The Student Room Group

can i drive with a provisional license?

anyone got any knowledge on this ?

Scroll to see replies

When starting driving lessons with an instructor the first thing you need is a provisional driving license. In addition to this I would strongly recommend passing the theory test. On the other hand ,you can`t drive alone with a provisional driving license because it is illegal.
Original post by Vibration
When starting driving lessons with an instructor the first thing you need is a provisional driving license. In addition to this I would strongly recommend passing the theory test. On the other hand ,you can`t drive alone with a provisional driving license because it is illegal.

i heard you can drive with a provisional license with someone over 21 in the car. Is this correct
What do you mean by drive, out of interest? Yes you can IF you have L plates and you are accompained by somebody over the age of 21 and who has had their full driving license for 3 years. You can also drive with an actual driving instructor. You can't however, under any circumstance, drive by yourself with only a provisional license.
Original post by dontevenknow2
i heard you can drive with a provisional license with someone over 21 in the car. Is this correct

That`s correct as darcydavis18 suggested.
Reply 5

Providing that the person has over three years of experience behind them you can drive with that person at your side and you are insured to drive the particular car you are using to learn in.
The more experience the person who teaching you is the better it should be.
And under no circumstances should you drive on your own as not worth it.
Good luck with things like.
Reply 6

No, of course you can't drive with a provisional licence.

You're expected to pass your driving test without ever having driven - only then can you drive.

Original post by Vibration

Original post by darcydavis18
What do you mean by drive, out of interest? Yes you can IF you have L plates and you are accompained by somebody over the age of 21 and who has had their full driving license for 3 years. You can also drive with an actual driving instructor. You can't however, under any circumstance, drive by yourself with only a provisional license.

it's spelt LICENCE. can anyone spell properly anymore?
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom

You're expected to pass your driving test without ever having driven - only then can you drive.

The way some people drive on the roads you wonder if they have a license to drive like.
Some are so aweful the way that they drive and parking into two spaces tells you something about them.
And yes I passed first time but yet still no car
I do it.

Original post by darcydavis18

what lol is this for minors? :laugh:
Reply 10
Original post by weeemma
The way some people drive on the roads you wonder if they have a license to drive like.
Some are so aweful the way that they drive and parking into two spaces tells you something about them.
And yes I passed first time but yet still no car

Mainly comes down to driving instructors teaching students to pass an exam rather than to drive realistically.

It's a big problem in this country that no one seems to want to resolve - it's because of this that we can't derestrict parts of the motorway network like the Autobahn. Poor lane discipline is just one reason why - I can name another twelve.
Original post by IWMTom

Well as 3 people just stated you can if you have someone over the age of 21 with you in the car. Are the L plates necessary ?
Reply 12
Well as 3 people just stated you can if you have someone over the age of 21 with you in the car. Are the L plates necessary ?

It was sarcasm...

Silly questions get silly responses.

Yes, you are legally required to have L plates unless you want 3 points on your licence.
Well sorry I didn't know thats why I asked the question, all I needed was one response if I could drive with someone over 21 with a provisional license.
Reply 14
Well sorry I didn't know thats why I asked the question, all I needed was one response if I could drive with someone over 21 with a provisional license.

Perhaps Googling would have been a better idea...

https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive/practising-with-family-or-friends

Providing the person has been driving for 3 years then that person can sit at your side while teaching you how to drive
Unfortunately it is the law that you anybody teaching anyone else to drive must have a minimum of 3 years driving behind them ok
Original post by weeemma
Unfortunately it is the law that you anybody teaching anyone else to drive must have a minimum of 3 years driving behind them ok

Why is it unfortunate that only experienced drivers can supervise learners?
Original post by A Rolling Stone
it's spelt LICENCE. can anyone spell properly anymore?

If someone at 17/18 passed there test now and in three years time they can teach someone else to drive,
Its unfortunately how this works and remember the government wants the age limit to be raised to 21 at least !!! Reasons is because the amount of young drivers are involved in accidents .

And yes A Rolling Stone is correct in saying its a LICENSE ok you must go and learn and earn the rights to be prevlidge in having a driving license ok.
To drive with only a provisional licence you need

1. Either your own provisional insurance or to be a named driver on a parent's etc policy if you're using their car
2. Someone with you who is over the age of 21/25 and has been driving for at least 3/5 years (some policies vary)
3. L plates

And remember, you can't drive on motorways unless with an ADI in a car with dual control
Reply 19
Original post by weeemma
If someone at 17/18 passed there test now and in three years time they can teach someone else to drive,
Its unfortunately how this works and remember the government wants the age limit to be raised to 21 at least !!! Reasons is because the amount of young drivers are involved in accidents .

And yes A Rolling Stone is correct in saying its a LICENSE ok you must go and learn and earn the rights to be prevlidge in having a driving license ok.

It's a licence. Your post was entirely incoherent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending