The Student Room Group

Am I being scammed?

I am currently learning to drive and I am doing fine. I'm fine with all my manoeuvres except the forward bay park which after asking those who drive and looking online he is teaching me wrong. I have spent three hours of my lessons doing this manoeuvre. I'm concerned he is just trying to get money out of me. I went with my dad who showed me the 'normal' way and I did it first time.
I will try to explain his method.
I have the car positioned with enough space to swing the car around which isn't the problem it's the space. Instead of making me turn into the next space along he makes me turn into the space directly next to me with a fast full lock. So the space I am turning into I am already level with it. I hope that makes sense.
Original post by Laurenxx22
I am currently learning to drive and I am doing fine. I'm fine with all my manoeuvres except the forward bay park which after asking those who drive and looking online he is teaching me wrong. I have spent three hours of my lessons doing this manoeuvre. I'm concerned he is just trying to get money out of me. I went with my dad who showed me the 'normal' way and I did it first time.
I will try to explain his method.
I have the car positioned with enough space to swing the car around which isn't the problem it's the space. Instead of making me turn into the next space along he makes me turn into the space directly next to me with a fast full lock. So the space I am turning into I am already level with it. I hope that makes sense.

If you are not happy with your current driving instructor and his teaching, feel free to look for another instructor that you would be happier with. You are paying for these lessons so you want to make sure you are getting what you want. Ask friends and family for recommendations or look for reviews online (e.g. Facebook).
Different instructors use different methods. It's not a scam. Different people will prefer different ways. I can't get on with the markers like turning when your shoulder is half way across the space or whatever... I prefer to just turn in slowly and adjust as I go. Just do what works for you.
My instructor told me a few months ago that most people mess up forward bay parking because they turn too early instead of moving forward to the next parking space instead so that's probably what's happening. If the way your dad showed you works for you, stick with that. It seems prudent to get a new instructor just because of one manoeuvre - if he tries to teach you again show him you can do it the other way. He can't really argue with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending