The Student Room Group

Will I only ever be free after my father dies?

I feel horrible thinking about it but that's how I feel. My father thinks of himself as the patriarchal head of the family, responsible for keeping his wife and daughter 'in control'.
My mother's a somewhat moderate muslim doctor and she has well resisted my father's tyrannical rule to a small extent, since I am his daughter he isn't as horrible to me but I have to fight for little things. We argue at least once a week about whether I'll stay at campus for uni, I can't stand living with him our ideologies are very different, that wouldn't have been a problem if he didn't try to shove them down my throat.
Examples of the time he has tried to impose his way of thinking on me or my mother:
1) My mother wasn't allowed to have a facebook account
2) He picked me from the airport and in the car we started to argue he called me a prostitute for talking to guys, I opened the cars door because I really wanted to jump the hell out
3) Calls me awara (I don't know how to translate it but it means a person of the street with a bad character) because I stayed late at the library to avoid him.
4) Has been mentally abusing my mother for months because she was in contact with her old male friends, called her brother saying, ' your sister has boyfriends.' Said in front of my mothers friends about their old male class mate, "that ******* sends my wife flowers." Yes that person sent my mother a picture of flowers with a kind message after her operation.
5) once I was wearing a short hoodie that exposed a bit of skin when I raised my hand, He started shouting about it, I refused to change and said I would stay home because I stick with my right as an individual to dress in a way that makes me happy, he yanked my hand and dragged me down the stairs to go to tesco.
6) He doesn't hit me as badly as before, but he has given me a bruise, bitten my head like a mad man after I woke him from his sleep. They keep on saying I shouldn't dwell on negative memories. Does anyone else think I should just forget these memories?
7) Hated my school counsellor, shouted at me for talking to her, and said she couldn't understand our culture because she is white. Keeps on saying white people have no concept of family. He is racist.
My mother keeps on saying he has done a lot for me and he has, I agree he does love me but sometimes his love is toxic.
He will hunt me down when he is alive because he loves me. He keeps on saying you can do what you want when you get married, like noooo thank yoou I don't want to be controlled by another man after I have been controlled by you. The reason I want to be away from him during uni is because when he was away from the country my grades got higher, no one was shouting 24/7. No one was forcing to sit and argue shouting at me forcing me to pick a side in my parent's argument.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel horrible thinking about it but that's how I feel. My father thinks of himself as the patriarchal head of the family, responsible for keeping his wife and daughter 'in control'.
My mother's a somewhat moderate muslim doctor and she has well resisted my father's tyrannical rule to a small extent, since I am his daughter he isn't as horrible to me but I have to fight for little things. We argue at least once a week about whether I'll stay at campus for uni, I can't stand living with him our ideologies are very different, that wouldn't have been a problem if he didn't try to shove them down my throat.
Examples of the time he has tried to impose his way of thinking on me or my mother:
1) My mother wasn't allowed to have a facebook account
2) He picked me from the airport and in the car we started to argue he called me a prostitute for talking to guys, I opened the cars door because I really wanted to jump the hell out
3) Calls me awara (I don't know how to translate it but it means a person of the street with a bad character) because I stayed late at the library to avoid him.
4) Has been mentally abusing my mother for months because she was in contact with her old male friends, called her brother saying, ' your sister has boyfriends.' Said in front of my mothers friends about their old male class mate, "that ******* sends my wife flowers." Yes that person sent my mother a picture of flowers with a kind message after her operation.
5) once I was wearing a short hoodie that exposed a bit of skin when I raised my hand, He started shouting about it, I refused to change and said I would stay home because I stick with my right as an individual to dress in a way that makes me happy, he yanked my hand and dragged me down the stairs to go to tesco.
6) He doesn't hit me as badly as before, but he has given me a bruise, bitten my head like a mad man after I woke him from his sleep. They keep on saying I shouldn't dwell on negative memories. Does anyone else think I should just forget these memories?
7) Hated my school counsellor, shouted at me for talking to her, and said she couldn't understand our culture because she is white. Keeps on saying white people have no concept of family. He is racist.
My mother keeps on saying he has done a lot for me and he has, I agree he does love me but sometimes his love is toxic.
He will hunt me down when he is alive because he loves me. He keeps on saying you can do what you want when you get married, like noooo thank yoou I don't want to be controlled by another man after I have been controlled by you. The reason I want to be away from him during uni is because when he was away from the country my grades got higher, no one was shouting 24/7. No one was forcing to sit and argue shouting at me forcing me to pick a side in my parent's argument.

Speak to a women's refuge and the police, you can get yourself away whilst he's alive, you do NOT have to live like this. If you're under 18 then you could ring social services and get support from them.
Sounds like your dad is scared at the idea of your mother and you having any sort of self esteem, which means he has low self esteem himself and that the only way he knows how to keep people around is to beat them down emotionally. I think tyrants like that have to be understood before you can let go of their grip on you. What I mean is that the actual words he says aren't an actual guide of how you should be - he doesn't really care about you talking to guys or whatever, what he cares about is you having low self esteem. From the sounds of it it seem like there is no way to be that will please him and make him praise you and be happy because he's got his own problems, you are not the source of those problems and they will persist no matter what you do.
Not from an asian culture myself but I've noticed that my friends that come from asian cultures (Hong Kong/India) seem to place a lot more importance on what their families think of them. Like their sense of self worth is anchored to what their parents say to them about them - ie. 25 year olds saying they won't do certain things because "my parents won't let me".
Truth is at some point to be happy you will have to be an adult and make your own decisions, regardless of what he thinks or feels, so the goal should be not to find a way to soothe him so he won't shout at you but to build your self esteem so that his words don't have such a grip on you.
To be mentally well means to have high self esteem, and to have high self esteem you need to internalise the idea that you don't exist to please anyone. It is not selfish to go against what your family wants (wear clothes you want to wear, talk to boys,...), if anything it's selfish of them to ask that you act in a way that never causes them a moment's worry instead of doing what makes you happy.
Taking some distance like you have done is good, like you've experienced.

Hope that was helpful and not patronising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending