The Student Room Group

Why it does not matter what religion you are.

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” - Marcus Aurelius

If are a good person no matter what religion (or not) you follow in life, whichever god is the right one will favor you (and let you have a good afterlife if the afterlife is real) ,if that god is a loving and just one.

If not, then you shouldn't want to worship an unjust and unloving god in the first place.

For example, you might live in Antarctica or a tribe without ever being exposed to any kind of religion and be a great,kind-hearted person every day of your life then when you die, go to heaven or be reincarnated well or whatever you believe happens if your good in life if the real god is truly benevolent.

What do you guys think on this? It seems like a lot of people are opposed to not being religious on this website and by this logic if you truly believe the real god is loving, it doesn't matter what religion you are.Sorry if i have repeated myself abit but I hope this helps someone struggling with their beliefs at the moment :smile:

Scroll to see replies

You keep telling yourself this
Reply 2
It matters because if you choose the wrong one, you goin hell

or not.
Reply 3
Original post by Greywolftwo
You keep telling yourself this

Why don't you agree with it? Going to explain or do you not know the why yourself?
Reply 4
Original post by CoONA
It matters because if you choose the wrong one, you goin hell

or not.

Imagine being a christian that never did anything bad in his life then ending up in hell because Judaism/Islam/Whatever is the "right religion"
Reply 5
Original post by MAXMP
Imagine being a christian that never did anything bad in his life then ending up in hell because Judaism/Islam/Whatever is the "right religion"

Yeah that must suck. But that's how it is if religion is true. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by CoONA
Yeah that must suck. But that's how it is if religion is true.

Good point. In a lot of religions you can only be certain when you reach the afterlife/are reincarnated/whatever . Or whatever happens after death if you don't believe in any of that. Or if you believe you just stop existing after death, in that case it wouldn't suck though because you wouldn't be around to know that it sucks :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by MAXMP
Good point. In a lot of religions you can only be certain when you reach the afterlife/are reincarnated/whatever . Or whatever happens after death if you don't believe in any of that. Or if you believe you just stop existing after death, in that case it wouldn't suck though because you wouldn't be around to know that it sucks :biggrin:

Yep. The maximum amount of religions that can be true is one. It would be cool if everyone knew which one.
if you do not put 100% faith in Jesus Christ alone to save you, if you trust in the idea that "I'm a pretty good person", the God of the Bible will condemn you to everlasting torment.

reason being that there is none righteous, no not one, all have have sinned and come short of the glory of God, we are all sinners, and the wages (what you deserve) of sin is death, that death being the lake of Fire. in the eyes of God, we are all guilty deserving of eternal hellfire, because we have all sinned. in order to enter heaven, you must be perfect without flaw, not a "pretty good person", because "pretty good" isn't good enough, you must be perfect.

this is why God sent his Son Jesus Christ (who is God in the flesh), who lived a sinless life, he was perfect, without flaw. he was then crucified, died (for our sins) and was buried, and on the third day, he rose again from the dead, and ascended into heaven and is now seated at the right hand of the Father. what Jesus did (death, burial, reserrection) was enough to pay for the sins of mankind, all we must do is trust in the finished work of Jesus alone (not our own works) and we shall be saved. when the jailers asked Paul "what must i do to be saved?" they said "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved and thy house", he didn't say, be a "good person", he said believe

notice John 3:16 says that whosoever believeth on him should not perish but have everlasting life. how long is everlasting? forever, therefore if you believe and have everlasting life, can you lose it? no, if you believe but end up in hell, that'll make God a liar, because that life he promised is everlasting, you cannot lose your salvation.

just as there's nothing you can do to receive salvation, there's nothing you can do to lose salvation, because it from what Jesus did, not what you did.

that's what I think of this, in Light of the Bible
it doesn't matter what religion you are and pointing out a question "why does it matter what religion you are", won't give you the answers you are looking for because everyone has their own views and beliefs. People who do post their beliefs or viewpoints get contradicted regardless.
Reply 10
Ok, Vivekananda
Reply 11
Original post by Leviathan1611
if you do not put 100% faith in Jesus Christ alone to save you, if you trust in the idea that "I'm a pretty good person", the God of the Bible will condemn you to everlasting torment.

reason being that there is none righteous, no not one, all have have sinned and come short of the glory of God, we are all sinners, and the wages (what you deserve) of sin is death, that death being the lake of Fire. in the eyes of God, we are all guilty deserving of eternal hellfire, because we have all sinned. in order to enter heaven, you must be perfect without flaw, not a "pretty good person", because "pretty good" isn't good enough, you must be perfect.

this is why God sent his Son Jesus Christ (who is God in the flesh), who lived a sinless life, he was perfect, without flaw. he was then crucified, died (for our sins) and was buried, and on the third day, he rose again from the dead, and ascended into heaven and is now seated at the right hand of the Father. what Jesus did (death, burial, reserrection) was enough to pay for the sins of mankind, all we must do is trust in the finished work of Jesus alone (not our own works) and we shall be saved. when the jailers asked Paul "what must i do to be saved?" they said "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved and thy house", he didn't say, be a "good person", he said believe

notice John 3:16 says that whosoever believeth on him should not perish but have everlasting life. how long is everlasting? forever, therefore if you believe and have everlasting life, can you lose it? no, if you believe but end up in hell, that'll make God a liar, because that life he promised is everlasting, you cannot lose your salvation.

just as there's nothing you can do to receive salvation, there's nothing you can do to lose salvation, because it from what Jesus did, not what you did.

that's what I think of this, in Light of the Bible

Like I have said, imagine living in a atheist/agnostic/non-Christian colony in Antarctica , never knowing about Christianity but living a truly good and sinless life. However God sends you to hell because you didn't believe in him despite never knowing about him or ever being exposed to Christianity . Then sent to hell to suffer for eternity through no fault of your own.
The problem with this is how one is defining 'good'. I bet ISIS truly believe they are doing good as I get Hitler did too and almost every other evil person acting on ideology throughout history
I like your philosophy but problem is different religions have different rules of what is good. You might think there's nothing wrong with not praying regularly for example but the Gods of some religions would be offended by that. I think a just God would mostly care about how you treat others though and entrance into any heaven should be mainly based on that rather than belief without adequate evidence imo.
Original post by MAXMP
Like I have said, imagine living in a atheist/agnostic/non-Christian colony in Antarctica , never knowing about Christianity but living a truly good and sinless life. However God sends you to hell because you didn't believe in him despite never knowing about him or ever being exposed to Christianity . Then sent to hell to suffer for eternity through no fault of your own.

theoretically, if they lived a sinless life, they'd go to heaven. but in reality all have sinned, no one has lived a sinless life except Jesus Christ.
they do know about God, he has made himself known and it is clearly seen so we are without excuse.
it is their own fault, they sinned, therefore they are deserving of eternal suffering. the wages of sin is death.
I wish classical theistic religions were actually like this.:rolleyes::frown::redface:
Original post by Leviathan1611
they do know about God, he has made himself known and it is clearly seen so we are without excuse.

Is he on Instagram?
Original post by MAXMP
What do you guys think on this? It seems like a lot of people are opposed to not being religious on this website and by this logic if you truly believe the real god is loving, it doesn't matter what religion you are.Sorry if i have repeated myself abit but I hope this helps someone struggling with their beliefs at the moment :smile:

It's all fairy tales.

Religions want followers to be able to control and, in the case of organised religions, get money from. That is why they say that you have to follow theirs, not just be a good person. Many religions are far from "good", e.g. condoning slavery, murder and rape.
Reply 18
Original post by Justbeingmyself
I like your philosophy but problem is different religions have different rules of what is good. You might think there's nothing wrong with not praying regularly for example but the Gods of some religions would be offended by that. I think a just God would mostly care about how you treat others though and entrance into any heaven should be mainly based on that rather than belief without adequate evidence imo.

Well said
Original post by MAXMP

But neither of those two religions teach that people who never did anything bad in their lives will go to hell.
Even under the most literal and fundamentalist interpretation.

Quick Reply

Latest