The Student Room Group

Chronic health conditions

Hey,

I am studying for my AS exams right now and I am disabled. I have 3 forms of epilepsy, 10 types of seizures and have around 60+ seizures each day. I was also just diagnosed with a heart condition called atrial fibrillation. If any of you also have chronic health conditions, do you have any tips on how to catch up with work? How to manage the work load and how to emotionally deal with having the added pressure of your health?

PS: This also includes mental health conditions! I also suffer with generalised anxiety, 2 phobias, social anxiety, PTSD and depression.
Reply 1
only recently I have began to struggle with physical health issues so I cant offer much help there, however in terms of suffering with anxiety and it preventing me from working, the best way I found to catch up was not to stress myself out about it, otherwise I would end up sitting and not doing any of my work. I am the kind of person who prefers do to lots of work at once rather than a little bit at a time and part of that has likely grown from the knowledge that I sometimes am not in the right space to complete any work. For more practical advice you could talk to teachers/tutors about which work is the most important about what you need to catch up on
Reply 2
Original post by Xenobee
only recently I have began to struggle with physical health issues so I cant offer much help there, however in terms of suffering with anxiety and it preventing me from working, the best way I found to catch up was not to stress myself out about it, otherwise I would end up sitting and not doing any of my work. I am the kind of person who prefers do to lots of work at once rather than a little bit at a time and part of that has likely grown from the knowledge that I sometimes am not in the right space to complete any work. For more practical advice you could talk to teachers/tutors about which work is the most important about what you need to catch up on

Thank you, I really struggle with having to study whilst i’m suffering so badly.
I was suspected of having epilepsy for a while and was having episodes frequently but currently they think I mighty have myoclonic dystonia. I've missed a lot of lessons, I generally try and get either someone to send me the notes, either photos of handwritten notes or an email of typed notes and then I high light/annotate the lesson or I try and get the teacher's powerpoint and then use that. I take A-level history and so if I miss a lesson it can be pages of notes to catch up on. I often email the teacher as I am missing the lesson and they send me the work/notes across so I'm not behind.

Coral

Quick Reply

Latest