The Student Room Group

How to deal with self-involved best friend?

So I’ve only been friends with my best friend for just over 6 months so not very long but we are very close and get on really well. We met at uni and she’s a really great person, she’s funny, we have a a lot of similar interests and she’s very loyal/trusting.

That’s all great but for a while now I’ve noticed that she’s quite self-absorbed/obsessed and most of the conversation we have is around her life and her issues. I love hearing about what’s going on in her life and am always happy to help her with problems she’s has but it’s got to the point where she doesn’t give the same support back. Whenever I have a problem she will say one sentence and then that will be it and she’ll move back onto their issues. Or she will mainly try to bring her problems into mine and use this as a way of ‘helping’ but it really just ends up with me giving her advice/ support on her issues again.

I’m not saying she’s not a caring person, she is and has helped me with a big problem I had a few months ago at the time and I always know she’ll be there if I need it at the time. But she doesn’t check up on me or follow up after it. She doesn’t seem to take a genuine interest in my life in general like she doesn’t ever ask about my studies or my family/other friends, she doesn’t ask about my ambitions/interests either.

I feel like whenever I talk about myself it’s only for a very short time and I have to be quick cause she’ll cut into what I’m saying or she won’t be paying attention properly cause she’ll be looking at her phone. And when ther have been times where I’ve persisted and tried to talk about something more she often just gives comments that make me feel stupid and that are belittling.

So yeah it’s bothering me now because she really is a great person and we have a great time together but I don’t think I can call it true friendship when she doesn’t reciprocate the help and support I give.

When I compare it to my other friend who I’m getting a lot more close with , the friendship is very different as my other friend is very understanding and a great listener- she lets me finishwhat im saying and doesn’t bring everything back to her. I feel like I could tell her anything and she won’t judge me for it- she might think it’s weird but won’t make me feel stupid about and will just laugh about it with. She isn’t as affectionate as my friend but she gives good rational advice but is understanding and makes me feel like I’ve been heard. She also always asks how my day is and how uni work is going etc and I feel much more fulfilled and supported with her.

Sorry this is so long but don’t know what to do- should I mention this to my friend or not because I feel like if I do things won’t end well and might ruin the friendship?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
This might be weird to say but you shouldn't have all your eggs in one basket. People change, things happen - your friendships aren't always going to be constant throughout your life. You're allowed to have more than one best friend, and you might do different things/talk about different things with different friends.

However, If you do feel that a friend is being more of a drain than a radiator in your life that's also not okay. If you think the friendship is worth saving i'd say try and talk it through - it doesn't have to be an argument - they might not realise what they are doing. You could also try giving that friendship a bit of space and seeing if things change/puts things into perspective.

Original post by alicewxnderland
So I’ve only been friends with my best friend for just over 6 months so not very long but we are very close and get on really well. We met at uni and she’s a really great person, she’s funny, we have a a lot of similar interests and she’s very loyal/trusting.

That’s all great but for a while now I’ve noticed that she’s quite self-absorbed/obsessed and most of the conversation we have is around her life and her issues. I love hearing about what’s going on in her life and am always happy to help her with problems she’s has but it’s got to the point where she doesn’t give the same support back. Whenever I have a problem she will say one sentence and then that will be it and she’ll move back onto their issues. Or she will mainly try to bring her problems into mine and use this as a way of ‘helping’ but it really just ends up with me giving her advice/ support on her issues again.

I’m not saying she’s not a caring person, she is and has helped me with a big problem I had a few months ago at the time and I always know she’ll be there if I need it at the time. But she doesn’t check up on me or follow up after it. She doesn’t seem to take a genuine interest in my life in general like she doesn’t ever ask about my studies or my family/other friends, she doesn’t ask about my ambitions/interests either.

I feel like whenever I talk about myself it’s only for a very short time and I have to be quick cause she’ll cut into what I’m saying or she won’t be paying attention properly cause she’ll be looking at her phone. And when ther have been times where I’ve persisted and tried to talk about something more she often just gives comments that make me feel stupid and that are belittling.

So yeah it’s bothering me now because she really is a great person and we have a great time together but I don’t think I can call it true friendship when she doesn’t reciprocate the help and support I give.

When I compare it to my other friend who I’m getting a lot more close with , the friendship is very different as my other friend is very understanding and a great listener- she lets me finishwhat im saying and doesn’t bring everything back to her. I feel like I could tell her anything and she won’t judge me for it- she might think it’s weird but won’t make me feel stupid about and will just laugh about it with. She isn’t as affectionate as my friend but she gives good rational advice but is understanding and makes me feel like I’ve been heard. She also always asks how my day is and how uni work is going etc and I feel much more fulfilled and supported with her.

Sorry this is so long but don’t know what to do- should I mention this to my friend or not because I feel like if I do things won’t end well and might ruin the friendship?
Wow, honestly I haven't related to something so much in a long time. My best mates the exact same, as I know she cares lots about me and we have such a laugh together but recently she's just got so self absorbed and exaggerates every tiny issue in her life to make the littlest problem that I'd just keep to myself (e.g. A boy airing a text message) into a giant issue. As much as I do love her it's just getting draining now as all she does is go on social media and pays more interest in her profile and snap score than she does in me...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending