The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan: Need help understanding!

Hi! So im going to be staying at home whilst i study and Im planning on going to a London based uni and live just outside the city in Havering. I would be travelling each day by train, and Im aware that i can get a discounted student travel card. However, me nor my parents would be able to fund the extra expenses such as travelling, books, resources etc , as well as any other things that may come up during my time at uni. I was wondering if a maintenance loan covers this since Im not going to be staying in residency at the campus. Also, if i apply for a maintenance loan will it affect my initial student finance application for tuition fees.Say for example, I am not eligible for a maintenance grant, will this impact my tuition loan? Thank you!
You still get a maintenance loan if you’re living at home. The amount you can get for maintenance is lowered though.

That doesn’t affect your entitlement to a tuition fee loan.
Reply 2
Perfect, thanks so much!
Hi Maisie,

Unfortunately we no longer have Maintenance Grant. However, you can apply for a Maintenance Loan based on your household income if you meet our eligibility criteria.
If you are living with your parents we would assess you for Maintenance Loan at the 'parental rate'.

Thanks, Tégan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending