The Student Room Group

Left uni with a third, what now?

Hi I graduated from University with a Third! I know what a lot of you will say, ive read before on other threads. BUT i was wanting to know if it is worth applying for a masters in health care, the course is still in clearing but unfortunately i do have a third. Has anyone ever got onto a masters with a third. The reason for me getting a third was because of my final year i had suffered with depression so this did affect my grades, but im really happy within myself that i completed uni.
If there is anyone that has been through this and got onto a masters please let me know and also another things that could help me get onto a masters
Nobody can really help You here. I got a 2:2 and had to do a third of a masters for my job. One of the hardest things ever. Maybe you should reconsider your options
Original post by hannaleigh
Hi I graduated from University with a Third! I know what a lot of you will say, ive read before on other threads. BUT i was wanting to know if it is worth applying for a masters in health care, the course is still in clearing but unfortunately i do have a third. Has anyone ever got onto a masters with a third. The reason for me getting a third was because of my final year i had suffered with depression so this did affect my grades, but im really happy within myself that i completed uni.
If there is anyone that has been through this and got onto a masters please let me know and also another things that could help me get onto a masters

A third makes things very difficult. I think rather than accept it I would transfer credits to somewhere like the OU and do the third year again if possible.
If you had a medical illness then you should have made an extenuating circumstances claim based on your illness and asked for resits or transferred. Not sure the OU can accept credits if you have cashed out..

http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/how-to-apply
I mean a high 2:2 possibly, but a III....thats not even an honours degree in some cases, which wont qualify you for anything really. Hopefully its a third from a prestigious place....if not...honestly only know of a teaching scheme that may help.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
A third makes things very difficult. I think rather than accept it I would transfer credits to somewhere like the OU and do the third year again if possible.
If you had a medical illness then you should have made an extenuating circumstances claim based on your illness and asked for resits or transferred. Not sure the OU can accept credits if you have cashed out..

http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/how-to-apply

Ive already graduated
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I mean a high 2:2 possibly, but a III....thats not even an honours degree in some cases, which wont qualify you for anything really. Hopefully its a third from a prestigious place....if not...honestly only know of a teaching scheme that may help.

this one is an honours but i guess that doesn't make much of a difference regardless

In what cases is a third not an honours degree?

Not like a degree being hons really matters and if you say "Oh I have a BA (Hons) in English" you need to be slapped.
No harm in applying :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by bekahw96
No harm in applying :smile:

I think that is what i will do for the next academic year, and hopefully get some experience by then. Does anyone know if it will be any use emailing the course leaders?
Original post by Notoriety
In what cases is a third not an honours degree?

Not like a degree being hons really matters and if you say "Oh I have a BA (Hons) in English" you need to be slapped.

A third can be a 40 which in some cases is awarded as an ordinary degree...degree without honours, look it up.
A third can be a 40 which in some cases is awarded as an ordinary degree...degree without honours, look it up.

Yeah, I am asking when that can happen. Don't just repeat it like it answers the question.
Original post by hannaleigh
I think that is what i will do for the next academic year, and hopefully get some experience by then. Does anyone know if it will be any use emailing the course leaders?

Which University will you be going for?

Quick Reply

Latest