The Student Room Group

Mum won't allow birth control

I've recently started dating a boy and we've both tried other things beside sex. I'm always very paranoid after we've done things like fingering or when he goes down on me because I'm worried a little bit of sperm got on his hands etc. It sounds far fetched but I've spent the last few hours worrying about these things. I brought up birth control to my mum (I didn't say I was sexually active I just mentioned side affects of it different medicine) and she seemed to be strongly opposed to the idea of it. She said she knew a girl who had suffered a stroke from it etc.

I understand the risks of hormonal birth control like the pill, my mum is very sceptical of doctors etc due to her past bad experiences. She's also really opposed to me getting vaccines- I am allowed to if I ask her but shes scared of the side affects of it. I want to go on birth control because it would take a lot of stress off my shoulders and my period have been very very heavy lately. I dont know how to convince her to let me get it or if there's another way of me getting it. Any replies really appreciated
How old are you? If you're 16 and above, it becomes a private matter with you and your nurse alone.
Reply 2
yeah if you're at least 14 or over you can get it without parental permission, just find a kind you're interested in and make an appointment at your GP or sexual health clinic :smile:
You can go to the doctors alone at any age (you don't have to be over 16) and you can get birth control that way - you do not need your parents' consent. This is especially true if you're over the age of 16 (but even if you're not, it still applies - the doctor may ask you a few additional questions about sex etc though). There is no minimum age for birth control either - I'm 15 and on it (had no issues with the doctors) :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you for the responses, will try get an appointment sometime this month. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest