The Student Room Group

Should I go University or not?

Hi guys

I need advice whether to go university this September or next year.
or take the apprenticeship route.

Quick qualifications background.. I have BTEC Level 2 Employability, GCSE English Language - C, French - C, Citizenship - D, OCR Level 1/Level 2 ICT - Level 1, OCR Level 2 Science - Distinction*.
Currently progressing on GCSE Maths... (confident i'll pass this year)

I'm 21 years old currently at college and studying GCSE Maths - Adult Education and working part-time as Health Care Assistant (Nights).
I want to study Digital Marketing or Marketing itself as it interests me and also, known to be as a high income skill.

However, ever since I've read 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' (The importance of financial literacy). My whole perspective of going university has pushed me back a little.. back of my mind, I would like to start a business.. e-commerce business.

Thing is I always said to myself I would like to go university and experience it.. experience being independent.. being around students and meeting new friends.. having fun and of course getting my undergraduate degree.

What should I do?
(edited 5 years ago)
Well you have plenty of time to decide. Have you applied for university/apprenticeships for this year? You can apply for both without giving up the other option.

One thing to look into in deciding where to study (if you go down the university route) is to ask about the support they offer for student start up companies. Many universities will have some sort of facility providing cheap/free office space and support for student businesses which can help a lot with getting your own business set up while still getting to experience university life at the same time. If you do choose the university route then you aren't committing to complete the entire degree either - you can always choose to leave after one or two years with an early exit award if your business takes off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending