The Student Room Group

Started a new job, but going to uni, how do I tell them?

I applied for uni in September with every intention of going, but needed something to do for the year so also applied for a job which looked pretty good. I got the job, as a permanent position, but didn't mention uni because I assumed it would be fine leaving after 11-12 months.
Fast forward to January, and I had an offer from Cambridge, which I will obviously take.
They began the pre-employment checks as soon as I got the job but subsequent delays meant they weren't complete until end of January. I was tempted to tell them about uni, but felt as they had gone to the effort of doing all of the checks, I should at least work for some time.
Now working, and not particularly enjoying it, it's not what it was sold to be in the advert, and know I will be leaving in a few months anyway for uni, yet haven't mentioned it at all to them.
When should I tell them, should I just leave it to my latest notice period and tell them early summer, even though I'm not really enjoying it? Or do I just let them know now, and just work until they find a replacement?

Advice would be really appreciated.
Do you need the money? If so I’d give notice at last possible point and maybe say you got into university at clearing after that.
If you don’t need he moved then resign now, say it’s not for you, rather than get them settled into you. Go whilst still in probation and they could maybe offer the runner up the role.
Also depends if this company or industry is one you see yourself staying in the future and may go back to some day so want to keep on their good side.
Just seen it’s Cambridge so probably not believeable to get that through clearing!
Original post by poseidons
I applied for uni in September with every intention of going, but needed something to do for the year so also applied for a job which looked pretty good. I got the job, as a permanent position, but didn't mention uni because I assumed it would be fine leaving after 11-12 months.
Fast forward to January, and I had an offer from Cambridge, which I will obviously take.
They began the pre-employment checks as soon as I got the job but subsequent delays meant they weren't complete until end of January. I was tempted to tell them about uni, but felt as they had gone to the effort of doing all of the checks, I should at least work for some time.
Now working, and not particularly enjoying it, it's not what it was sold to be in the advert, and know I will be leaving in a few months anyway for uni, yet haven't mentioned it at all to them.
When should I tell them, should I just leave it to my latest notice period and tell them early summer, even though I'm not really enjoying it? Or do I just let them know now, and just work until they find a replacement?

Advice would be really appreciated.

Essentially, it doesn't really matter. Use the situation to your advantage. Find out the minimum notice period and give them that. If you're not enjoying the job then it's just tough on them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending