The Student Room Group

Does anyone else get overly nostalgic?

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing well in my life. I have a boyfriend who I have a house with, I have a good job with a decent (well, very good actually) wage, and a good car plus hobbies that I enjoy.

But.. particularly recently, I've found myself getting overly nostalgic.

I miss being a child, and having nothing to worry about. I miss waking up every morning, having some breakfast while listening to music, and getting ready for school. I miss school and seeing my friends. I miss coming home and sitting in my cosy warm bedroom doing my homework (which I always enjoyed). I miss my mum shouting me downstairs for dinner, where the four of us would sit around the table, then eat dessert in front of the TV together.

I miss weekends where we'd go on family days out, even if only shopping, and I miss school holidays where we'd go away in the caravan and see new places and meet all kinds of people.

I miss that feeling I'd get at the beginning of a school holiday where days off just seemed to stretch ahead of me. I knew it'd take me a day to get all my homework done, then I'd be free, so I did that right away. I always made a list of things to do in the holidays, and my mum used to take me and my brother to all kinds of places.

I miss how excited I used to get about Christmas, Halloween, even Easter to a lesser extent. I remember not being able to sleep on Christmas Eve, and just loving every second of Christmas Day with my family, beautiful food, TV with nibbles in the evening and obviously some amazing presents too.

Now, I feel almost like I don't get excited about anything. I just have too much to do, and everything seems to cost a lot of money. Also, my parents split a couple of years ago, so nothing to do with family is the same anymore - it's now just stressful trying to see everyone I need to see, as we can't all just go out together anymore like we used to.

I just sit sometimes and long for that contentment that I had when I was sitting in my teenage bedroom chatting to friends on MSN, or I wish I had any kind of positive feeling at all about Christmas other than oh dear it costs so much, and when am I going to see Mum and Dad now I can't see them together.

It feels like, quite frankly, being an adult sucks. I had such an amazingly happy childhood, and teenage years, and time at uni as well to be honest, but since graduation - and more specifically since my parents split up - I feel like everything has been ruined, and I will never feel that uncomplicated happiness of childhood again.

Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me? I sometimes feel so down just thinking about how nothing is, or ever will be, the same.

I love my boyfriend and I love living with him, but there's just so much about the past that I miss, I could sit here listing things forever.
I completely agree with you! :smile:
I feel the same all the time!

Albeit I'm a teenager and not reminiscing about my teens but my childhood where everything was so simple!

I loved going to play in the garden with my family and friends, I loved playing on the playstation and going to my grandmother's house when there were big occasions were all of my family would be together...

Now everyone is doing their own thing and we only get to see each other sometimes.

I miss when I wouldn't have to worry about doing great in tests, about getting hwk done, about picking a university, about money and everything else too!

I miss the times when I would watch my all time favourite movies like Monsters Inc, Shrek and home alone.

I loved it when Christmas time would come near where although we didn't celebrate it we would all be at home in our warm nighties with the heating on and the lights dimmed watching Christmas movies!

I miss all of it :frown:

But... Hey! Ill probably feel the same way as you when I'm older reminiscing about my teen years :tongue:

Lol
I'm sorry about your family and wish you the very best! :smile:
Original post by Ariel2611
I completely agree with you! :smile:
I feel the same all the time!

Albeit I'm a teenager and not reminiscing about my teens but my childhood where everything was so simple!

I loved going to play in the garden with my family and friends, I loved playing on the playstation and going to my grandmother's house when there were big occasions were all of my family would be together...

Now everyone is doing their own thing and we only get to see each other sometimes.

I miss when I wouldn't have to worry about doing great in tests, about getting hwk done, about picking a university, about money and everything else too!

I miss the times when I would watch my all time favourite movies like Monsters Inc, Shrek and home alone.

I loved it when Christmas time would come near where although we didn't celebrate it we would all be at home in our warm nighties with the heating on and the lights dimmed watching Christmas movies!

I miss all of it :frown:

But... Hey! Ill probably feel the same way as you when I'm older reminiscing about my teen years :tongue:

Lol
I'm sorry about your family and wish you the very best! :smile:

I always used to go to see my grandparents at the weekend too but now there's so much I need to do on my days off work that I can't always get there, and even if I did, nobody else would be going so it's not the same.

I wish you all the best too, and I hope one day I will have a child so I can make sure their childhood is just as amazing as mine was (and hopefully not end in the way mine did, though obviously I can't predict that).
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I always used to go to see my grandparents at the weekend too but now there's so much I need to do on my days off work that I can't always get there, and even if I did, nobody else would be going so it's not the same.

I wish you all the best too, and I hope one day I will have a child so I can make sure their childhood is just as amazing as mine was (and hopefully not end in the way mine did, though obviously I can't predict that).

I hope the same too! :smile:
Yes at times, I really really really miss my childhood
Same :frown:.

Agreed. I think responsibility ruins things haha. I don't think I miss being a child either, I'm happy enough about how old I am.. I miss being happy though.
Same :frown:.

Agreed. I think responsibility ruins things haha. I don't think I miss being a child either, I'm happy enough about how old I am.. I miss being happy though.

Some things about being a child I don't miss though, I focus on them to stop being nostalgic. When you actually place yourself in the event as it was, you can see that it's almost as though you're looking at your childhood in rose-tinted glasses.

Sometimes, some things from the childhood can be re-created, or inspiration for somethings in our lives at the present, so you get some real good moments right now which you can be nostalgic about when you're old :lol:
That's so true! Hahaha :smile:
Not nostalgic, but rather shocked at how fast time is passing me by. It felt like just yesterday I was in school, studying for exams.

I don't feel nostalgic because I didn't enjoy school. I didn't enjoy that time period of my life, and to be honest, it was so restrictive that it didn't allow me to be who I really am. I wasn't even a fully formed person by that point because I was young, and not much of what I did mattered.

I am in the best point in my life I've ever been. I'm in University, have a part-time job and a partner. The only things I get overly nostalgic about are the amazing days that are passing me by. There's nothing special to my life from the outside looking in, but I'm hugely appreciative of what I have, and that's my main focus right now.

I would try to take an approach in accepting where you are today and appreciating it moreso, because in ten years from now you may be looking at the simple times you had with your boyfriend and wishing you didn't waste it wishing you were in school again. You may not have your idyllic childhood happiness where life wasn't complex, but you appear to be in pretty good standing and have someone to care for - and who cares for you. The little things are what matters most :smile:

Josh
Original post by Ariel2611
That's so true! Hahaha :smile:

I know :biggrin:
Don't get me wrong, I'm doing well in my life. I have a boyfriend who I have a house with, I have a good job with a decent (well, very good actually) wage, and a good car plus hobbies that I enjoy.

I miss being a child, and having nothing to worry about. I miss waking up every morning, having some breakfast while listening to music, and getting ready for school. I miss school and seeing my friends. I miss coming home and sitting in my cosy warm bedroom doing my homework (which I always enjoyed). I miss my mum shouting me downstairs for dinner, where the four of us would sit around the table, then eat dessert in front of the TV together.

I miss weekends where we'd go on family days out, even if only shopping, and I miss school holidays where we'd go away in the caravan and see new places and meet all kinds of people.

I miss that feeling I'd get at the beginning of a school holiday where days off just seemed to stretch ahead of me. I knew it'd take me a day to get all my homework done, then I'd be free, so I did that right away. I always made a list of things to do in the holidays, and my mum used to take me and my brother to all kinds of places.

I miss how excited I used to get about Christmas, Halloween, even Easter to a lesser extent. I remember not being able to sleep on Christmas Eve, and just loving every second of Christmas Day with my family, beautiful food, TV with nibbles in the evening and obviously some amazing presents too.

Now, I feel almost like I don't get excited about anything. I just have too much to do, and everything seems to cost a lot of money. Also, my parents split a couple of years ago, so nothing to do with family is the same anymore - it's now just stressful trying to see everyone I need to see, as we can't all just go out together anymore like we used to.

I just sit sometimes and long for that contentment that I had when I was sitting in my teenage bedroom chatting to friends on MSN, or I wish I had any kind of positive feeling at all about Christmas other than oh dear it costs so much, and when am I going to see Mum and Dad now I can't see them together.

It feels like, quite frankly, being an adult sucks. I had such an amazingly happy childhood, and teenage years, and time at uni as well to be honest, but since graduation - and more specifically since my parents split up - I feel like everything has been ruined, and I will never feel that uncomplicated happiness of childhood again.

Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me? I sometimes feel so down just thinking about how nothing is, or ever will be, the same.

I love my boyfriend and I love living with him, but there's just so much about the past that I miss, I could sit here listing things forever.

I legitimately feel these feelings every time I run out food. :biggrin:

I think it’s something that happens as you get older. It’s best to live in the present and cherish the past.
My childhood was a nightmare. Across the board abuse in care. No parents. Abandoned at birth. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
I like my life now, although the remnants of my past still haunt me.
I have a large family now and I try as much as possible to keep the past in the past.
Original post by Seamus123
My childhood was a nightmare. Across the board abuse in care. No parents. Abandoned at birth. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.
I like my life now, although the remnants of my past still haunt me.
I have a large family now and I try as much as possible to keep the past in the past.

The past belongs in the past, certainly.
Only for stuff like Bionicles and Doctor who
Reply 14
No. This is something I can never relate to, it just seems completely weird to me to either wish your life away for some future thing or waste time harking back to what is past. I've never had that mindset.
I'm a collector of memories- photos, childhood toys and books.
Since my uncle died last year, I sometimes like to remember his adventures and playmates during my childhood.
I suppose its a way to keep his memory alive as a healthy young man, instead of a victim of violent crime.

SAME!!!

I feel like im in those small child seats on a bicycle and time is a woman who is cycling me forward, even though i try to resist. But the way i get around it (at least a bit) is that my memories form cassete tapes ( :tongue: ) and when i die i can replay parts of my life. Same thing with subject choices. Right now i still miss my GCSE subjects / classes but hopefully i can create a new timeline in a way when i die. Even if its not possible, at least i'll pretend it is.

Quick Reply

Latest