The Student Room Group

What do guys really think about paying on the first date?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by megan.louiseeee
Feel like the man should at least offer to pay on the first few dates but the woman should then tell him not to and split it 50/50.

Why ? Women have much more options and freedom nowadays in dating. How do Men not know their dealing with a potential goldigger, or someone who's only their for the free meal ? Remember Women always have more dating choice than Men
Original post by remiaitman
the guy paying is a good indicator of generosity; i believe it weeds out the stingy men from the giving ones

A Women who does not offer to pay or just expects a free meal for just sitting their is a code for Men to GTFO.
I'd kinda feel bad if the guy paid for me because he's not the only one ordering stuff, so I'd offer to pay half. But if he insisted on paying for everything then i guess i wont say no
Original post by Anonymous
Why ? Women have much more options and freedom nowadays in dating. How do Men not know their dealing with a potential goldigger, or someone who's only their for the free meal ? Remember Women always have more dating choice than Men

I don’t really agree that women have more dating choice than men and I only feel like men should offer as it’s seen as generous and traditional. I’m not saying men SHOULD pay, just that they should at least offer. I truly believe that dates should be split 50/50 or if you’re in a LTR (like I am) then it should just work on a ‘I payed this time so you pay next time’ kinda thing.
I don’t really agree that women have more dating choice than men and I only feel like men should offer as it’s seen as generous and traditional. I’m not saying men SHOULD pay, just that they should at least offer. I truly believe that dates should be split 50/50 or if you’re in a LTR (like I am) then it should just work on a ‘I payed this time so you pay next time’ kinda thing.

You see that's the problem i have. You want 'traditional' in things which benefit women, but for all the things that used to 'traditionally' benefit men have been stripped away. 50/50 or your a potential red flag in my eyes. Women earn more than men from 21-30, Women definitely have more choices as their are more needy men than women looking for companionship.
Reply 65
She should offer too, if she's serious about not coming across as someone who wants a free meal.

Quite a lot of girls think that if the guy is serious then he should pay otherwise he doesn't look serious since it implies she's not worth it and also makes him look like a cheapskate tbh.
Although no girl should go to a date without her purse expecting him to pay.
I think its very polite and impressive if a guy pays on the first or the first few dates but as we get more acquainted i feel good to insist on the female paying sometimes but thats my personal opinion
You see that's the problem i have. You want 'traditional' in things which benefit women, but for all the things that used to 'traditionally' benefit men have been stripped away. 50/50 or your a potential red flag in my eyes. Women earn more than men from 21-30, Women definitely have more choices as their are more needy men than women looking for companionship.

How does it actually benefit a woman though by just offering? I’m not saying that he should actually pay, just that it’s a sign of a good man if he at least offers.

I think you’ll find many women appreciate small gestures like that. I expected my BF to *offer* to pay on our first date and we’ve now been together for two years, 50/50 ever since. I don’t see a problem.

Also, just out of curiosity, can you give me some examples of ‘traditional’ things that benefit men?
(edited 5 years ago)
How does it actually benefit a woman though by just offering? I’m not saying that he should actually pay, just that it’s a sign of a good man if he at least offers.

I think you’ll find many women appreciate small gestures like that. I expected my BF to *offer* to pay on our first date and we’ve now been together for two years, 50/50 ever since. I don’t see a problem.

Also, just out of curiosity, can you give me some examples of ‘traditional’ things that benefit men?

The fact you judge if a man is a 'gentleman' or not by him paying for the food which goes in YOUR body is a entitlement. Where's the benefit for the man paying if he dosen't get sex out of it ? Women also earn more than Men from 21- to early thirties, you are not acknowledging this. In this current day and age it's quite off putting if a Women does not offer at the very least or just expects for the Man to pay, no questions asked.

What happens if the Women dosen't enjoy the date, or dosen't want to persue a second date ? It's a waste of time and money for the Man, which is unfair. 50/50, or a Man should take the red flag and GTFO.
I think its very polite and impressive if a guy pays on the first or the first few dates but as we get more acquainted i feel good to insist on the female paying sometimes but thats my personal opinion

It's also very polite if you offer to pay, instead of just expecting the guy to pay, because of what's between his legs.
Original post by BitMel
Quite a lot of girls think that if the guy is serious then he should pay otherwise he doesn't look serious since it implies she's not worth it and also makes him look like a cheapskate tbh.
Although no girl should go to a date without her purse expecting him to pay.

If a Girl dosen't OFFer to pay, that implies she sees him as a walking bank. You can't in this day and age expect the guy to pay for no logical reason. What happens if the date goes bad, girl or guy go off eachother ? The Guy loses out time and money. The Girl only loses out time. That is unfair, 50/50. Why are girls so stingy to pay ? They expect the Guy to come to them, iniate contact, pay for first dates, propose to her. Entitlement at it's finest
I don't really think the man should have to pay. In Western society, women are considered equal to men, so I don't think it's necessary for men to pay.

People can't have it both ways. Can't want equality, but then also expect the boy to pay.

lol thats such a poor person response, a date hardly costs the earth so people need to stop acting as though it does. i usually pay the first time. its like £30 max ffs
Pay for what you buy. For example at a restaurant, if he orders this and that he pays for this and that, if she orders noodles and rice then she pays. If you think it’s more appropriate for one person to pay then you should expect the person who invited everyone/ “plan” the date to pay, if the other person insists that’s fine too.
The fact you judge if a man is a 'gentleman' or not by him paying for the food which goes in YOUR body is a entitlement. Where's the benefit for the man paying if he dosen't get sex out of it ? Women also earn more than Men from 21- to early thirties, you are not acknowledging this. In this current day and age it's quite off putting if a Women does not offer at the very least or just expects for the Man to pay, no questions asked.

What happens if the Women dosen't enjoy the date, or dosen't want to persue a second date ? It's a waste of time and money for the Man, which is unfair. 50/50, or a Man should take the red flag and GTFO.

Nowhere did I actually say that I expect the man to actually pay, just that he should offer. Likewise, if I was going out with my boyfriend’s family for a meal, I would offer to pay my part even though I know they will blankly refuse to let me pay. To me it’s just polite to offer...

And what does a man get out of it? Well, a girlfriend perhaps? Because if I was with a man who expected me to work out and pay for exactly what I ate on the first date then to me that is a clear indicator of stinginess and that he’s potentially not worth my time. By offering to pay (but not actually doing it) he’s showing that he’s enjoyed my company and wants to pursue this relationship further. Obviously this would be different if we were both short of money, for example students, in which case I wouldn’t expected him to offer since we’d both be short of money.

That said, I’ve still payed 50/50 for all the dates I’ve been on, and I will continue to do so. I just think it’s a sign of courtesy if he simply offers to cover it on the first date.
(edited 5 years ago)
Nowhere did I actually say that I expect the man to actually pay, just that he should offer. Likewise, if I was going out with my boyfriend’s family for a meal, I would offer to pay my part even though I know they will blankly refuse to let me pay. To me it’s just polite to offer...

And what does a man get out of it? Well, a girlfriend perhaps? Because if I was with a man who expected me to work out and pay for exactly what I ate on the first date then to me that is a clear indicator of stinginess and that he’s potentially not worth my time. By offering to pay (but not actually doing it) he’s showing that he’s enjoyed my company and wants to pursue this relationship further. Obviously this would be different if we were both short of money, for example students, in which case I wouldn’t expected him to offer since we’d both be short of money.

That said, I’ve still payed 50/50 for all the dates I’ve been on, and I will continue to do so. I just think it’s a sign of courtesy if he simply offers to cover it on the first date.

It's also a sign of courtesy if you/girls offer to pay, as you get a boyfriend out of it ?
It's also a sign of courtesy if you/girls offer to pay, as you get a boyfriend out of it ?

And I would offer to pay. In fact, I’ve always split my dates 50/50.

For example, I’d normally go to get out my purse and my BF would say ‘oh no I’ll cover it’ to which I’d try to convince him not to. This would end in us splitting it.

I’m not saying men should pay because that’s clearly outdated, I think it’s nice of them to offer.
And I would offer to pay. In fact, I’ve always split my dates 50/50.

For example, I’d normally go to get out my purse and my BF would say ‘oh no I’ll cover it’ to which I’d try to convince him not to. This would end in us splitting it.

I’m not saying men should pay because that’s clearly outdated, I think it’s nice of them to offer.

It's really the same thing ? It originates from the past that men should pay because women didn't have enough money to look after themselves. I would find it personally a red flag, if a Women dosent offer and just expects me to pay for the first couple of dates before we're official.
Everyone should pay for their own stuff. Because the first date is to decide whether you actually like the person/want to be with them or not, so if it goes badly or you just decide they aren't for you, you nor the date has to worry about repaying the money.

If it's not the first date, just let whoever wants to pay; pay. For the next date you can always just be the one paying. Or 'split the bill' or just buy your own things. When I was going out with my bf of a year, we were paying for our own stuff on dates, it's just fair that way, especially if neither of you are 'rich' xD
It's really the same thing ? It originates from the past that men should pay because women didn't have enough money to look after themselves. I would find it personally a red flag, if a Women dosent offer and just expects me to pay for the first couple of dates before we're official.

Well it’s a good job I already have a BF then~
And I never said anything about ‘expecting’ them to pay automatically either
Original post by goggleyed
lol thats such a poor person response, a date hardly costs the earth so people need to stop acting as though it does. i usually pay the first time. its like £30 max ffs

!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending