The Student Room Group

Anybody embarrassed to be using dating apps, or to be seen on them?

Now, I imagine many people on here are much younger than I. I'm thinking most here are like 18-21, and at their sexual peak/prowess whereby its more socially acceptable to be on tinder, or be out their dating.

But if your my age - 28 - and you want to get back out there on the dating scene - I feel a bit embarrassed and ashamed of signing up to dating apps. This is I guess, because of an innate feeling that I should be more sociable and be able to meet girls my age, in reality.

Now, I've never always been this way. I met all my previous partners in real life, and they were both long term, never been a one night stand guy, but because of this I feel I missed out.

How do you people get past the embarrassment of been or, or recognised on dating sites/apps?

Do any of you upload your real photos?

Any tips?

28 yo Male, working professional, and single.
I wouldn’t worry. A lot of people your age will find it hard to go and meet people for reasons such as working full time making it hard to find the time to meet new people. It’s easy when you’re at stage of life when you’re at uni or sixth form and there’s a lot of people in your age bracket and obviously you will have things in common whether it be a similar society or studying a similar course

Fast forward to your mid twenties and things can feel a bit more difficult when it comes to dating so please don’t panic.
I personally met my current partner via a dating app who is a bit older than me, and it’s not like they lack the social skills it’s simply a case of using an app like that is just a convenient way to meet people, and at the end of the day you will have to meet in person if you want something to work so there’s no shame to be had using an app like tinder ect !
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I wouldn’t worry. A lot of people your age will find it hard to go and meet people for reasons such as working full time making it hard to find the time to meet new people. It’s easy when you’re at stage of life when you’re at uni or sixth form and there’s a lot of people in your age bracket and obviously you will have things in common whether it be a similar society or studying a similar course

Fast forward to your mid twenties and things can feel a bit more difficult when it comes to dating so please don’t panic.
I personally met my current partner via a dating app who is a bit older than me, and it’s not like they lack the social skills it’s simply a case of using an app like that is just a convenient way to meet people, and at the end of the day you will have to meet in person if you want something to work so there’s no shame to be had using an app like tinder ect !

Yes absolutely you're right. I'm not sure how old you are, but you seem to get it.

Once you get into your twenties, and particularly my age, mid to late twenties, you start to feel a bit alone and isolated. Most people my age have kids, are in committed relationships, or have some other baggage which makes meeting potential partners hard.

Also, some women my age just want to be mates for a bit.

I need to get myself to a confident stage in my life, mental health wise, and build my confidence slowly. I'm at a crossroads right now. Recently split with my long term partner, started a new job, and a bit preoccupied with mental health - anxieties.

I know it sounds a bit like shopping for a new pair of shoes, but I've been browsing dating websites, and stuff, just to sort of kick start my mood, and get used to the idea that I'm now single. Although maybe its too soon...

I guess I feel embarrassed to actually be seen by people in reality. Like the odds of been found by people in my area is high, and I don't want them knowing my sexual interests or things. Meanwhile, wanting to attract something that is of the same sexual ilk (so its a hard one - excuse the pun!).

On top of all of this, central to this idea is the fact I've very little self-esteem and confidence. Which makes it hard to attract women, I don't really think I am attractive. Although I go through periods where I have an ego, its mainly because of self-protection if that makes sense.

Sorry im rambling...

Its just hard to not worry about been recognised by people online you know...
Reply 3
I’m not far off your age but I’m not embarrassed to use dating apps because I don’t have any other way of meeting women my age who would be interested in me. There’s no shame in using dating apps and not all of us are lucky enough to meet an ideal partner in real life. I used to meet women of a similar age but I took a lot of rejection from them. Nowadays I only meet women much younger than me who aren’t interested in men my age, so I have the same problem with rejection.

You will have variable levels of success with dating apps though. In the UAE I get no matches whatsoever whereas I get more in the UK but most never reply. The best I’ve gotten so far is a few women who I have become regular FWB’s with, but they’re not the type I’m usually attracted to and it took me a long time to get this far. Be prepared for a lot of false starts, a lot of women blanking you and a very high ratio of swipes to matches. Unless of course you’re a male model built from the gym, in which case ignore the above. :tongue:

You need to upload your real photos if you expect to get anywhere. Women who don’t upload real pictures of themselves get an instant dislike from me, so I expect they would do the same in return if I didn’t put up pictures of myself. Posting pictures that are an accurate representation of you will make you appear more genuine, which is what I’m sure any woman wants from a man she matches with. Also, there are hundreds of thousands of people on dating apps so I highly doubt you’ll be recognised by anyone you know. Even if you are, what’s the big deal? Like I said, nothing to be ashamed about unless you’re trying to hide it from a wife or girlfriend! :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
Yes absolutely you're right. I'm not sure how old you are, but you seem to get it.

Once you get into your twenties, and particularly my age, mid to late twenties, you start to feel a bit alone and isolated. Most people my age have kids, are in committed relationships, or have some other baggage which makes meeting potential partners hard.

Also, some women my age just want to be mates for a bit.

I need to get myself to a confident stage in my life, mental health wise, and build my confidence slowly. I'm at a crossroads right now. Recently split with my long term partner, started a new job, and a bit preoccupied with mental health - anxieties.

I know it sounds a bit like shopping for a new pair of shoes, but I've been browsing dating websites, and stuff, just to sort of kick start my mood, and get used to the idea that I'm now single. Although maybe its too soon...

I guess I feel embarrassed to actually be seen by people in reality. Like the odds of been found by people in my area is high, and I don't want them knowing my sexual interests or things. Meanwhile, wanting to attract something that is of the same sexual ilk (so its a hard one - excuse the pun!).

On top of all of this, central to this idea is the fact I've very little self-esteem and confidence. Which makes it hard to attract women, I don't really think I am attractive. Although I go through periods where I have an ego, its mainly because of self-protection if that makes sense.

Sorry im rambling...

Its just hard to not worry about been recognised by people online you know...

it is hard but if you want something you need to just go out there and grab it, and take chances. you also need to remember that attraction is really subjective and things like personality can make a massive difference when it comes to meeting people and seeing whether you can make something work and be really meaningful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending