The Student Room Group

Resit A Levels or go to University?

Weird statement and I know, so don't call me out for this :tongue:

My Biology BSc offer is BBC, but I ruined my paper 1 so I'm most likely coming out with no higher than a D, but there is still a chance that I will be accepted onto my course.
Is it worth resitting to get a much higher grade next year, or should I just go to university IF I'm accepted? As either way I'm most likely not going to change my firm offer.
Basically I just wanna know if me having a D in Biology A Level after doing a Biology BSc is gonna hinder any opportunities further in life, I suppose. Do A Levels hold any significance if I have a decent degree? (2:1 or higher) I'm confident that I'll do better in uni was I now have the support in place that I lacked in sixth form, but also if I resit I too have more support than I have had previously, and also more time to improve my grades, though I don't see the point if it wont matter.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam1e

My Biology BSc offer is BBC, but I ruined my paper 1 so I'm most likely coming out with no higher than a D, but there is still a chance that I will be accepted onto my course.
Is it worth resitting to get a much higher grade next year, or should I just go to university IF I'm accepted? As either way I'm most likely not going to change my firm offer.
Basically I just wanna know if me having a D in Biology A Level after doing a Biology BSc is gonna hinder any opportunities further in life, I suppose. Do A Levels hold any significance if I have a decent degree? (2:1 or higher) I'm confident that I'll do better in uni was I now have the support in place that I lacked in sixth form, but also if I resit I too have more support than I have had previously, and also more time to improve my grades, though I don't see the point if it wont matter.

In most cases it will be just your degree results. On the basis that better grades would not change your choice of course and uni I would proceed to the degree. You cna always take the A level on the side if needs be, but I doubt it.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
In most cases it will be just your degree results. On the basis that better grades would not change your choice of course and uni I would proceed to the degree. You cna always take the A level on the side if needs be, but I doubt it.

Even for biology my A Levels won’t really matter? That makes me feel better, I kinda still wanna resit but it’s definitely on the terms of that I know I could do better, but if it doesn’t change much I don’t see the point. Thank you :smile:
Original post by jam1e
Even for biology my A Levels won’t really matter? That makes me feel better, I kinda still wanna resit but it’s definitely on the terms of that I know I could do better, but if it doesn’t change much I don’t see the point. Thank you :smile:

Look at the current job adverts for employers you might be applying to after graduation. I am usually all for resitting , but you say it wont change your mind about course or uni, so I would be sceptical it would make much difference. You could always do an msc and that should get you past it.
Reply 4
I have no idea how to find any, if I'm honest. The ones I find require doctorates, I'll never even be able to afford past a masters hahah
Original post by 999tigger
Look at the current job adverts for employers you might be applying to after graduation. I am usually all for resitting , but you say it wont change your mind about course or uni, so I would be sceptical it would make much difference. You could always do an msc and that should get you past it.
Original post by jam1e
I have no idea how to find any, if I'm honest. The ones I find require doctorates, I'll never even be able to afford past a masters hahah

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/medical-sciences
Reply 6
I'm in the same position. My maths teacher has told us multiple times that getting good A Level results is very important, particularly if it's a difficult one like Maths (or Biology in your case). He said that even though he had a degree, the first thing that employers noticed was that he had an A in A Level Maths. So I guess from his perspective we should probably retake and get better A Level results. Also it may be an opportunity to apply for better universities.
Reply 7
If you have been offered a place and your A level grades will not stop you from being accepted then I don't see why you can't go to university. What if you don't get the same offers as this one if you do decide to resit?
Take this as a second chance and hope to do better at uni by getting a 1:1 or 2:1 I guess. You can resit your A level when you're at uni I believe if it bothers you. You'll have to contact the centres and a few might be able to take you in although there's a fee to pay. Contacting your current sixth form to retake might be cheaper.

Depends which career you're planning on pursing tbh. If it's science then they look at A levels when narrowing down the strongest candidates I've heard. However there have been people who have been successful despite having bad A level grades. Which was getting 1:1/2:1 going on to do a Masters and getting loads of experience within the related field. Pursuing postgraduate at a good university can also help imo. But I think getting as much relevant experience can really outweigh that bad A level, as it shows you've done something.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by aa-k
I'm in the same position. My maths teacher has told us multiple times that getting good A Level results is very important, particularly if it's a difficult one like Maths (or Biology in your case). He said that even though he had a degree, the first thing that employers noticed was that he had an A in A Level Maths. So I guess from his perspective we should probably retake and get better A Level results. Also it may be an opportunity to apply for better universities.

I’m not gonna apply to a better uni either way, but the first part bothers me
Reply 9
Original post by jiajane
If you have been offered a place and your A level grades will not stop you from being accepted then I don't see why you can't go to university. What if you don't get the same offers as this one if you do decide to resit?
Take this as a second chance and hope to do better at uni by getting a 1:1 or 2:1 I guess. You can resit your A level when you're at uni I believe if it bothers you. You'll have to contact the centres and a few might be able to take you in although there's a fee to pay. Contacting your current sixth form to retake might be cheaper.

Depends which career you're planning on pursing tbh. If it's science then they look at A levels when narrowing down the strongest candidates I've heard. However there have been people who have been successful despite having bad A level grades. Which was getting 1:1/2:1 going on to do a Masters and getting loads of experience within the related field. Pursuing postgraduate at a good university can also help imo. But I think getting as much relevant experience can really outweigh that bad A level, as it shows you've done something.

I am doing science, which is why i’m worried that I’ll regret not resitting in a couple of years
If you really think it's gonna get in the way then you can resit. But you can also do this while at university if you don't want to miss the uni experience now or something. Where have you been offered?
Original post by jam1e
I am doing science, which is why i’m worried that I’ll regret not resitting in a couple of years
Reply 11
Original post by jiajane
If you really think it's gonna get in the way then you can resit. But you can also do this while at university if you don't want to miss the uni experience now or something. Where have you been offered?

LJMU, I cant move away for personal reasons which is why no matter what that’s where I’m gonna be, but i’m kinda starting to think against going to uni even though i’d really like to
Reply 12
I would say regardless you should resit your A-levels? Think of it from an employers point of view, 2:1 in a Biology degree but D in the A-level? I just think it’s generally better (in case of competition too) to have the best grade possible, these grades are gonna stay with you for the rest of your life. Also, if your life is much improved now; you have the support that you need, then what’s 1 year out in comparison to the rest of your life? During the gap year, there are excellent opportunities for volunteering etc, it can really change your life! :smile: But of course this is just my opinion, I wish you luck with whatever decision you choose!
Ahh fair enough it's your choice at the end of the day. What type of offer was it?
Original post by jam1e
LJMU, I cant move away for personal reasons which is why no matter what that’s where I’m gonna be, but i’m kinda starting to think against going to uni even though i’d really like to
Reply 14
Original post by jiajane
Ahh fair enough it's your choice at the end of the day. What type of offer was it?

Conditional, so I might not even get in. Especially if I ruin these next two papers as bad as I did the first one
Bit of a sticky one yikes. Thought you had an unconditional lol. Don't lose hope tho, you've still got the other 2 you can make up for. Sounds cliche but you've got a chance so don't be too hung up on what you did wrong in paper 1. Good luck!
Original post by jam1e
Conditional, so I might not even get in. Especially if I ruin these next two papers as bad as I did the first one
I would recommend resitting and taking international A-levels if you can; they still use the old modular system and you don’t need to do practicals
Original post by jam1e

Reply 17
Stupidly enough I’ve passed practical already (unless it doesn’t stay with me if I retake, I’m unsure) I have no idea how most things work, I’ll have a look into it but I might not even bother going to uni at this point, it doesn’t look like it’ll give me more benefits than it will downfalls hahah. Thanks for the help :smile:
If you want to be half way competitive in most graduate jobs you need good a-levels aswell as a good degree result; so you might aswell resit them now
Original post by jam1e
Stupidly enough I’ve passed practical already (unless it doesn’t stay with me if I retake, I’m unsure) I have no idea how most things work, I’ll have a look into it but I might not even bother going to uni at this point, it doesn’t look like it’ll give me more benefits than it will downfalls hahah. Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 19
If i’m not going to uni I won’t have anything to be competitive in, so if I am going to uni I will look into resitting, though it looks as though I may not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending