The Student Room Group

How do you STOP eating?

How can I stop my cravings and just stop eating when I’m not hungry? I know some people that would literally stop themselves from eating unhealthy food and I really envy that so how can I do that?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
How can I stop my cravings and just stop eating when I’m not hungry? I know some people that would literally stop themselves from eating unhealthy food and I really envy that so how can I do that?

Eat a healthy substitute instead. Don't buy junk food so you don't have any in the house to eat.
you just have to find the willpower from somewhere. nothing can change until YOU decide that it is going to change
Reply 3
you just have to find the willpower from somewhere. nothing can change until YOU decide that it is going to change

True-I guess I’ll have to start small
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
Eat a healthy substitute instead. Don't buy junk food so you don't have any in the house to eat.

I don’t live alone :frown: so junk food is always at home. Sometimes I can but other times I cannot
I don’t live alone :frown: so junk food is always at home. Sometimes I can but other times I cannot

You need to have self control. You need to change yourself, you can't expect everything else to change for you. Put the effort and willpower in to having self control.
Reply 6
Give yourself something to do, keep occupied. Some people eat when they're bored, could be you. Otherwise, you could strap a muzzle around your mouth, as long as you have the willpower to keep it on, no food shall enter your gullet.
Find foods with less calories. If you’re snacky, have some cucumber or something, even salted popcorn has less calories than a lot of other snacks.
Reply 8
I struggle frequently with this. Whenever I allow myself to eat as I please I end up eating to the physical zenith of my capacity. As for choosing healthier alternatives or just eating until “I’m not hungry”, I find both impossible. The only time that I was able to truly regulate my consumption is when I adopt a quasi-ascetic way of life. For some time I ate only canned mackerel and bread. Once I simply tried to fast, this didn’t end well. Recently I simply eat quinoa with eggs. I’m not malnourished and I get enough quantity but somehow the self-perception of myself as a sort of nutritional ascetic has provided intellectual and philosophical grounds for me to consume less - for me, the transcendence of corporeal limitations governing man. So, in short, find some reason beyond blatant concerns for health/weight gain.
Sew your mouth shut. Sorted.
Reply 10
Original post by BogdanK
I struggle frequently with this. Whenever I allow myself to eat as I please I end up eating to the physical zenith of my capacity. As for choosing healthier alternatives or just eating until “I’m not hungry”, I find both impossible. The only time that I was able to truly regulate my consumption is when I adopt a quasi-ascetic way of life. For some time I ate only canned mackerel and bread. Once I simply tried to fast, this didn’t end well. Recently I simply eat quinoa with eggs. I’m not malnourished and I get enough quantity but somehow the self-perception of myself as a sort of nutritional ascetic has provided intellectual and philosophical grounds for me to consume less - for me, the transcendence of corporeal limitations governing man. So, in short, find some reason beyond blatant concerns for health/weight gain.

If you have an insatiable urge, then it could be either because your carnal desires are out of control, or you've got some issue which you need to speak to your GP about. There is a hormone called 'leptin' that regulates your hunger, and if you're never feeling satisfied then there could be an issue there
Cravings usually happen because you've killed most of your gut bacteria by filling yourself up with sugary, salty, junk food.

Obligatory infographic below. It takes at least a couple of days of very strict healthy eating for your gut bacteria to recover and stop craving, but it's reasonably quick to do compared to most diet/fitness related things:

Stuff like spinach and tomatoes are good. Try some healthy salads with good olive oil (best kind of oil you can get). Try some unsalted nuts, or oily fish, berries, seeds, leafy green veg, eggs, and other things like that.

Get rid of most of the "brown carbs" and cut out all refined sugar (sugar from fruit is OK). Refined sugar might as well be poison for the effect it has on your body. Alcohol is even worse. Bread/pasta and other refined wheat/grain-based things are generally unhelpful if you eat a lot of that. Wholegrains are better. Potatoes are OK in moderation too.

Remember that the more refined carbs you eat, the more it's going to mess with your blood glucose levels, and by implication it will also cause insulin resistance (which is bad. excessive insulin resistance = T2 diabetes, which eventually leads to fatty liver disease)

Also:
Are you drinking enough water?
Do you drink too much caffeine?
Do you do enough exercise? Getting your heartrate up for at least 30 mins a day makes a big difference to the way you feel.
Do you spend enough time outdoors?
Are you getting enough restful REM sleep? (don't stare at a screen in the hour before you go to bed, let your brain "switch off")
Do you get alot of stress or other 'triggers'?

Are you deficient in any essential fats/proteins or vitamins/minerals? e.g. omega oils, vitamin D, magnesium, potassium. a daily supplement may be useful if you are severely deficient in things.

Do you suffer any severe general symptoms of poor health that could be attributed to T2 diabetes or deficiencies? e.g. dry mouth, dry throat, dry/flaky skin/nails, excessive tiredness/lethargy, easy bruising, fuzzy eyesight/hearing?

Do you get any kind of intolerant reaction to certain foods? e.g. chest burning after eating things which might be allergens such as drinking milk?

Bottom line -- the physical affects the psychological, and vice-versa; everything is connected. The food you eat and the amount of exercise you do will affect your mental health and your ability to maintain focus, keep self-control/discipline and your stress/anxiety levels.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12

Maybe eat something healthier or do something fun to take your mind off it. I personally tend to eat junk food when i'm bored. Although don't be too restrictive, it is okay eat some junk food I guess.
Reply 13
Wow. I haven't seen this before. It's very interesting. ----> winteriscoming
(edited 4 years ago)
Get all the cakes and put them in a metal container. Attach a Taser.

If you want the Madeira, you have to go through 10,000 volts.
Original post by DrawTheLine
You need to have self control. You need to change yourself, you can't expect everything else to change for you. Put the effort and willpower in to having self control.

I have a little bit of self control. I fast till 7pm almost everyday so I think I have self control but when it after 7 I literally eat till I’m full (not too full I’m sick tho) but then once my stomach is called (after 2hrs) I just snack and it ends up being at a late time (11pm)
Original post by Notoriety
Get all the cakes and put them in a metal container. Attach a Taser.

If you want the Madeira, you have to go through 10,000 volts.

Wow😂😂that’ll be cool
Original post by Emmly
Maybe eat something healthier or do something fun to take your mind off it. I personally tend to eat junk food when i'm bored. Although don't be too restrictive, it is okay eat some junk food I guess.

I’m always watching a movie or something but then I stop and get something to eat lool. I heavily restrict but that’s only when I’m on a diet
Original post by winterscoming
Cravings usually happen because you've killed most of your gut bacteria by filling yourself up with sugary, salty, junk food.

Obligatory infographic below. It takes at least a couple of days of very strict healthy eating for your gut bacteria to recover and stop craving, but it's reasonably quick to do compared to most diet/fitness related things:

Stuff like spinach and tomatoes are good. Try some healthy salads with good olive oil (best kind of oil you can get). Try some unsalted nuts, or oily fish, berries, seeds, leafy green veg, eggs, and other things like that.

Get rid of most of the "brown carbs" and cut out all refined sugar (sugar from fruit is OK). Refined sugar might as well be poison for the effect it has on your body. Alcohol is even worse. Bread/pasta and other refined wheat/grain-based things are generally unhelpful if you eat a lot of that. Wholegrains are better. Potatoes are OK in moderation too.

Remember that the more refined carbs you eat, the more it's going to mess with your blood glucose levels, and by implication it will also cause insulin resistance (which is bad. excessive insulin resistance = T2 diabetes, which eventually leads to fatty liver disease)

Also:
Are you drinking enough water?
Do you drink too much caffeine?
Do you do enough exercise? Getting your heartrate up for at least 30 mins a day makes a big difference to the way you feel.
Do you spend enough time outdoors?
Are you getting enough restful REM sleep? (don't stare at a screen in the hour before you go to bed, let your brain "switch off")
Do you get alot of stress or other 'triggers'?

Are you deficient in any essential fats/proteins or vitamins/minerals? e.g. omega oils, vitamin D, magnesium, potassium. a daily supplement may be useful if you are severely deficient in things.

Do you suffer any severe general symptoms of poor health that could be attributed to T2 diabetes or deficiencies? e.g. dry mouth, dry throat, dry/flaky skin/nails, excessive tiredness/lethargy, easy bruising, fuzzy eyesight/hearing?

Do you get any kind of intolerant reaction to certain foods? e.g. chest burning after eating things which might be allergens such as drinking milk?

Bottom line -- the physical affects the psychological, and vice-versa; everything is connected. The food you eat and the amount of exercise you do will affect your mental health and your ability to maintain focus, keep self-control/discipline and your stress/anxiety levels.

Omg no way. I never knew that!! Thanks
I’m scared of nuts. They make you fat I think because they’re full of oils.

Hmm, I don’t think I drink much water
I don’t drink caffeine
I don’t exercise everyday tho
No. Definitely not
Nop lool. I’m always on my phone
Other triggers?

I lack iron but I do take multi vitamins sometimes
No

That’s so interesting. Thank you so much for this information!!
Original post by JoshDarnIt
Sew your mouth shut. Sorted.

Will you do it for me? I’m scared

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending