The Student Room Group

Birthday party, nervous

I've recently turned 18 and I'm going to have a party for it. I've invited 12 of my friends and rest family but I'm so nervous for it. Such as I'm nervous about the dj playing awful music or music that people don't like so they won't dance or that no one is going to show up.

Anyone else felt like this before a party?
Original post by Anonymous
I've recently turned 18 and I'm going to have a party for it. I've invited 12 of my friends and rest family but I'm so nervous for it. Such as I'm nervous about the dj playing awful music or music that people don't like so they won't dance or that no one is going to show up.

Holy **** YES. I wanted friends away from family because I wanted everyone to enjoy themselves. But then when I had the party - I was kinda sad my friends weren’t there. It depends on your family I guess - are they the kind of outgoing people that like a good dance every now and then? If so, you’re party will be great and everyone will have an amazing time! I know someone that had an 18th and completely failed! Her family isn’t very party-pro but had basically the entire sixth form invited too and the music was AWFUL - done by a guy from her sixth form. It depends on how it’s been arranged.

I think 12 is a good amount of friends to invite over. How many in total are invited? If it’s 50+ then I think you should be prepared to attend to and say hi to everyone during the evening - my party had around 100 people (family + family friends) and I’m a very awkward person so I didn’t know what to do when I wanted to get people dancing so I grabbed my extremely modern aunt and we danced to Ay Caramba 😂😂😂 - I had no clue what the song was at the time so I just danced really awkwardly.

Don’t forget that attention is on YOUUU!!! if you want to dance - get other people off their arses and dance with them!! As soon as you start dancing the rest will join in! X
Reply 2
Holy **** YES. I wanted friends away from family because I wanted everyone to enjoy themselves. But then when I had the party - I was kinda sad my friends weren’t there. It depends on your family I guess - are they the kind of outgoing people that like a good dance every now and then? If so, you’re party will be great and everyone will have an amazing time! I know someone that had an 18th and completely failed! Her family isn’t very party-pro but had basically the entire sixth form invited too and the music was AWFUL - done by a guy from her sixth form. It depends on how it’s been arranged.

I think 12 is a good amount of friends to invite over. How many in total are invited? If it’s 50+ then I think you should be prepared to attend to and say hi to everyone during the evening - my party had around 100 people (family + family friends) and I’m a very awkward person so I didn’t know what to do when I wanted to get people dancing so I grabbed my extremely modern aunt and we danced to Ay Caramba 😂😂😂 - I had no clue what the song was at the time so I just danced really awkwardly.

Don’t forget that attention is on YOUUU!!! if you want to dance - get other people off their arses and dance with them!! As soon as you start dancing the rest will join in! X

Aww thank you so much for this, I really needed to read something like this I've read so many stories on here saying that had like over 200 people max attend it just made me think that my comparison is kinda crap.

And yess my finally is exactly like that, they like a good party now and then haha !!

Thank youuu!!

YEP. my 18th was in september and I invited 12 friends to eat. 3 turned up. ngl i was VERY upset since i didn't invite anyone else thinking that I woanted my friends to have the best time ever. looking back i would've loved to have a family + friends party like yours because you won't be so focussed on individual people and you will be surrounded by everyone who wants to celebrate w you. so don't be worried! Hope you have an amazing party xxx
Reply 4
YEP. my 18th was in september and I invited 12 friends to eat. 3 turned up. ngl i was VERY upset since i didn't invite anyone else thinking that I woanted my friends to have the best time ever. looking back i would've loved to have a family + friends party like yours because you won't be so focussed on individual people and you will be surrounded by everyone who wants to celebrate w you. so don't be worried! Hope you have an amazing party xxx

Aw sorry to here about that & thank you for this I really appreciate it!! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending