The Student Room Group

Form tutor claims universities will find out about my attendance???

Im currently in Year 12, and I am constantly late to form.

I intend to sort this out and hope to start attending form on-time, starting on Monday.

My form tutor has started to tell me and my friend that my poor attendance to form periods will be put on my UCAS application, when applying to universities.

This has worried me as she has only told me this now, and I don't know if I would have enough time to bring my attendance, as a percentage, back up to scratch.

Is she telling the truth? Do universities actually find out about your attendance in your sixth-form?

If so, how would a poor attendance affect my prospects for being accepted into very competitive university courses?
Under GDPR you have the right to know how your data is used, I suggest you write to the school and ask how your data is used.
Reply 2
Original post by Decahedron
Under GDPR you have the right to know how your data is used, I suggest you write to the school and ask how your data is used.

Ok will do.

Did your attendance get put on your UCAS form ?
Reply 3
Original post by Asada786
Im currently in Year 12, and I am constantly late to form.

I intend to sort this out and hope to start attending form on-time, starting on Monday.

My form tutor has started to tell me and my friend that my poor attendance to form periods will be put on my UCAS application, when applying to universities.

This has worried me as she has only told me this now, and I don't know if I would have enough time to bring my attendance, as a percentage, back up to scratch.

Is she telling the truth? Do universities actually find out about your attendance in your sixth-form?

If so, how would a poor attendance affect my prospects for being accepted into very competitive university courses?

I believe the universities only find out about that kind of thing through your reference.
Reply 4
Original post by xAikx
I believe the universities only find out about that kind of thing through your reference.

Ughhh fgss. My form tutor is going to write my reference so shes most likely going to put it down then I guess.

Ima buy her a cupcake tomorrow to calm her down
Reply 5
Ughhh fgss. My form tutor is going to write my reference so shes most likely going to put it down then I guess.

You'll be fine, just wake up a bit earlier and you'll be fine. If you're suppose to be there tomorrow morning then go to bed now? xd

I haven't heard of a single referee that writes bad stuff in your reference. They usually omit the good stuff though, so jf you have poor attendance they might not write "is punctual and has great attendence or the right attitude to work".
Get someone else to write the reference. I suspect the tutor is trying to get you to get your act together.
I believe it would be aainst the referee guidelines.
Ok will do.

Did your attendance get put on your UCAS form ?

If it did then I'm shocked that I got into uni, I had a truly awful attendance.
Reply 9
Original post by xAikx
You'll be fine, just wake up a bit earlier and you'll be fine. If you're suppose to be there tomorrow morning then go to bed now? xd

Im doing some last minute revision for a Biology mock that I have tomorrow, after today I'm going to go bed early so I can get to school on time.

I have so much work to do which causes me to stay up all night, meaning that I'm tired in the morning which makes me late. Hopefully im gunna get this sorted.

Thanks anyways!
Reply 10
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
I haven't heard of a single referee that writes bad stuff in your reference. They usually omit the good stuff though, so jf you have poor attendance they might not write "is punctual and has great attendence or the right attitude to work".

Ahhh righttt igyy. Thanks for that. Thats calmed me down a little
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
Get someone else to write the reference. I suspect the tutor is trying to get you to get your act together.
I believe it would be aainst the referee guidelines.

I guess I could just get another teacher to write me reference then. Thanks!
I guess I could just get another teacher to write me reference then. Thanks!

There are guidelines on writing UCAS references and I believe this would be contrary. If you cant trust her/him then get someone else. I suspect its just to encourage you to get your act together.
Reply 13

(Original post by Asada786)Im currently in Year 12, and I am constantly late to form.

I remember worrying alot about this in college (years ago), its usually just a technique they use to get you in earlier.
It wont be on your UCAS and they most certainly wont write it on your reference - theyre there to help you, not hinder you.
No it wont affect your place at uni - they want good grades, but you should still better your attendance:smile:
Original post by 999tigger
There are guidelines on writing UCAS references and I believe this would be contrary. If you cant trust her/him then get someone else. I suspect its just to encourage you to get your act together.

It’s not against UCAS (or any other guidelines) to put negative information in a reference. As long as the information is true and can be proven then poor attendance and punctuality is completely appropriate for a ucas reference.

It probably is a scare tactic from the teacher (most teachers don’t want to provide a bad reference) - but it’s a genuine risk of poor study habits in sixth form resulting in a true reference reporting that to universities.

Given that university study requires a lot more self discipline and motivation than sixth form then poor attendance/punctuality is a very risky habit to have in sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending