The Student Room Group

Unconditional offers

Everybody says if you get offered unconditional it means the university is desperate(I applied to poly universities)
Me and my friend applied to the same university for the same course and I got offered unconditional and she got offered conditional, does that show they are still desperate?
Reply 1
I wouldn't say desperate is the right word - Birmingham gives out unconditionals and I don't think it's short on applicants.
Did you get the offers at different dates?
Reply 2
Original post by Wrightmilliee
Everybody says if you get offered unconditional it means the university is desperate(I applied to poly universities)
Me and my friend applied to the same university for the same course and I got offered unconditional and she got offered conditional, does that show they are still desperate?

There’s a number of reasons unis give unconditionals out. The cynical would say they give out unconditionals because students are worth money to them, so more unconditionals = more students firming them = more money for the uni. But it might also be they really liked your application and don't want you to go elsewhere.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about why you've got the offer. If it's your university of choice then simply be glad you've got the offer and firm them. If you don't want to go there then don't let the unconditional sway you. Go where you want to go regardless of what the offer is.
Original post by Sinnoh
I wouldn't say desperate is the right word - Birmingham gives out unconditionals and I don't think it's short on applicants.
Did you get the offers at different dates?

I got 4/5 unconditionals from December 18-January 23. And because they aren’t “Of universities”, people are saying it’s because they’re desperate. But If Birmingham are also giving them out that’s more reassuring thanks.
Original post by HT2412
There’s a number of reasons unis give unconditionals out. The cynical would say they give out unconditionals because students are worth money to them, so more unconditionals = more students firming them = more money for the uni. But it might also be they really liked your application and don't want you to go elsewhere.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about why you've got the offer. If it's your university of choice then simply be glad you've got the offer and firm them. If you don't want to go there then don't let the unconditional sway you. Go where you want to go regardless of what the offer is.

Okay thanks that’s really good advice, I think I should stop caring what others say and concerntrate on what I want.
Original post by Wrightmilliee
Okay thanks that’s really good advice, I think I should stop caring what others say and concerntrate on what I want.

Quite right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending