The Student Room Group

How my relationship improved

This is more of a narrative account than an enquiry.
Over the last 5 months I have sorted out my own personal problems with in a relationship. Some issues when in a relationship, I believe, are some things you have to sort out on your own before getting your partner involved. An example of this was my obsessive behaviour and jealousy. I didn’t let on I was jealous when he would do certain things because I knew deep down it was not fair on him to push this issue on him. He wasn’t in the wrong, it was just me reacting badly to certain things. In this relationship, jealousy declined as I grew closer to him and opened up about other issues, such as insecurities and whether certain feelings were reciprocated. I was given reassurance of where he was in the relationship and I don’t doubt it one bit. As I got closer it was as if he was opening himself up more to me and inviting me in. As if he was saying “I want you to be part of my life, look this is everything, nothing to hide” and since I knew his feelings I as well, I felt more secure about the relationship and had no reason to feel jealous. He treats me like I’m the only one he’s ever cared for and so I can put behind the past and I am no longer affected by what was the source of my jealousy. This is a huge deal for me, being the insecure, anxious and selfish person I was to be able to feel this secure and that our relationship is now healthier and we are happier.
Original post by Anonymous
This is more of a narrative account than an enquiry.
Over the last 5 months I have sorted out my own personal problems with in a relationship. Some issues when in a relationship, I believe, are some things you have to sort out on your own before getting your partner involved. An example of this was my obsessive behaviour and jealousy. I didn’t let on I was jealous when he would do certain things because I knew deep down it was not fair on him to push this issue on him. He wasn’t in the wrong, it was just me reacting badly to certain things. In this relationship, jealousy declined as I grew closer to him and opened up about other issues, such as insecurities and whether certain feelings were reciprocated. I was given reassurance of where he was in the relationship and I don’t doubt it one bit. As I got closer it was as if he was opening himself up more to me and inviting me in. As if he was saying “I want you to be part of my life, look this is everything, nothing to hide” and since I knew his feelings I as well, I felt more secure about the relationship and had no reason to feel jealous. He treats me like I’m the only one he’s ever cared for and so I can put behind the past and I am no longer affected by what was the source of my jealousy. This is a huge deal for me, being the insecure, anxious and selfish person I was to be able to feel this secure and that our relationship is now healthier and we are happier.

That's really good to hear :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending