The Student Room Group

struggle of being an indian girl in sixth form

So I am from India, and my neighborhood in england is filled with indian aunties that just have negative stereotypes of you, basically.

Does anyone else feel like this?

I am still in the process of finding what I love, and when the aunties ask me at parties what i'm going to do after sixth form, i'm like i still don't know yet. instead of supporting me, they compare me to others girls that are currently doing medicine. you see, I know that medicine isn't the thing for me, but how many times do i have to repeat it to them.

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!

If anybody else is stressed out, just message me, I feel you. why are they so judgy, like i try to be open minded, but when i go to Indian parties, I feel so out of place and low key like a failure...

ITS OK FOR GUYS TO TAKE A GAP YEAR, BUT APPARENTLY ITS BETTER FOR ME JUST TO GO TO UNI STRAIGHT AWAY, even though i'm still in the process of understanding myself.
Original post by aleena 1212
So I am from India, and my neighborhood in england is filled with indian aunties that just have negative stereotypes of you, basically.

I am still in the process of finding what I love, and when the aunties ask me at parties what i'm going to do after sixth form, i'm like i still don't know yet. instead of supporting me, they compare me to others girls that are currently doing medicine. you see, I know that medicine isn't the thing for me, but how many times do i have to repeat it to them.

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!

If anybody else is stressed out, just message me, I feel you. why are they so judgy, like i try to be open minded, but when i go to Indian parties, I feel so out of place and low key like a failure...

ITS OK FOR GUYS TO TAKE A GAP YEAR, BUT APPARENTLY ITS BETTER FOR ME JUST TO GO TO UNI STRAIGHT AWAY, even though i'm still in the process of understanding myself.

I think they just want the best for you so they encourage you to pursue a career in the highest paid sector! Don't worry too much about their judgements - it's that kind of generation and even with my English grandparents, they don't want me to do Sociology because it's a 'mickey mouse' subject. You just have to push past it and find your passion by yourself! :yep:
Thank you :smile:
Original post by yzanne
I think they just want the best for you so they encourage you to pursue a career in the highest paid sector! Don't worry too much about their judgements - it's that kind of generation and even with my English grandparents, they don't want me to do Sociology because it's a 'mickey mouse' subject. You just have to push past it and find your passion by yourself! :yep:
I don’t know anything about Indian culture, but you should do what you want to do. They’re going to judge you regardless anyway. How often do you see them? Are your parents OK with the idea of a gap year? It’s your life and you deserve to be happy.

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!

hey luckily i don't have the problem even though also m Indian and girl.......it's mainly because they want to talk s**t bout others....compare.....and make themselves look a lot more knowledgeable then they are....its just stereotype that they want everyone to pick medical.......just remember as long as your parents support you then don't care about them because their comments are temporary when you become successful they will convert and suddenly become your well wishers
Tell them aunties that you are not marrying their son. That will keep em quiet.

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!

i feel u sissssss
except i dont go to parties instead everytime i fly back home everyone's so judgey

they get so confused and ask so many questions if you even think about talking about apprenticeships or gap years or anything else beside a degree then job

nahhh you can't be open minded around them. they talk way too much and judge easily. you just have to ignore what they say and put on a fake smile. they'll be mean regardless
My parents don't care, they just want me to be happy, but my neighborhood is full of Indian people who compare to me with other girls my age and expect me to pursue a career in medicine, and no matter how much I explain to them that its not something that interests me, they just label me as lazy and a coward. it's so hard to get away from them, theres like 50 families where i live that know me and my fam.

I LITERALLY WANT TO MOVE AWAY FROM MY NEIGHBOURHOOD BUT I CAN'T CUZ when it comes to weddings people ask around family friends opinions about you, and if they say bad things about you, then it brings your family status down. (this is looking at the near future tho) It's really hard to explain what life is like when your in an Indian family, but let's just say it's hard, especially growing up in a less conservative country like England.
Original post by YaliaV
I don’t know anything about Indian culture, but you should do what you want to do. They’re going to judge you regardless anyway. How often do you see them? Are your parents OK with the idea of a gap year? It’s your life and you deserve to be happy.
I am pakistani i get you . These neighbours are so frustrating. I swear, always behind us comparing us with others , I guess dont talk much with them.........nothing extra, just speak whats needed, show them you really dont care . And tell em i am not marrying your son why do you care lol
thank you sm :smile:
Original post by blue2019
hey luckily i don't have the problem even though also m Indian and girl.......it's mainly because they want to talk s**t bout others....compare.....and make themselves look a lot more knowledgeable then they are....its just stereotype that they want everyone to pick medical.......just remember as long as your parents support you then don't care about them because their comments are temporary when you become successful they will convert and suddenly become your well wishers
:smile: :smile:
so true, thanks
Original post by Haider.alix
I am pakistani i get you . These neighbours are so frustrating. I swear, always behind us comparing us with others , I guess dont talk much with them.........nothing extra, just speak whats needed, show them you really dont care . And tell em i am not marrying your son why do you care lol
I'm also an Indian girl currently in my last year of school, I get what your talking about cos I had to deal with a lot of that too :s-smilie: Growing up the only career path that was every talked about was medicine, so here I am going to study medicine at Manchester uni (luckily I've grown to like it more and it's what I see myself doing). However my cousins have broken the famous stereotype, they're pursuing engineering and politics. Don't let your family peer pressure you into what you have to do with your life, and taking a gap year is an excellent opportunity to better understand yourself and experience the world before delving back into studies (that's what I'm doing). Don't worry tho, you're not alone x Best of luck in the future :smile:

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!

Thank you, I hope that you will enjoy your future and become the best doctor you can ever be.

Good luck for every thing, and I hope your exams go well
Original post by Iksu_51
I'm also an Indian girl currently in my last year of school, I get what your talking about cos I had to deal with a lot of that too :s-smilie: Growing up the only career path that was every talked about was medicine, so here I am going to study medicine at Manchester uni (luckily I've grown to like it more and it's what I see myself doing). However my cousins have broken the famous stereotype, they're pursuing engineering and politics. Don't let your family peer pressure you into what you have to do with your life, and taking a gap year is an excellent opportunity to better understand yourself and experience the world before delving back into studies (that's what I'm doing). Don't worry tho, you're not alone x Best of luck in the future :smile:
These people need to start looking into their own houses . I swear. aunties have one eye in their houses and one eye in the other houses aghhhh
Yeah i try to be happy, bit going to parties just raises my anxiety level, to the next level.
Original post by PureHeroine
i feel u sissssss
except i dont go to parties instead everytime i fly back home everyone's so judgey

they get so confused and ask so many questions if you even think about talking about apprenticeships or gap years or anything else beside a degree then job

nahhh you can't be open minded around them. they talk way too much and judge easily. you just have to ignore what they say and put on a fake smile. they'll be mean regardless

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending