The Student Room Group

Degree Apprenticeships

Could anyone just explain what actually happens when you do degree apprenticeships. Do you have to do part time Uni and take exams at the end? Also when applying for them what sort of things should I put on my CV??
Original post by unknown4545
Could anyone just explain what actually happens when you do degree apprenticeships. Do you have to do part time Uni and take exams at the end? Also when applying for them what sort of things should I put on my CV??

Hi

@brainzistheword can you help OP with this?

OP, it would also help if you gave a bit more detail as to the kind of degree apprenticeship you are applying for- this will help people advise you re your CV. However, in general your CV should cover your academic history and your work history (both voluntary and paid) as well as any other useful skills e.g. driving.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hi

@brainzistheword can you help OP with this?

OP, it would also help if you gave a bit more detail as to the kind of degree apprenticeship you are applying for- this will help people advise you re your CV. However, in general your CV should cover your academic history and your work history (both voluntary and paid) as well as any other useful skills e.g. driving.

I am looking to do a business management or some sort of finance or banking degree apprenticeship. Do you know what sort of skills these places look for and also do you know where I can find all the degree apprenticeships to apply for them.
I am looking to do a business management or some sort of finance or banking degree apprenticeship. Do you know what sort of skills these places look for and also do you know where I can find all the degree apprenticeships to apply for them.

You can search for apprenticeships here:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship but I'm not sure if there is a central database.

For finance type apprenticeships, companies will probably be looking for strong maths and IT skills. I imagine relevant experience, experience of paid work and long term volunteering would all work in your favour too.

Hi there! Some degree apprenticeships are different to others. For example, my degree apprenticeship is mostly distance learning so this means that I have all my modules, lecture videos and slides all on Canvas, which is a virtual learning environment. Twice per module I go to London for a workshop that covers all of the content of the module to ensure that they are fully understood in preparation for the assignment and exam. I don't actually go to a university (think of it like the Open University) but I'm working towards a BSc in Digital and Technology Solutions with the University of Roehampton, using 20% of my working time for studying. I do know that others (cough cough @brainzistheword @squirrology) do attend university on a weekly basis alongside working at their full-time jobs.

You can find an apprenticeship using this link here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship (this is how I found mine)

Feel free to ask any specific questions, happy to help. :smile:
You can search for apprenticeships here:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship but I'm not sure if there is a central database.

For finance type apprenticeships, companies will probably be looking for strong maths and IT skills. I imagine relevant experience, experience of paid work and long term volunteering would all work in your favour too.

Okay thankyou, also do I do an exam at the end of it? and is it like part time uni my college hasnt really explained it to me.
Okay thankyou, also do I do an exam at the end of it? and is it like part time uni my college hasnt really explained it to me.

I haven't done a degree apprenticeship myself so I'm not sure exactly how they are assessed or how the uni based sessions work.
Original post by Toy Soldiers
Hi there! Some degree apprenticeships are different to others. For example, my degree apprenticeship is mostly distance learning so this means that I have all my modules, lecture videos and slides all on Canvas, which is a virtual learning environment. Twice per module I go to London for a workshop that covers all of the content of the module to ensure that they are fully understood in preparation for the assignment and exam. I don't actually go to a university (think of it like the Open University) but I'm working towards a BSc in Digital and Technology Solutions with the University of Roehampton, using 20% of my working time for studying. I do know that others (cough cough @brainzistheword @squirrology) do attend university on a weekly basis alongside working at their full-time jobs.

You can find an apprenticeship using this link here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship (this is how I found mine)

Feel free to ask any specific questions, happy to help. :smile:

Thank you very much! What sort of skills do they look for? How long is your course and is there anything I can add to my CV that will make me a more desirable candidate?
I haven't done a degree apprenticeship myself so I'm not sure exactly how they are assessed or how the uni based sessions work.

Okay thank you very much!
Thank you very much! What sort of skills do they look for? How long is your course and is there anything I can add to my CV that will make me a more desirable candidate?

All in honesty they did not really ask for much. There were a few competency-based and logical skills questions on the role I was applying for, but it was mostly about the soft skills (organisation, teamwork, leadership, etc) they were assessing during the exercises and interview. Most importantly they do look for passion and enthusiasm for the role and the degree you'll be working towards so that you'd be a good fit for the team and will be committed towards your degree studies too.

My course is for 3.5 years. It's long, I know.. it can also be very demanding on top of a full-time job but so far I guess it's going well. :smile:

As for your CV, try and make it as applicable to the role as much as you can. You say you're into business/banking, so you could try and provide examples of activities that you've done to support this, like fundraising, mentoring or volunteering work. If you haven't done any of those, it's worth getting into as not only would it make you stand out, but you might also enjoy it.
Original post by Toy Soldiers
All in honesty they did not really ask for much. There were a few competency-based and logical skills questions on the role I was applying for, but it was mostly about the soft skills (organisation, teamwork, leadership, etc) they were assessing during the exercises and interview. Most importantly they do look for passion and enthusiasm for the role and the degree you'll be working towards so that you'd be a good fit for the team and will be committed towards your degree studies too.

My course is for 3.5 years. It's long, I know.. it can also be very demanding on top of a full-time job but so far I guess it's going well. :smile:

As for your CV, try and make it as applicable to the role as much as you can. You say you're into business/banking, so you could try and provide examples of activities that you've done to support this, like fundraising, mentoring or volunteering work. If you haven't done any of those, it's worth getting into as not only would it make you stand out, but you might also enjoy it.

Thank you very much!!

All degree apprenticeships are different, some vary in length and structure.

I'll speak from my experience:
1. I attend University every Monday, however, I am currently not attending as we are on break until October 1st. We've been on break since July.

2. We have block modes, where we have to attend university for a full 2 week period. In my circumstances, I had a 2 week block mode last October - where we studied the whole module within that period, during this time our assignment was released for this module and we had 3 months to complete it. We also had 2 exams which wasn't until January. My 2nd block mode was in July, again we completed a whole module in 2 weeks and we had the exam at the end of the 2 week period. We were also given an assignment which was due at the end of the month (only given a month to complete it)

3. I am now entering my 2nd year and the block modes are different - meaning that I can opt to take a block mode in either January or July as these are just optional modules.

4. Now, in terms of what to put in your CV is dependent on what you're actually applying for. In general terms, you need to demonstrate on your CV that you have good: Time Management Skills and Organisational skills - as these are essential skills for a degree apprenticeship as throughout the apprenticeship you will be prioritising Uni work and also Work that you're given when you're working at your employer.

@Toy Soldiers - thanks for tagging me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending