Complaining to the vice chancellor about my undergraduate degree years on Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
• Bad teaching – too much content, too many lecturers inconsistent teaching style, lecturers making serious errors and blunders. Manipulative and helpful…
• A lecturer encouraged me to use drugs that messed up my health for years
• Racial segregation amongst the student and a serious bullying culture with both its graduates and academic.
• Students being offered a place on the degree without applying; misleading information being given to applicants.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What are you hoping to get out of it? What do you think the VC could do now?
note that not piping up about any problems at the time they occurred will be taken as evidence that you weren't unhappy with what the uni was doing.
(Original post by Anonymous)
• Bad teaching – too much content, too many lecturers inconsistent teaching style, lecturers making serious errors and blunders. Manipulative and helpful…
• Racial segregation amongst the student and a serious bullying culture with both its graduates and academic.
• Students being offered a place on the degree without applying; misleading information being given to applicants.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Joinedup)
What are you hoping to get out of it? What do you think the VC could do now?
note that not piping up about any problems at the time they occurred will be taken as evidence that you weren't unhappy with what the uni was doing.
I dont know... I just want to be heard and taken seriously.... I feel nothing but contempt and disgust when I think of my degree..
threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Weigh it up

Are you a serious investigative journalist who has collated a lot of compelling evidence, who has interviewed witnesses, got corroborating evidence etc, or

Are you a chippy failure who is unable to admit they haven't dealt with health/academic issues correctly and is now going to make it their life's work to try and put the blame for your failure on everyone else?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Weigh it up

Are you a serious investigative journalist who has collated a lot of compelling evidence, who has interviewed witnesses, got corroborating evidence etc, or

Are you a chippy failure who is unable to admit they haven't dealt with health/academic issues correctly and is now going to make it their life's work to try and put the blame for your failure on everyone else?
I know you are trying to be pragmatic, but I really don't think its as binary as that. The course is a systematic failure to adhere and I just feel totally ripped off.

I am not a failure.... I have recovered, and it didn't set me back... But I should not have been ripped off like that.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
I dont know... I just want to be heard and taken seriously.... I feel nothing but contempt and disgust when I think of my degree..
Then make a complaint and provide actual evidence otherwise it will just like some grudge or sour grapes. How many years since you graduated?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Then make a complaint and provide actual evidence otherwise it will just like some grudge or sour grapes. How many years since you graduated?
Almost a decade -- I know this sounds insane...
rimstone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
eh welcome to uni mate ..... It aint perfect, seems like your nit picking/ have no point and wasting not only your time but also soon your uni's.

'' • A lecturer encouraged me to use drugs that messed up my health for years''
No one forces you to do drugs, unless he forced you to inhale/sniff/inject it, you took the drug and were unable to get of it.

'' • Bad teaching – too much content, too many lecturers inconsistent teaching style, lecturers making serious errors and blunders. Manipulative and helpful…''
I have had 1 modules out of 12 at uni, were i felt the teaching was above average/great. I also accept that my degree and most courses need a ton of self study and most recommend doing more than 50%, mines 80%, at home.

'' • Racial segregation amongst the student and a serious bullying culture with both its graduates and academic. ''
this is the unis fault how ?

'' • Students being offered a place on the degree without applying; misleading information being given to applicants. ''
Who cares ? misleading how ?
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
Yep it does. Make a complaint might make you feel better, but I expect you cant back most of it up.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by rimstone)
eh welcome to uni mate ..... It aint perfect, seems like your nit picking/ have no point and wasting not only your time but also soon your uni's.

'' • A lecturer encouraged me to use drugs that messed up my health for years''
No one forces you to do drugs, unless he forced you to inhale/sniff/inject it, you took the drug and were unable to get of it.

'' • Bad teaching – too much content, too many lecturers inconsistent teaching style, lecturers making serious errors and blunders. Manipulative and helpful…''
I have had 1 modules out of 12 at uni, were i felt the teaching was above average/great. I also accept that my degree and most courses need a ton of self study and most recommend doing more than 50%, mines 80%, at home.

'' • Racial segregation amongst the student and a serious bullying culture with both its graduates and academic. ''
this is the unis fault how ?

'' • Students being offered a place on the degree without applying; misleading information being given to applicants. ''
Who cares ? misleading how ?
Without wanting to sound too harsh, but there was a lot more to this complaint than meets the eye -- you have the bare bones here..
rimstone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Without wanting to sound too harsh, but there was a lot more to this complaint than meets the eye -- you have the bare bones here..
mate, its been a decade, you gotta move on; you should have something new to be pissed about in 10 years of living. I doubt the UNI is anything like what it was in your time anyways ( new people, new uni rank, new lecturers, new modules, new exams ect ect ect ) and this would honestly be a waste of time, unless some serious abuse occurred, your better of moving on .
Anonymous #1
(Original post by rimstone)
mate, its been a decade, you gotta move on; you should have something new to be pissed about in 10 years of living. I doubt the UNI is anything like what it was in your time anyways ( new people, new uni rank, new lecturers, new modules, new exams ect ect ect ) and this would honestly be a waste of time, unless some serious abuse occurred, your better of moving on .
I think the major problem is that I am paying student loans for that mess.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think the major problem is that I am paying student loans for that mess.
And the ten years it's taken you to get to this point undermines your case - even if there isn't a technical statute of limitations, there is a practical one. You'll just put a lot of time and effort into achieving nothing. Look forwards, not backwards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (146)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.94%
No I am happy with my course choice (488)
58.94%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (120)
14.49%

Watched Threads