The Student Room Group

Migrant worker status

Hi I am going to start studying on October this year. I just got my letter saying that I will get maintenance loan because I am migrant worker. But the question is if I shouldn't be assessed as UK student, because I have been living and working in UK since October 2014, and I heard that after 3 years they assess you like UK student even if you are not British. Is it true ?

And another thing If I will be assessed as migrant worker and I will lose my job about November this year, from not my fault, just my position will be terminated (I am at risk of redundancy) will I lose my maintenance loan if I won't find new job straight away ?

Thanks in advance for the answer.
Hi Dom56,

To qualify for Higher Education support, a UK national must meet the following residency requirements:

Ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man for the 3 years immediately before the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course

Ordinarily resident in England on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of their course.

Settled under the terms of Immigration Act 1971 (and not subject to any restrictions on the period for which they may stay).

EU Nationals can receive support as a home student if they:

Are ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of the course

Have 5 years residency in the UK

Thanks
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending