoking weed. Psychiatric units have many ex-marijuana users amongst their patients because they used it to try and control their relatively minor problem, but ended up with a bigger problem instead.

Of course, this doesn't mean that anyone who doesn't have signs of having a propensity to developing mental health probs can smoke weed with impunity: there will still be a good number of people who show no initial signs and appear totally level-headed, but will get truly obsessive about smoking it and develop serious mental health problems as a result.

To answer your 'will one spliff do it?' question - as I understand it, no. Some people can experience paranoia etc after their first time, but it goes away. For long-term problems, it takes more than one spliff; but the risk, of course, is that one spliff is the gateway to more spliffs.

Speaking of gateways, I don't buy the marijuana is a gateway drug thing anyhow, cigarettes and alcohol are the gateway drugs. For cigarettes, it plants the idea of 'smoke this and feel better' and then smoking something else to feel even better doesn't seem as distant an idea, especially given people tend to add cannabis to tobacco so it just seems like having an extra-fun roll-up. For alcohol, the idea that a chemical can have such an obvious mind-numbing effect on the body does a good job of advertising the potential that other things could do that too; and if they're illegal, hell that must mean they're really good. Anyhow, that was a tangent and a half. I think there's an answer to your question somewhere in all of this lot.
To me smoking weed is no worse than binge drinking. I wouldn't smoke weed because I don't smoke atall. But i don't think it's some sort of "sin" like some make out it is.
Reply 90
tis_me_lord

It's not legal in Amsterdam, it's just tolerated in designated places and in people's homes. Yes, I know I'm a pedant :wink:
Reply 91
Milk
It's not legal in Amsterdam, it's just tolerated in designated places and in people's homes. Yes, I know I'm a pedant :wink:

it's VERY legal in Amsterdam! They get so much tourism from it, it's welcomed, if anything!
Reply 92
It is not legal. There are restrictions on purchase and sale.
Reply 93
Dissey
it's VERY legal in Amsterdam! They get so much tourism from it, it's welcomed, if anything!

Trust me, it's not legal, which is why your not supposed to smoke it on the street.
But there are restrictions on purchase and sale of petrol in England - is petrol illegal here?

In my opinion if I can walk into a coffee shop, ask for some weed, get served it. Take it outside and have a nice smoke in front of a bunch of policemen, it's legal.

Not so sure on the technical aspects of it, but effectively it's legal.
Reply 95
Milk
Trust me, it's not legal, which is why your not supposed to smoke it on the street.

But alcohol in UK, you are not supposed to drink it in street (may get fined in certain places), and there are restrictions on its sale and purchase. That doesn't make it illegal though. So you can't really use that to prove it's illegal status. I would be quite interested though if you could give some other reasons though...
Reply 96
tis_me_lord
But there are restrictions on purchase and sale of petrol in England - is petrol illegal here?

In my opinion if I can walk into a coffee shop, ask for some weed, get served it. Take it outside and have a nice smoke in front of a bunch of policemen, it's legal.

Not so sure on the technical aspects of it, but effectively it's legal.

Effectively, yes :wink: But you're not supposed to smoke it in public places, though, so smoking it outside the coffee shop in front of some policeman might not be a good idea. They might turn a blind eye to it, though :smile:
Reply 97
crema
But alcohol in UK, you are not supposed to drink it in street (may get fined in certain places), and there are restrictions on its sale and purchase. That doesn't make it illegal though. So you can't really use that to prove it's illegal status. I would be quite interested though if you could give some other reasons though...

http://www.thesite.org/travelandfreetime/travel/beingthere/amsterdamdruglaws
Milk
Effectively, yes :wink: But you're not supposed to smoke it in public places, though, so smoking it outside the coffee shop in front of some policeman might not be a good idea. They might turn a blind eye to it, though :smile:

There is seating outside many coffee shops for smoking it outside.

I happen to have always been there when it was cold so I stay inside, but you are allowed to smoke it outdoors.

I know there are definitely restrictions, like you cant go and start smoking it around a school. But I'm not convinced that it's illegal to smoke on the street, I think it is just seen as rude.
Reply 99
I've worked in a mental hospital for quite a while now and it does seem like almost everybody in there does or has done drugs. The strange thing is that there aren't any students in there who have smoked pot, only local chavs. I do agree that if you are pre-disposed to a certain condition then it can bring it on earlier but it certainly cannot create a condition our of nothing. The main risk to your body is that it damages your lungs, sometimes worse than smoking. I take offence to the idea that stoners do no work though, the people who do no work were doing no work before they discovered weed. I on the other hand work 15 hours a week minimum and also attend university at a 2:1 level, therefore the only conclusion that I can make is that cannabis does facilitate the lazy in their overall task of doing nothing but it won't turn the a hard working person into a lazy person.

Latest

Trending

Trending