The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

I used all my UCAS Choices and Extra, can I still use clearing?

Hi guys.

I recently used up all of my UCAS choices and then had a complete change of course choice and now want to apply to study at a different university. I have applied through the clearing section on the universities site and was wondering if I was given an offer, would I need to contact UCAS? as I have used all of my choices which is the problem.

Thanks
Original post by Birch1101
Hi guys.

I recently used up all of my UCAS choices and then had a complete change of course choice and now want to apply to study at a different university. I have applied through the clearing section on the universities site and was wondering if I was given an offer, would I need to contact UCAS? as I have used all of my choices which is the problem.

Thanks

So are you currently holding an offer from extra?
You can still use clearing yes, however if you meet any offer you are holding then you would have to ask them to release you into clearing on results day which could take some time by which point clearing spaces could be gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Yeah I currently am holding an offer through my extra choice. The only thing I am worried about if I were to be offered a place is that after I ask for my release they say that I have taken too long to be released so they withdraw my application.

Original post by Lemur14
So are you currently holding an offer from extra?
You can still use clearing yes, however if you meet any offer you are holding then you would have to ask them to release you into clearing on results day which could take some time by which point clearing spaces could be gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I currently am holding an offer through my extra choice. The only thing I am worried about if I were to be offered a place is that after I ask for my release they say that I have taken too long to be released so they withdraw my application.

When you get your clearing offer they will give you a deadline by which you need to accept the offer (if they don't, ask what it is because the chances are they'll have one even if they don't tell you). Let them know you are waiting to be released by your firm choice and that you definitely want the place (it's possible they may be able to extend the deadline while you wait).
If you are certain you want to be released from your firm choice, call them up now. Tell them that you know you will not want to take up the place and hence you would like them to release you after they have made the decision on your application with your results. Depending on the uni they may not actually manage to release you as requested before results day, but some unis will do this which would speed things up a lot, and if not then at least they know before results day and you can call them up to remind them on the day (remembering to ask for an estimate of when they will manage to do this).
Reply 4
oh that makes sense! If for example, I ask to be released now and do not get a place offered to me in clearing and I am left without a place at any uni. would I be able to go back to my firm choice uni course?

Original post by Lemur14
When you get your clearing offer they will give you a deadline by which you need to accept the offer (if they don't, ask what it is because the chances are they'll have one even if they don't tell you). Let them know you are waiting to be released by your firm choice and that you definitely want the place (it's possible they may be able to extend the deadline while you wait).
If you are certain you want to be released from your firm choice, call them up now. Tell them that you know you will not want to take up the place and hence you would like them to release you after they have made the decision on your application with your results. Depending on the uni they may not actually manage to release you as requested before results day, but some unis will do this which would speed things up a lot, and if not then at least they know before results day and you can call them up to remind them on the day (remembering to ask for an estimate of when they will manage to do this).
oh that makes sense! If for example, I ask to be released now and do not get a place offered to me in clearing and I am left without a place at any uni. would I be able to go back to my firm choice uni course?

No unfortunately you wouldn't. The only way to keep your firm choice uni while looking around at others would be to exceed the terms of your offer and use adjustment instead of clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending