The Student Room Group

Regret buying a 17 inch laptop for uni

Hello.
I have recently bought a 17 inch laptop for uni but it is far too big for lectures. I can barely see the board.
What do I do? I want to return the laptop but my parents live far away and won't be here anytime soon. This issue is stressing me out and I want to replace this with a smaller laptop fast.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just as a side note my parents bought the laptop which is why I say that they live far away.
Ask them to send you the receipt and exchange it
Reply 3
Original post by usman baig
Ask them to send you the receipt and exchange it

They bought it with their credit card. The refund needs to go back on there.
Get them to send there card, that’s your only option tbh since they live far x
Reply 5
Yeah mine was 15 inch. It was good and bad.

I liked the fact that I could watch films/shows etc and not feel as if i was looking at a tiny screen, and I think its nicer to write essays/read from a bigger screen.

However, I didn't take it to campus most of the time which can be a pain. Only took it when I had to. I ended up buying a small one for around £100 just to take to lectures/seminars etc.Quickly broke though...get what you pay for.
Buy 3 bubble wraps, use all three rolls to wrap the laptop. It should be enough if you use all three to wrap the laptop. It won't break if it has 3 rolls of protection. Send it back and buy a new one, ideally 14 inch, which I can tell you from experience is the perfect screen size.
Reply 7
It's a question of practical use for doing work at uni or procastination use for watching things when you should be working. A students screen size says a lot about them haha
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Hello.
I have recently bought a 17 inch laptop for uni but it is far too big for lectures. I can barely see the board.
What do I do? I want to return the laptop but my parents live far away and won't be here anytime soon. This issue is stressing me out and I want to replace this with a smaller laptop fast.

You'll find that you can't return it after you've used it unless there's something wrong with it. "too big" is not an excuse.
Maybe ask them for the credit card details as well as the receipt and go from there

I don't think sendingcredit cards by post is a good idea tbh :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by thestudent33
I don't think sendingcredit cards by post is a good idea tbh :biggrin:

Tell that to every banking institution in the country!
Original post by IWMTom
Tell that to every banking institution in the country!

Do they send activated credit cards by post???

I thought they send the card then you activate it??? :confused:
Hello.

if i could go back in time and do one thing differently at uni it would be to print off lecture notes and annotate them during lectures,
rather than writing on a blank notepad or typing on a laptop
Reply 14
Original post by thestudent33
Do they send activated credit cards by post???

I thought they send the card then you activate it??? :confused:

Let's face it, the majority of card activations only require the long number (and sometimes the date of birth)!
Original post by IWMTom
Let's face it, the majority of card activations only require the long number (and sometimes the date of birth)!

Never knew that before! :biggrin:

Seems like a pretty insecure way of doing things imo
You are correct unfortunately.

The cardholder needs to be present for a refund.
I doubt you'll be able to return it now. You could just keep it to do work at home and get something smaller for uni like a notebook. You don't really need a laptop for note taking at uni. It would be easier to use paper and pen.
Hello.

You can’t return it unless it has a fault at this point.

Best just to buy a tiny laptop for notes in class they are very cheap these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending