The Student Room Group

Relationships in halls

From experience or personal opinions- do relationships between people who live in the same halls in the same flat have a chance of lasting? To me it seems ridiculous but my now ex thinks its a brilliant idea!
My brother had a relationship with a girl in his flat, which ended quite awkwardly. Because they were in the same flat, they now live together and likely will for the rest of their time at university, so you need to be prepared to deal with the consequences of living with an ex for a few years if the relationship does not work out.
Original post by Anonymous
From experience or personal opinions- do relationships between people who live in the same halls in the same flat have a chance of lasting? To me it seems ridiculous but my now ex thinks its a brilliant idea!
Reply 2
I think it differs between people, it could work out or it could end badly. I also know people that went out and had a drunken kiss with their flat mate and it ended terribly and others were fine. Just depends on you and the other person
Reply 3
I would avoid it. You want your living area to be as stress-free as possible and until you feel comfortable that you love and trust someone its a big step/gamble to have a relationship in close proximity.
I had a drunken kiss and messed around with a flat mate in halls and it was never awkward between us. We both eventually got into relationships (this was 4 years ago) mine ended and him and his girlfriend are still together now. I had another flatmate who ended up with getting together with her best friends flatmate and they’re still togther too. Both relationships I mentioned (excluding mine) started because both people lived in the same halls. So it can work out it just depends on the people
Original post by Anonymous
My brother had a relationship with a girl in his flat, which ended quite awkwardly. Because they were in the same flat, they now live together and likely will for the rest of their time at university, so you need to be prepared to deal with the consequences of living with an ex for a few years if the relationship does not work out.

How come they'll be living together for the rest of uni? Can one of them not live with other people?
Reply 6
Original post by bones-mccoy
How come they'll be living together for the rest of uni? Can one of them not live with other people?

I’m guessing their flat just decided to live together after first year so it wasn’t too much messing around
I think that it would be better if you live with your partner
Original post by Caitx14
I’m guessing their flat just decided to live together after first year so it wasn’t too much messing around

Really? Never heard that before. I know a lot of people stick with those they end up living with in the first year but everyone I know changed housemates at least once. Guess it depends how well you get to know those on your course or through societies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending