The Student Room Group

I suspect one of the students on my floor is putting nasty stuff in my food and drink

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bang Outta Order
:rofl:

what? its funny but true...lol

I paid like £6500 for my accommodation last year. The scrooges used to freaking, during winter, turn the heating off between 10 pm and 5 pm the following day. The reason they gave for this was that students are out at university or sleeping and so covered up. It used to become sooo freezing cold. I caught a cold like 50 times. My mum got fed up with it all. She baught me a small fan heater and she sent it to me by post. The accommodation manager reicves parcels in our flats and she was like you can't use this. Its not allowed because its a fire and electrical hazard. I kept whinging and whinging and whinging about the cold and wanting to use it until the guy that works for the accommodation site that I had befriended was like off the record "OK, listen this has nothing to do with fire and electrical safety""Its about saving money". "You'll never be allowed to use it".
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Pinkisk

I paid like £6500 for my accommodation last year. The scrooges used to freaking, during winter, turn the heating off between 10 pm and 5 pm the following day. The reason they gave for this was that students are out at university or sleeping and so covered up. It used to become sooo freezing cold. I caught a cold like 50 times. My mum got fed up with it all. She baught me a small fan heater and she sent it to me by post. The accommodation manager reicves parcels in our flats and she was like you can't use this. Its not allowed because its a fire and electrical hazard. I kept whinging and whinging and whinging about the cold and wanting to use it until the guy that works for the accommodation site that I had befriended was like off the record "OK, listen this has nothing to do with fire and electrical safety""Its about saving money". "You'll never be allowed to use it".

LOL, try and sneak one in.

Do they inspect your rooms or anything?

tbh I think that it's out of order. Provide them with details that the product has passed all electric safety checks etc and threaten to sue them if they don't let you use it.

on the flip side however students will literally leave the heating on ALL DAY if it's included in their bills so they are saving quite a lot of money
Reply 42
Original post by Pinkisk

Being cold doesn’t give you a cold, it is a bacterial illness.

I had student accommodation last year and this year and I get to use whatever I want and control my heating all the time. Good thing I didn’t use halls.
Original post by Pinkisk

No I totally understand you! I laugh cos I agree. It's not funny at all, it's just so true but funny how you worded it! I know all about getting no heating being a renter under a private slumlord in the Midlands... Shivering my knockers off as well. Those portable heaters are MINT but drainsss my lecky. It's not right to have paying tenants freezing.
Reply 44
Original post by Bio 7
Being cold doesn’t give you a cold, it is a bacterial illness.

I used to be of this opinion too, ...until one time on a very cold night out [snowing] I decided to wear a flimsy coat and not even zip it up [because i thought it would ruin my outfit], i probably waited over an hour in total for busses that night too.

within a couple of days i had come down with a VERY heavy cold, ...and being someone who typically gets colds one time or year or less ..it was pretty obvious to me that the cold weather had something to do it.

perhaps the cold weather lowers your temperature and that makes your body less able to fight virus's or something..
Original post by ANM775
LOL, try and sneak one in.

Do they inspect your rooms or anything?

tbh I think that it's out of order. Provide them with details that the product has passed all electric safety checks etc and threaten to sue them if they don't let you use it.

on the flip side however students will literally leave the heating on ALL DAY if it's included in their bills so they are saving quite a lot of money

They were soo anal with their inspections you could not get away with anything. The heater was safe for use indoors. I kept insisting it was safe and begging they allow me to use it until they were like listen this isn't about safety stupid its about money so stop your whining. They just didnt want to allow students to use heaters because running them was expensive.

I have a friend who lives in a private accommodation site. Her heater has a timer on it. You can control the timer. You can choose to have it on for half an hour, an hour, two hours or three. That is a reasonable, nonintrusive, non-gulag way of discouraging students from having their heating on all day, wasting electricity and polluting the environment....but at my accommodation it was just ridic. We constantly got emails from them during winter to put extra clothes on, double layers of socks and jumpers instead of turning the freaking heating on....and you're like..."the heating is on for only five hours a day. Give us a break you freaking stingy b words"!!!!

EDIT: They had controls on the thermostat too. The heating is programmed to turn off as soon as the room hits 22 degrees....which is kinda cold. So when they allowed us to have heating it wasn't on all the time and it wasn't that effective.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 46
Start taking notes of times you feel sick to figure out what food it is/when the food is getting spiked. See if the place and time matches up with anyone's patterns . Offer food to hallmates you suspect to see if they reject. If he/she doesn't reject the food and doesn't get sick, said piece of food isn't spiked/it's all in your head. If he/she doesn't reject and gets sick, they didn't do anything but the food is spiked. Another possibility is that he/she knows that you're on to him/her so he/she pretendeds no to know. If he/she rejects the food, don't eat it, add them to your pool of suspects and keep looking for patterns. You can also keep record of the food you eat. Soup may be messed with one way, a sandwich another. This limits the pool of methods and supplies used by the suspect. Ask your GP about your symptoms. If you find that nothing is wrong with your diet and you don't just have a runny nose and a wild imagination, a chemist/doctor etc.. May be able to identify what is making you sick and where the suspect may have acquired it from. There's loads of other advice i could give but it looks like everything has already been said.(; Peace!
Is it a slow revision day?
Honestly, this must be a hoax! Check the state of the food you're eating - how much out of date 'fresh' food? how much half eaten tinned stuff? How many re-cycled take-away meals? Do any of you know how to cook.

And you've been ill for a couple of months and not been to see a doctor? Just how stupid do you need to be to get into your uni?
Go with your gut inkstinked. Put something in there food a dit of laxative tablet see how they like it, or report them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending