The Student Room Group

How to revise French ?!

How do I revise French speaking's and writings efficiently I've tried so many different things
Reply 1
Reading a lot always helps for both, try watching french tv series with french subtitles, it’s easier to understand when reading
Reply 2
Original post by je_ssies
Reading a lot always helps for both, try watching french tv series with french subtitles, it’s easier to understand when reading

okay thank you, thats really helpful.
For vocab, use Memrise or Quizzlet. If you don't have one, ask your teacher to give you some vocab lists, so you can add them yourself. Spend about 15 minutes a day doing this.

For speaking, I find knowing verb synonyms (e.g. augmenter and accroître) ,so you don't repeat vocab in your speaking, to be really helpful.

Also (I don't know if this is relevant to GCSE) it's important to go over your topics. Memorise a few statistics, trends etc. This will help give you something to talk about.
I posted this on another thread a few months back but will reiterate here.

Also - I wouldn't recommend counting watching a French TV series as revision. Although you might pick up the odd word of vocab, it's use will be very limited in terms of trying to get you to improve your language and exam skills. By all means do it but don't think that it will pass your GCSE for you.

Where exactly do you feel you need help? Many people struggle with languages and this is mainly because the way you need to revise for them is completely different when compared with other subjects. For English and Science you can very easily cram with some YouTube videos online the night before and come out okay. This is not the case with languages. You need to devote time to them.

If it's grammar, then there are a huge number of YouTube resources for revision of all verbs / adjectives / pronouns etc. in French. They might not be directly related to the GCSE but you need to make sure you're confident with the pieces of grammar in the specification (which you can find on your exam board website). Verbs are by far the most important things to get you're head around. You need to be able to make sure you can use verbs in the present / passé composé / imperfect / near future / simple future / conditional tenses so you satisfy the requirements in your speaking exam and the writing part of the exam. Of course, you need to make sure you can recognise them in the listening exam and the reading part of the exam. Just have a search for videos on YouTube and you will find some. Make sure you are ready for the translation section as well by making sure your grammar is spot on.

If you're struggling with vocab, then you simply need to learn it. I have found that the best way to do this is to use Quizlet (www.quizlet.com) - you can find the vocab list in the specification on the Edexcel website. Copy and paste this into Quizlet and start learning from French to English. This way you will recognise much more in listening and reading exams which will allow you to answer the question and get the marks. Past papers and papers from other exam boards are also very helpful for this but you need to make sure that, once you've finished and marked the paper, you make a full vocab list and then upload this to Quizlet so you can learn it. Download the app and practise on your phone instead of using social media etc. or when you're in the car / on a bus. Little and often is most effective. Have a look at this person's Quizlet account with all of the topic based vocab on it: https://quizlet.com/syruso/folders/v2-french/sets

If you're struggling with the exam skills themselves, then you simply need to practise them.

Reading and listening - do past papers and learn vocab.

Writing and speaking - I wouldn't really recommend learning any vocab English to French for this. Instead, just practise, practise, practise. Use the list of topics from the spec and challenge yourself to just write 50 words about any topic (I would be more than happy to take a look at these if you would like me to! Although the whole point is so you can become dependent on your own French in your head, as you are by yourself in the exam). Make sure you are always using a range of structures etc. to get you the highest marks. I like the CROISSANT acronym:

Connectives
Reasons
Opinions
Infinitives + Intensifiers
Subjunctives
Star Phrases
Negatives
Tenses and Time Frames

Try to get everything in each time you write. Here is another resource which talks about impressive constructions: https://quizlet.com/169631923/v2-fre...s-flash-cards/

For speaking, the best thing to do as well is to practise by talking to yourself or in your own head. I know it sounds weird but it works. The fact is that the reason why people struggle with speaking (and writing) is that when using a language, there are so many things to remember all at the same time grammar and vocab wise that many find it really difficult. The ONLY way to get around this is to practise using it! If you do this, all of the grammar rules and vocab become internalised in your brain so you can make up sentences much more quickly. Don't worry too much about making mistakes with grammar. You will correct them over time. If you don't know a word, just use an English one and then look it up later. This way you will be really well prepared for your eventual speaking (and writing) exams.

I hope this helps.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by randomsheep11
For vocab, use Memrise or Quizzlet. If you don't have one, ask your teacher to give you some vocab lists, so you can add them yourself. Spend about 15 minutes a day doing this.

For speaking, I find knowing verb synonyms (e.g. augmenter and accroître) ,so you don't repeat vocab in your speaking, to be really helpful.

Also (I don't know if this is relevant to GCSE) it's important to go over your topics. Memorise a few statistics, trends etc. This will help give you something to talk about.

thanks
Reply 6
thank you this has really helped deffinatly going to use CROISSANT now !x
Ok ok j'étais rétardé mais je ne sais pas
Read books and if you are still a beginner in french there is no problem in reading children's books and watch movies with subtitles also movies can be children's so it's easy fir you to understand some of it and not get bored. You can also download an app called duolingo which is very helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending