The Student Room Group

Is there support for students for prescription costs?

I asked the people in the pharmacy but they had no idea and the NHS website seems to be confusing me rn.
But I've been put on antidepressants which is going to become a weekly one, so £9.20, but does that mean I'll have to pay £9.20 every week? Plus I'm likely going to be put on iron pills for anaemia since I've avoided going to the gp so that'll be another payment

I live away from my parent for uni, so I assume them being on income support + tax credits won't mean I can get free prescriptions on that basis?

Are students ineligible for free prescriptions in that case? How does anyone afford that kinda thing? My budget barely covers £10 a week on food shopping, let alone antidepressants that are hardly gonna help much if they're just going to become an extra stressor to worry about, though it didn't really sound like I had the choice to say no to them anyway.

Idk sorry for rambling, this is just really stressing and worrying me already so any input would be really appreciated :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I asked the people in the pharmacy but they had no idea and the NHS website seems to be confusing me rn.
But I've been put on antidepressants which is going to become a weekly one, so £9.20, but does that mean I'll have to pay £9.20 every week? Plus I'm likely going to be put on iron pills for anaemia since I've avoided going to the gp so that'll be another payment

I live away from my parent for uni, so I assume them being on income support + tax credits won't mean I can get free prescriptions on that basis?

Are students ineligible for free prescriptions in that case? How does anyone afford that kinda thing? My budget barely covers £10 a week on food shopping, let alone antidepressants that are hardly gonna help much if they're just going to become an extra stressor to worry about, though it didn't really sound like I had the choice to say no to them anyway.

Idk sorry for rambling, this is just really stressing and worrying me already so any input would be really appreciated :frown:

Most iron pills aren't prescription only, if you knew the correct strength you can buy them. I used to work in a pharmacy and I m sorry they didn't give you better advice, you need to fill in a HC1 form then they assess your income and might allow you free prescriptions.
https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Documents/2016/HC1-April-2016.pdf
Any other prescriptions in the mean time ask for an fp57, if its a weekly prescription then even just buying a pre payment card for £29.40 (you can get everything you could need on prescription covered on that) whilst you wait to see what they say with a hc1 would make sense.
from my understanding, if your doctor gave you a 3month prescription, so enough for 3 months, thats 1 prescription. for that you pay £9 (so basically £9 per medication, so if you say had antibiotics, that would be another £9).

if you need to go and get your prescription weekly, that would be £9 each time.

you can get a 3 month Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC) costs £29.10 which saves you money if you need more than 3 items in 3 months, id suggest asking a pharmacist where to get this (i think its online).
you can also get A 12 month certificate is £104.00 and saves money if you need more than 12 items in 12 months.

there is also a HC2 Certificate for those on a low income, but i have no idea about how to apply for these sorry
Reply 3
Original post by sophielouiseok
from my understanding, if your doctor gave you a 3month prescription, so enough for 3 months, thats 1 prescription. for that you pay £9 (so basically £9 per medication, so if you say had antibiotics, that would be another £9).

if you need to go and get your prescription weekly, that would be £9 each time.

you can get a 3 month Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC) costs £29.10 which saves you money if you need more than 3 items in 3 months, id suggest asking a pharmacist where to get this (i think its online).
you can also get A 12 month certificate is £104.00 and saves money if you need more than 12 items in 12 months.

there is also a HC2 Certificate for those on a low income, but i have no idea about how to apply for these sorry

I'm not sure what they're doing. I'm still in the process of switching gp's so the doctor gave me a week prescription for until I can see my gp and from there I think I'll find out whether it's a weekly or 3 month prescription. But I'm doubting they'll allow me a x-month prescription because of certain circumstances. But thank you for explaining the PPC, that was confusing me too til now :smile:

Original post by claireestelle
Most iron pills aren't prescription only, if you knew the correct strength you can buy them. I used to work in a pharmacy and I m sorry they didn't give you better advice, you need to fill in a HC1 form then they assess your income and might allow you free prescriptions.
https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Documents/2016/HC1-April-2016.pdf
Any other prescriptions in the mean time ask for an fp57, if its a weekly prescription then even just buying a pre payment card for £29.40 (you can get everything you could need on prescription covered on that) whilst you wait to see what they say with a hc1 would make sense.

Idk I was in the hospital for an iron pill related incident (hence the ssris) so they told me to go to the gp for the anaemia rather than trying to treat myself, I guess in case that means they can monitor me better or whatever idk lol. But okay, thank you so much, I'll fill out that form and fingers crossed!! :smile:
I know you have the answers youre after but just to give some further reassurance, I was in the exact same position as you and my mental health meds were getting a lot! A HC1 form will do the trick. Print one off from online, im 99% sure you'll be approved.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I know you have the answers youre after but just to give some further reassurance, I was in the exact same position as you and my mental health meds were getting a lot! A HC1 form will do the trick. Print one off from online, im 99% sure you'll be approved.

Thank you so much for the reassurance!! I hope things are better for you these days too!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest