The Student Room Group

Why does it say I have a seminar on my timetable?

I had my freshers day on Wednesday. Monday I’ll be officially starting my course. On my online timetable it says I have a seminar first thing in Monday morning. I’m so confused! Why a seminar on the first day?! Don’t you need notes and stuff from lectures first and then you attend seminars?
(edited 5 years ago)
Just a guess, but it could be a welcome lecture or something that's just been put down as a seminar for timetabling.
Original post by Femila098
I had my freshers day on Wednesday. Monday I’ll be officially starting my course. On my online timetable it says I have a seminar first thing in Monday morning. I’m so confused! Why a seminar on the first day?! Don’t you need notes and stuff from lectures first and then you attend seminars?

Check your VLE/Blackboard/equivalent and see if there's anything for that module. There might be a reading list, with compulsory reading to do for the seminar. Typically lectures are held before seminars for each module in my experience but not necessarily - lectures often outline the very basics of a topic, and in the seminars you'll discuss the readings you've done, not really the lecture itself (depending on your course; this is for more essay-based subjects).

However, if you can't find any work to do for that seminar, then don't worry. The first week of first year is likely to entail just icebreaker tasks and introductory talks.
Reply 3
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Check your VLE/Blackboard/equivalent and see if there's anything for that module. There might be a reading list, with compulsory reading to do for the seminar. Typically lectures are held before seminars for each module in my experience but not necessarily - lectures often outline the very basics of a topic, and in the seminars you'll discuss the readings you've done, not really the lecture itself (depending on your course; this is for more essay-based subjects).

However, if you can't find any work to do for that seminar, then don't worry. The first week of first year is likely to entail just icebreaker tasks and introductory talks.

Ohh makes sense thank u!!! What was your first seminar like? Was it scary? I heard u have to talk and stuff :frown:
Ohh makes sense thank u!!! What was your first seminar like? Was it scary? I heard u have to talk and stuff :frown:

Don't worry! Everyone's in the same position. Initial seminars, both in first and second year, were often along the lines of going round the room and everyone introducing themselves briefly, explaining the course and how to study, talking about assessment and answering questions. At that stage they're really not expecting anything from you and just want you to settle in well.

In 'proper' seminars where there's work to do, you'll be encouraged to participate - and it's definitely worth doing so as that's how you'll learn! - but again, it's not a scary experience at all. As long as you've done the readings you'll be fine. And if you're ever stuck or confused on anything, just ask questions; the whole point of seminars is to understand a topic better, so they're never testing you or trying to scare you or anything, they just want to help you learn through group discussion.
Don't worry, it's most likely that this "seminar" is just a meet up with your programme leader and coursemates. If it's anything like mine was you'll go around the room saying your name and an interesting fact about you (and then, if your programme leader is anything like mine, they will attempt to memorise your names and, by the end of the week, will be able to name all 60 of you)!
Reply 6
Don't worry! Everyone's in the same position. Initial seminars, both in first and second year, were often along the lines of going round the room and everyone introducing themselves briefly, explaining the course and how to study, talking about assessment and answering questions. At that stage they're really not expecting anything from you and just want you to settle in well.

In 'proper' seminars where there's work to do, you'll be encouraged to participate - and it's definitely worth doing so as that's how you'll learn! - but again, it's not a scary experience at all. As long as you've done the readings you'll be fine. And if you're ever stuck or confused on anything, just ask questions; the whole point of seminars is to understand a topic better, so they're never testing you or trying to scare you or anything, they just want to help you learn through group discussion.

I guess it’s normal to be nervous. Thanks a lot for your reply. Are they gonna split everyone into different seminars? Usually in a lecture there will be around 100 or more people. One classroom is not gonna be enough to fit everyone?
Reply 7

Original post by 2007PSanHa
Don't worry, it's most likely that this "seminar" is just a meet up with your programme leader and coursemates. If it's anything like mine was you'll go around the room saying your name and an interesting fact about you (and then, if your programme leader is anything like mine, they will attempt to memorise your names and, by the end of the week, will be able to name all 60 of you)!

Yeah I just hope everything will go well on Monday. Uni is a big place man. Thanks for your replies!
Reply 8
Original post by Joe1000000
Just a guess, but it could be a welcome lecture or something that's just been put down as a seminar for timetabling.

I hope that will happen
Reply 9
I had this too - it turned out it was just a welcome lecture like some others have said. The tutor wanted to introduce himself and give us some reading material before the first lecture.
I guess it’s normal to be nervous. Thanks a lot for your reply. Are they gonna split everyone into different seminars? Usually in a lecture there will be around 100 or more people. One classroom is not gonna be enough to fit everyone?

Yeah, seminars are a lot smaller - maybe up to 16 people, but can be much smaller depending on the size of the module and turnout. There will be several seminar groups, probably led by different tutors, that you'll have been randomly allocated into in order to fit with the rest of your timetable.
Reply 11
One thing to check - are you viewing your timetable for next week or the entire semester? I know at my uni, if we view the timetable for the whole semester, it will show every class we have that semester whereas if you specify the week, you can see only what you have that week. It might be that your seminar will begin in week two or three?
(edited 5 years ago)

Look at your timetable for the week after, or the week after that. This is what your typical timetable would be. It is quite unusual to have a seminar first thing on a Monday so it is likely an exception for the first week as others have said.

Thread move to University life.:smile:

It's not too bad. Usually in the first one they gather the whole course together, and pick on a few people randomly to come up and give a speech.
Reply 14
Original post by Speckle
It's not too bad. Usually in the first one they gather the whole course together, and pick on a few people randomly to come up and give a speech.

OMG speech? About what

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending