The Student Room Group

I got my ear lobes pierced 14 weeks ago and they haven't healed.

I got my ear lobes pierced at a professional piercing place. They seemed to be healed around 6 weeks after I got them done so I started changing the earrings.
Everything was fine until recently where they've started to hurt and bleed. I've only worn silver earrings, not the fake silver earrings since I'm allergic to that and it will make my ear lobe swell up.

I'm aware this isn't normal, these are the second holes in my ears and I think there's some cartilage where they were pierced.

The first time I got my ears pierced was at a hairdressers (yuck) with a gun and I didn't have any of these problems.

I can't figure out why they haven't healed, I followed all the care stuff and they seemed to have healed but now they're causing issues.

Should I go back to cleaning them twice a day again and not touching them to avoid infection? Is this because of where they were pierced? I know cartilage piercings take longer to heal.
How many times have you changed the earings? Healing takes about 3 months, if you have been changing them regularly that will slow that process.

Get rid of the Silver, put in some Titanium or Stainless Steel from a reputable brand. Go back to cleaning twice a day with a salt soak and don't touch them. If they continue to play up, go and see a good piercer to get some more specific advice.

As for cartilage it would be incredibly strange and/or incompetent to not be able to get a 2nd set of lobe piercings in without going anywhere near the cartiledge in your ears. Can't really make a judgement on positioning without a pic.
Reply 2
Original post by mojojojo101
How many times have you changed the earings? Healing takes about 3 months, if you have been changing them regularly that will slow that process.

Get rid of the Silver, put in some Titanium or Stainless Steel from a reputable brand. Go back to cleaning twice a day with a salt soak and don't touch them. If they continue to play up, go and see a good piercer to get some more specific advice.

As for cartilage it would be incredibly strange and/or incompetent to not be able to get a 2nd set of lobe piercings in without going anywhere near the cartiledge in your ears. Can't really make a judgement on positioning without a pic.

I've put in the titanium starter set I got when they were pierced.

I only changed the piercings to silver once and left them in. I only took them out once a week to clean the gunk from them.

The piercings are the furthest part of my lobe away from my neck, if that makes sense. It's not as soft as the area where my first piercing is.
Go back to your piercer and have them take a look at it. In the meantime resist changing them at all because this will further irritate them.

Quick Reply