The Student Room Group

Is there something wrong with me?

Hey guys.
I am 18 years old, male, and I have been studying at University the past months.I met many new friends and we hang out very often (we go out at least 2-4 times a week).Anyway, they have described me as a quiet guy which is true. But I feel terrible about this. I feel like a black sheep, that I don't belong to any community, that I am a weird person. I am also an introvert I think. Sometimes I enjoy staying home, going to the gym, playing games etc. I also recently got out of a 4 years relationship and that might have affected me.The thing is, people consider quiet people as weak, that's what I feel at least. For example my friends were joking around and one said I will probably go to jail soon (which didn't annoy me of course), and the other said ''Him? There is no way that would ever happen'', implying I am too quiet and too chill as a person. He had no intentions to hurt me of course and we joke a lot but I did feel bad. I constantly have to fake stuff. I hate it when they call me quiet. I hate being different. It's something I can't accept and has seriously destroyed my self esteem and confidence. I don't know how to cope with those feelings. Also, whenever I look someone into their eyes I have been told I give a rapist look. Not sure how to explain it. I have been told that by friends while they were joking (of course no intention on hurting me and ****) but it I feel bad about this kind of too. I normally look at them into their eyes but they say I look like a rapist from the way I do. That bugs me too.I feel like a loser to make it simple. I don't like talking a lot (even though I make many jokes etc) sometimes. Even with my parents/brothers, I don't talk a lot. So it's not about 'shyness'. I just don't love doing that.I know some of you are probably like me here but I want someone to help me out. It has been really exhausting and I hate it being considered 'weak', 'quiet', 'weird', 'different'. What is so wrong with being a quiet person?
Reply 1
nothing is wrong with you. I actually think being quiet is a good think because you don't say stupid things a lot and when you do make a joke or say something people won't expect it and it'll be funnier.
Nothing wrong with introversion, Imo it at least makes you better at specific tasks. But to get a job involves doing well at interviews, and most introverts have to learn that since talking isn't natural for them. Hope this helps
I feel the same way tbh. Being constantly told you’re quiet does ruin your self-esteem as you grow older but then when I know someone who’s quiet and nice I’d always have this admiration for them and that’s probably because I see some similarities between us. As long as you’re not a horrible b*tchy type of person then you’re good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending