The Student Room Group

Why do I worry and get emotional when there's nothing for me to worry about?

I get anxious over exams, that is normal I understand that.

But why do I worry and get emotional over things when there is honestly nothing for me to worry about!
I worry about others, when they'll be perfectly fine. I worry about everyone, I worry about the future and not getting a career. I worry about someone close to me passing away.
When ever a problem or something occurs my family, friends and teachers always say "don't let it consume you".
Original post by Anonymous
I get anxious over exams, that is normal I understand that.

But why do I worry and get emotional over things when there is honestly nothing for me to worry about!
I worry about others, when they'll be perfectly fine. I worry about everyone, I worry about the future and not getting a career. I worry about someone close to me passing away.
When ever a problem or something occurs my family, friends and teachers always say "don't let it consume you".

I relate to this so much, it is something I experience a lot too.

Are there things within your family which cause you to worry eg illness ? If not then it is still totally normal, but what I find it helpful is to pause and reflect on what you are doing currently. For example, of course if you think about the future and careers it will seem daunting and losing / seeing family members hurt is awful to think about, but if you can step back and notice “oh look my family is okay at the moment” or “i’m not doing badly at school” then it really helps as there is not much you can do to determine what will happen later in life, but its nice to be proud of what you are doing at the moment or be happy with what you have now :smile:
I know that a few years ago I had a similar issue. For me it took years to get over that (and even now still sometimes let a thought drill and gnaw on my mind) however it is something you have to sort of learn to overcome. I think it just requires slowly letting go of things and accepting it for how it is. There will always be some things that will remain gnawing in your head. That is normal. But for the other things, it just requires acceptance.

For the future, think of it for a while, then let the thought pass. There is no point dwelling on things that havent happened. The 'What if's'. There is also no point dwelling on the past, allow the memory to enter your mind, acknowledge it, then let it pass also. Concentrate on the present.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending