The Student Room Group

Gutted about being rejected from dream degree + uni

I couldn't find a similar post even though I'm sure there must be loads. I spent 2 years in college at an Access course working towards one particular degree at UCL, but just got rejected a few hours ago. Anyway, I saw the rejection as a huge reflection and judgement on myself as a person but I finally stopped sobbing like a baby and I'm trying to think about my other options, which aren't great. I would take a gap year and try again but I'm already quite mature (i.e. old).

Anyone else in the same boat? Any tips on how to dust yourself off and carry on? Any happy motivational stories of people missing out on their dream degree and uni yet going on to someplace else and being really happy?

Hope you all have a great day <3
Not quite the same story, but I hope it brings you even the slightest bit of reassurance. I had a dream course at a particular uni in mind and got an offer (it was a portfolio course so I put weeks into perfecting my portfolio), but on results day I missed my grade and lost my place. I was heartbroken, and when the university in question offered me a different course that I had no idea even existed, I was a little bit sceptical because I was so hung up on the first course. But I took them up on the switched offer, and it turned out that this course I hadn't even known was a thing was a much better match for me than the original one turned out to be, and I can honestly say that I love it, whereas knowing the classes and the people involved, I wouldn't have been loving the original course right now.
It can be really hard to get over missing out on the thing you had your heart set on, but there's so many universities and so many courses out there that once you are finally able to get over the tunnel vision of that one place/degree, you may well realise that something else out there is just as good, if not better, for what you really want.
I hope you can find it :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending