The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Sober at Surrey Uni

Hiya! I'm starting at University of Surrey this September to study Biology and have been looking through the Freshers event which seem predominantly to be geared towards those who like drinking and partying.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am quite happy to drink a little now and again, but I am by no means a party animal. While others are getting super hyped about which events they're going to get tickets for, I am instead growing increasingly anxious that I'm never going to make any friends!!

I was wondering if there was anybody else out there also going to Surrey Uni freshers who isn't a massive lover of clubbing and alcohol, or if I am indeed a freak of nature and a sad excuse for a 19 year old :smile:

Thanksss x
hello pal!!

plenty of people aren't massively into clubbing and drinking, so don't worry!! a lot of societies and clubs have events going on through freshers and the weeks after, and a lot of those aren't club or alcohol-based, so i'm certain you'll have no trouble finding plenty of like-minded people to hang out with xx
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by rm715
Hiya! I'm starting at University of Surrey this September to study Biology and have been looking through the Freshers event which seem predominantly to be geared towards those who like drinking and partying.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am quite happy to drink a little now and again, but I am by no means a party animal. While others are getting super hyped about which events they're going to get tickets for, I am instead growing increasingly anxious that I'm never going to make any friends!!

I was wondering if there was anybody else out there also going to Surrey Uni freshers who isn't a massive lover of clubbing and alcohol, or if I am indeed a freak of nature and a sad excuse for a 19 year old :smile:

Thanksss x

Hello!

The Students' Union are this year, for the first time, planning a whole range of Freshers events each evening for those who don't drink, don't want to get drunk, or just don't feel like going out. This will include an outdoor cinema! I'm afraid the full timetable hasn't been published yet so I can't share any more info with you, but keep an eye on the SU social channels for more in the coming weeks!

Have you joined our Freshers Facebook group yet? It's a great way to meet new people and I am certain you'll find likeminded people there.

We're excited to welcome you to Surrey and we are sure you will have a great time!

Joe :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rm715

Thanksss x

I feel the same buddy. I'm an introvert, don't know if you are too, and I don't enjoy clubbing at all. I actually do like drinking at a pub with mates but clubs are too hectic and not for me. Don't be anxious though, the way I feel is I don't care what people think of me in terms of I'm they view me as boring or not, I don't care, but I do care if they think I'm a bad person so I'm just going to be friendly but not gonna go clubbing.
Reply 4
Original post by rm715

Thanksss x

Hi,
Im also starting at the university of Surrey studying biomedical science. I generally don't drink but agree that most of the events seem to be around drinking. Im sure there will be quite a few events organised for students like us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending