The Student Room Group

Missed firm but grades higher than insurance

i got AAA and missed my cambridge offer (A*AA) (getting it remarked tho since i was 1 mark off an A*) however got higher than what was needed for my insurance course at Sheffield.
Sheffield is still a good university however knowing that with my grades I could have gotten into universities such as LSE/Durham/St Andrews makes me feel like I should try to get into courses in more prestigious universities.
Since none of these are in clearing, my only option is to wait and apply for next year, however I dont know what I would do for a year except work to save money for university.

Is it worth waiting a year to try to get into a better university, or should I just keep things how they are?
Original post by navlera
i got AAA and missed my cambridge offer (A*AA) (getting it remarked tho since i was 1 mark off an A*) however got higher than what was needed for my insurance course at Sheffield.
Sheffield is still a good university however knowing that with my grades I could have gotten into universities such as LSE/Durham/St Andrews makes me feel like I should try to get into courses in more prestigious universities.
Since none of these are in clearing, my only option is to wait and apply for next year, however I dont know what I would do for a year except work to save money for university.

Is it worth waiting a year to try to get into a better university, or should I just keep things how they are?

I'm in a really similar situation - I got 4A so I also missed my A*AA Cambridge offer.

if my remark doesn't pull through then I'm going to take a year out and reapply. I know it's a bit dramatic but I just don't want to commit 3 years to a uni I don't want to go to.

what subject and board are you getting remarked?
Reply 2
Original post by scrippsy
I'm in a really similar situation - I got 4A so I also missed my A*AA Cambridge offer.

if my remark doesn't pull through then I'm going to take a year out and reapply. I know it's a bit dramatic but I just don't want to commit 3 years to a uni I don't want to go to.

what subject and board are you getting remarked?

AQA History - good luck with your remark! Its so frustrating ik. what universities are you going to apply to if you end up taking a year out?
Reply 3
Can you look through adjustment for the insurance choice?
Reply 4
Original post by Bec260205
Can you look through adjustment for the insurance choice?

I cant do adjustment since I can only enter it if I exceeded my firm, and I've looked through clearing but none of the universities I was thinking about were in there, so at this point I think my only option would be to apply for next year
Reply 5
Original post by navlera
I cant do adjustment since I can only enter it if I exceeded my firm, and I've looked through clearing but none of the universities I was thinking about were in there, so at this point I think my only option would be to apply for next year

what if you go to sheffield this year and then transfer to cambridge if they allow it for next year?
I had a similar experience, applied for Sheffield, which is a good uni btw, Russell Group etc, but I get what you mean, Durham and Warwick for example are one above, needed ABB, got BBB, rejected from Sheffield and put on the same course at Hallam, who were asking for DDD in clearing 🤢 . Luckily found the same course at the Uni of York, pretty much the same type of uni as Sheffield, asking for BBB in clearing which had come down from AAB! I’m now in and very happy about it!

It’s completely fine for you to take a year out, don’t let anyone tell you it isn’t, but fill it with positive experiences, get a job, volunteer etc and fill it with positive things you can put on your CV ready for employment. Sorry to hear about the way things have happened this time round and best of luck for the future :smile:
Original post by navlera
AQA History - good luck with your remark! Its so frustrating ik. what universities are you going to apply to if you end up taking a year out?

Not sure but probably Oxford as opposed to Cambridge so I wouldn't have to retake since I could just apply with my 4A. Would you go for Cambridge again?

Keep us updated with your remark! The wait is driving me crazy..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending