The Student Room Group

Complaining to the vice chancellor about my undergraduate degree years on

Bad teaching too much content, too many lecturers inconsistent teaching style, lecturers making serious errors and blunders. Manipulative and helpful…
A lecturer encouraged me to use drugs that messed up my health for years
Racial segregation amongst the student and a serious bullying culture with both its graduates and academic.
Students being offered a place on the degree without applying; misleading information being given to applicants.
What are you hoping to get out of it? What do you think the VC could do now?
note that not piping up about any problems at the time they occurred will be taken as evidence that you weren't unhappy with what the uni was doing.
Original post by Anonymous
Bad teaching too much content, too many lecturers inconsistent teaching style, lecturers making serious errors and blunders. Manipulative and helpful…
Racial segregation amongst the student and a serious bullying culture with both its graduates and academic.
Students being offered a place on the degree without applying; misleading information being given to applicants.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
What are you hoping to get out of it? What do you think the VC could do now?
note that not piping up about any problems at the time they occurred will be taken as evidence that you weren't unhappy with what the uni was doing.

I dont know... I just want to be heard and taken seriously.... I feel nothing but contempt and disgust when I think of my degree..

Weigh it up

Are you a serious investigative journalist who has collated a lot of compelling evidence, who has interviewed witnesses, got corroborating evidence etc, or

Are you a chippy failure who is unable to admit they haven't dealt with health/academic issues correctly and is now going to make it their life's work to try and put the blame for your failure on everyone else?
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Weigh it up

Are you a serious investigative journalist who has collated a lot of compelling evidence, who has interviewed witnesses, got corroborating evidence etc, or

Are you a chippy failure who is unable to admit they haven't dealt with health/academic issues correctly and is now going to make it their life's work to try and put the blame for your failure on everyone else?

I know you are trying to be pragmatic, but I really don't think its as binary as that. The course is a systematic failure to adhere and I just feel totally ripped off.

I am not a failure.... I have recovered, and it didn't set me back... But I should not have been ripped off like that.
I dont know... I just want to be heard and taken seriously.... I feel nothing but contempt and disgust when I think of my degree..

Then make a complaint and provide actual evidence otherwise it will just like some grudge or sour grapes. How many years since you graduated?
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Then make a complaint and provide actual evidence otherwise it will just like some grudge or sour grapes. How many years since you graduated?

Almost a decade -- I know this sounds insane...
Yep it does. Make a complaint might make you feel better, but I expect you cant back most of it up.
Reply 8
Without wanting to sound too harsh, but there was a lot more to this complaint than meets the eye -- you have the bare bones here..
Reply 9
I think the major problem is that I am paying student loans for that mess.
I think the major problem is that I am paying student loans for that mess.

And the ten years it's taken you to get to this point undermines your case - even if there isn't a technical statute of limitations, there is a practical one. You'll just put a lot of time and effort into achieving nothing. Look forwards, not backwards.

Quick Reply

Latest