The Student Room Group

Grey hair at 20 😱😱😱

Someone might be able to help?

So I’m 20 year old female and I started going grey about 18, however now I’ve noticed that there is a significant about of grey hairs now, to the point that I’m having to tie you hair up to try and hide them. The grey hairs are mainly in my hair parting but are very noticeable.

I have read up that in some cases that greying is due to genetics but sometimes there can be an underlining conditions such as vitamin b12 deficiencies. I was wondering whether anyone has been through a similar situation or had visited their GP with regards to it?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Nixon98

So I’m 20 year old female and I started going grey about 18, however now I’ve noticed that there is a significant about of grey hairs now, to the point that I’m having to tie you hair up to try and hide them. The grey hairs are mainly in my hair parting but are very noticeable.

I have read up that in some cases that greying is due to genetics but sometimes there can be an underlining conditions such as vitamin b12 deficiencies. I was wondering whether anyone has been through a similar situation or had visited their GP with regards to it?

Thanks

Just own it, you might as well.

Also I'd have preferred to go grey than bald. Ultimately though I didn't get the choice.
Reply 2
I’ve had grey hairs since 14/15, it’s either stress or genetics. I thought it could be a deficiency and went to see my GP asking for a blood test but the results didn’t suggest anything, no deficiencies or any signs of stress so it’s genetic. Usually it won’t spread, I’ve had a similar amount since 15, if anything it’s gone down as ive improved my health and diet over the last few years
I got my first few gray hairs at around 14, mainly due to stress, family issues and exams. I'm 21 now and I have a bit more 😭😭😭
Thinking about dying my hair aswell. But don't worry you ain't the only one.
Original post by Nixon98

Thanks

my fur is going white
people say it's stress related :sadnod:
I started getting some greys when I was about 21, and now I have noticeable (to me) amount, but because my hair is blonde, other people don't notice. I've used a home hair dye a few times which covers it really well and is super easy to apply, so maybe that would be an option for you? It's well overdue another lot of dye, but the colour is pretty much the same as my hair so I've left it a while. It might be a good option for you though, as it is honestly very easy to do, and you can get decent dye for £10.
Reply 6
I do have dark blonde hair so maybe a trip to the hairdressers to go lighter might be a option to cover them up. Lucky I don’t have them in my hair line (yet) so I have been tying it back most days.

Thank you for you reply
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I started getting some greys when I was about 21, and now I have noticeable (to me) amount, but because my hair is blonde, other people don't notice. I've used a home hair dye a few times which covers it really well and is super easy to apply, so maybe that would be an option for you? It's well overdue another lot of dye, but the colour is pretty much the same as my hair so I've left it a while. It might be a good option for you though, as it is honestly very easy to do, and you can get decent dye for £10.
Reply 7
Thank you for your reply! Can I ask how you changed your diet? I’ve definitely noticed that new hairs that are coming through are grey, maybe I’ll visit my GP for blood test as I’ll be more aware that Isn’t something that I can treat maybe by medication.

Thank you!
Original post by 3121
I’ve had grey hairs since 14/15, it’s either stress or genetics. I thought it could be a deficiency and went to see my GP asking for a blood test but the results didn’t suggest anything, no deficiencies or any signs of stress so it’s genetic. Usually it won’t spread, I’ve had a similar amount since 15, if anything it’s gone down as ive improved my health and diet over the last few years
Reply 8
Original post by Nixon98
Thank you for your reply! Can I ask how you changed your diet? I’ve definitely noticed that new hairs that are coming through are grey, maybe I’ll visit my GP for blood test as I’ll be more aware that Isn’t something that I can treat maybe by medication.

Thank you!

Just cut out loads of junk, no processed foods, unhealthy snacks became treats and not daily nibbles, more fruit and veg, more protein, less fats, foods with high nutrition etc etc. has improved my mind, hair and skin, especially since I was acne prone. Sometimes i would pull out my greys only to see they were coloured at the other end, it was weird. Still dont know what causes but always keep fit and healthy
Original post by Nixon98

Thanks

I got my first grey hair when i was about 6, 17 nearly 18 now and similar to you my parents like me to tie my hair up to hide it as its in the natural parting. For me it is defo a combo of stress and genetics. True i did get in trouble from school a bit (they thought i dyed individual strands of my hair grey/silver) but now its kinda funny when people point it out.

If you want the hairs gone, hair dye might help with that. If not its a good convo starter

Quick Reply

Latest