The Student Room Group

Sales assistants of TSR, what annoys you most when you're working?

e.g. having to re-fold clothes constantly, rude customers etc.

Scroll to see replies

i can call my manager but theyll just say the same stuff i said so..............................
Sharing tills. I work in a department store and we now only have 3 tills on our entire floor, which is relatively big and can get pretty busy. Nightmare.
Reply 3
Original post by barror1
Sharing tills. I work in a department store and we now only have 3 tills on our entire floor, which is relatively big and can get pretty busy. Nightmare.

Yikes! I'm glad I work in a fairly large store lol
Reply 4
Personally I hate it when a customer asks me about something being in stock (which we have never stocked) and they say "oh, you had it in X branch..." Why didn't you buy it there instead?! :confused:
Customers.

Spoiler

Original post by artful_lounger
Customers.

Spoiler

Yes same haha :biggrin:
Reply 7
When i'm on the till and the customers are on the phone. Just think its so rude, I'm serving you so can you look at me
Reply 8
Original post by ANJXLA
When i'm on the till and the customers are on the phone. Just think its so rude, I'm serving you so can you look at me

I hate that too! Just put your phone down for two seconds so I can ask you if you're paying by cash or card and if you want a bag :argh:
Original post by ANJXLA

The only time I will make an exception to this is if they have to take a call. Amazingly, I don't mind serving people in silence :laugh:
Reply 10
They could just say ‘sorry I’m being served at the moment I’ll call you back in two seconds’ sometimes I need to ask them questions and I can’t because they’re on the phone and I don’t want to interrupt them it just makes the entire process slow and awkward
Original post by barror1
The only time I will make an exception to this is if they have to take a call. Amazingly, I don't mind serving people in silence :laugh:
Original post by ANJXLA

I intentionally didn't serve some bloke who was talking on his phone at the till a few days ago. Just no need for it except in an emergency.
Original post by bones-mccoy
I intentionally didn't serve some bloke who was talking on his phone at the till a few days ago. Just no need for it except in an emergency.

that's stupid, you're simply an intemediary of payment, i reckon customers would much rather automated payment machines. human beings are too much trouble.
Original post by gr8wizard10
that's stupid, you're simply an intemediary of payment, i reckon customers would much rather automated payment machines. human beings are too much trouble.

They should respect those who are serving them then. Too many people treat those working in shops, bars, restaurants etc as beings merely existing to serve their existence. Funny how they probably wouldn't speak to or treat workers that way if they were out on the street but as soon as you put a uniform on or clock in it's free game to treat them as badly as you like.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bones-mccoy
They should respect those who are serving them then. Too many people treat those working in shops, bars, restaurants etc as beings merely existing to serve their existence when that's not the case at all. Funny how they probably wouldn't speak to or treat workers that way if they were out on the street but as soon as you put a uniform on or clock in it's free game to treat them as badly as you like.

would disagree in that you're being treated badly as a result of someone being on their phone - unless they actively do something do disrespect you like call you a name etc.. they are literally being indifferent to your presence given you are literally doing the job of ideally a machine. a customers interaction with you serves no greater purpose other than to perhaps better your sense of worth - which isn't a necessity - so by you actively refusing to do your job you're synonymous to a broken machine.

you're hired to do a job - serve customers, i doubt anywhere in your contract it predicated that customers must initiate conversation or discard their phone for the duration it takes you to scan their items.

you're of-course free to be annoyed at what you want and make your own personal inference, but i personally think you made the wrong call here by refusing to put through his purchase.

not that my opinion matters :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by gr8wizard10
would disagree in that you're being treated badly as a result of someone being on their phone - unless they actively do something do disrespect you like call you a name etc.. they are literally being indifferent to your presence given you are literally doing the job of ideally a machine. a customers interaction with you serves no greater purpose other than to perhaps better your sense of worth - which isn't a necessity - so by you actively refusing to do your job you're synonymous to a broken machine.

you're hired to do a job - serve customers, i doubt anywhere in your contract it predicated that customers must initiate conversation or discard their phone for the duration it takes you to scan their items.

you're of-course free to be annoyed at what you want and make your own personal inference, but i personally think you made the wrong call here by refusing to put through his purchase.

not that my opinion matters :smile:

You're right, it doesn't matter :smile:
I'll be applying to Sainsburys soon, what jobs do they give to lanky 17 year olds?
Original post by TheNamesBond.
I'll be applying to Sainsburys soon, what jobs do they give to lanky 17 year olds?

Stacking beetroot on the top shelf.
Original post by Notoriety
Stacking beetroot on the top shelf.

What about papaya?
Customers who think they know our products better than I do. I'm like should I just leave and you can finish my shift seeing as you know so much?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending