The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York General Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

And I thought geese are cute... emm...
University of York
York
They are normally, but they get very protective over their babies. That's the only time they've caused me problems
Reply 62
xKTx
They are normally, but they get very protective over their babies. That's the only time they've caused me problems

If a goose caused me problems I'd eat it?
You can't do that cos if you are caught, you get kicked out of the uni XD They're protected...
Reply 64
First name: Zoe

Course: Philosophy

Fave music: rock, indie, etc

Fave film: probably.. american beauty

Fave drink: drooool

Fave food: nothing like a good boston pancake in the morning!

Fave book: "the facts of life". that was good

School you went to - state, private or boarding: staaaaate

York-specific questions

Why do you love/hate ducks?

i love ducks! they always have a smile on their face! ..in the words of the epic richard madeley.

Why do you wear women's underwear?
because i have overcome my nappy fetish :smile:

Would you like to join any societies?
yes! :biggrin:
Reply 65
ChrisTheRockGod
First name: Chris

Course: English Language & Linguistics

Fave music: Classic rock, Alternative, Indie

Fave film: Pulp Fiction if I had t o pick one, but otherwise, I'll give anything a go that isn't a terrible-looking teen comedy, or a supernatural/zombie horror film.

Fave drink: My own urine, fresh.

Fave food: I like most food, not too fussy!

Fave book: I don't read enough books to have a favourite :/

School you went to - state, private or boarding: Private for 5 years in South Africa, then state for Year 7 - 11, and now state sixth form college.

York-specific questions

Why do you love/hate ducks?

Because I like the idea of them all coming together and forming their own kind of revolution... after all, we are outnumbered..

Why do you wear women's underwear?
I don't, unfortunately. There's still time :wink:

Would you like to join any societies?
Hopefully a band one, but a lot of them look good!

LMAO!
you make me sick :wink:
Just thought I would let everyone know that York won Roses (against Lancaster) at the weekend - 121-124. And it was away!
xKTx
Just thought I would let everyone know that York won Roses (against Lancaster) at the weekend - 121-124. And it was away!

Football? :p:
toothwort white
Football? :p:

Football, hockey, rugby, squash, badminton, fencing, swimming, waterpolo, trampolining, pool, snooker, darts, netball, lacrosse, tennis, martial arts, ballroom dancing, table tennis, basketball... Pretty much everything lol. It's the biggest varsity in the country apparently :smile:
Woah. :smile:
Reply 70
will any freshers next year not be living on campus?
I might not be ... although I will be within spitting distance lol. I will be SO CLOSE that it seems like it wouldn't matter ... but people are telling me I'd be crazy not going into halls and I will miss out. Anyone else in the same boat? Or anyone who lived off campus in their first year want to tell me horror stories or give me reassurance? Or any '08 freshers want to promise they will look after me and make me an honourary member of their flat and make sure I make friends in freshers week? :tongue:
Really, don't worry about living in halls. I think everyone has their doubts in the beginning, but unless you hide under your bed for the first month, you will make friends and get to know people.

I don't know about living off campus, but I would want to be close in my first year. Seeing as how you will only have a couple of hours max between lectures, most people just head back to their room between them, it can be unfeasible to go back to a house ages away...then again, crashing other people's rooms between lectures could get you somewhere :p:

I'll be on campus for most of the week next year because I'm 15-20 mins away, and will be poking around at freshers fayre with Fragsoc, so give me a shout if you're really stuck :p:
Reply 72
slugonamission
Really, don't worry about living in halls. I think everyone has their doubts in the beginning, but unless you hide under your bed for the first month, you will make friends and get to know people.

I don't know about living off campus, but I would want to be close in my first year. Seeing as how you will only have a couple of hours max between lectures, most people just head back to their room between them, it can be unfeasible to go back to a house ages away...then again, crashing other people's rooms between lectures could get you somewhere :p:

I'll be on campus for most of the week next year because I'm 15-20 mins away, and will be poking around at freshers fayre with Fragsoc, so give me a shout if you're really stuck :p:

:smile::smile:
it's just that I've heard most of the people you make friends with are people from your flat ... I'm a bit scared of missing out on that if I live off campus. But then I suppose if I live in halls, I could easily be with people I dislike or just people I don't really click with, so it's not guaranteed ...
but yeah, societies are also a Good Thing and there are a fair few I want to join (not sure I have the co-ordination for FragSoc though :redface:) so I'm sure I'll make friends through that.
The place I MIGHT be living is pretty much as close to campus as the off-campus Vanbrugh halls are so ... I'm not too worried about location.
Ah, fair enough then. You do make friends within your halls, but you're not limited to them, I have quite a few from my course and from random societies :smile:

Also, on the note of timetables, you think you have it bad, then recieve something like this

Our week 3 tutorial slot will be Thursday at 9.30.

Thankyou.

I'm sleep deprived as it is :mad:
Reply 74
what's the compsci first year schedule like? how many hours a week am I likely to be doing? are 9.30 starts not commonplace then?

(sorry for the questions :tongue: I'm excited now ...)
Approx (this was for us...)
1h tutorial a week

1h "personal development" in weeks 5 and 8. You're not assessed, so bring a laptop to play games through these. This replaces your tutorial for the week though.

3h Principles of Programming. The concepts are alright if you have ever programmed before (and done some OOP). You will probably be learning Scheme for this. You will swear at it at first, but it gets better :smile:. This is completely assessed through open assessments.

2h Intro to Computer Systems - this isn't bad at all :smile:

3h Intro to Digital Design. This will mainly be logic and related stuffs.

2h Intro to Computer Maths. Mainly logic again, but quite interesting :smile:. Colin is also an awesome lecturer if you get him :smile:

Then:
1h Intro to Computer Systems practical. You only have these for a couple of weeks, then some revision sessions nearer Christmas. The first lot are mainly to get you familiar with Linux. Just a word of warning...get familiar with Linux. Most useful stuff on the CS machines is only easily available in Linux. If you really want though, you can log into Linux, and then get remote desktop to Windows, so you can use both at the same time. You will only ever really need to use Linux though.

2h Principles of Programming practical. Just playing with Scheme mainly.

3h Intro to Digital Design. First ones mainly go over physicsy stuff you apparently should already know, or learn in the practical, and can be on allsorts. You will still be playing with electronics though. The later practicals cover actual digital design.

1h Intro to Computer Maths practical. Just covering lecture material really.

Approx 18 hours in total :smile:

In your first term, you don't have many 9:15s, but they can pile on in the 2nd term :frown:.

I now have 3 this term lol :/
Reply 76
I was poking around the uni's website today, when I stumbled upon this hidden treasure. It's fantastic, and it's filled to the brim with juicy stats delight for us all to enjoy!

I also found their webshop (!). Who knew they had one?

Oh, and here's some jewellry for the ladies.

:cool:
Reply 77
Balth
I was poking around the uni's website today, when I stumbled upon this hidden treasure. It's fantastic, and it's filled to the brim with juicy stats delight for us all to enjoy!

I also found their webshop (!). Who knew they had one?

Oh, and here's some jewellry for the ladies.

:cool:

:smile:

Aren't we lucky to have you!

:ta:
Reply 78
To pinch katwin's questions, what's the first year English Literature and/or Philosophy like? How many hours a week am I likely to be doing? Thanks.
Dunno, I do CS :p:

I know a few English students though, so I'll try and remember to ask later on tonight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending