The Student Room Group

Aston University Low Income Bursary

I was wondering if anyone knew if Aston does a bursary for low-income households. I thought most universities had to offer something but I can't find anything on their website.

Would appreciate any information or links

Thanks
Reply 2

Thanks. It seems like it's for unexpected circumstances rather than general low income. I'm looking for something that is tied to the student finance application. For example at UoN where I am, they have a core bursary which is a standard amount every year. Really appreciate you looking though!
Original post by retardis
I was wondering if anyone knew if Aston does a bursary for low-income households. I thought most universities had to offer something but I can't find anything on their website.

Would appreciate any information or links

Thanks

Previously there was a National Scholarship Programme where the Govt would match funding a uni gave in order to provide scholarships -- usually around 3k to 2k -- for students from low-income backgrounds. When this was in place from 2012-2014, I recall pretty much every uni offered a generous scholarship of at least 2k.

However, the funding for NSP was cut from 2015 and hence a large number of unis -- especially new unis and principally non-RG -- do not provide much in the way of scholarships for low-income students. A few offer 200 quid, some seemingly nothing at all. Which is a shame given these unis tend to attract the lion's share of low-income HE students.
(edited 4 years ago)
I won't go into where the RG scholarship money is coming from; I will no doubt be corrected by the likes of @PQ.
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety
Previously there was a National Scholarship Programme where the Govt would match funding a uni gave in order to provide scholarships -- usually around 3k to 2k -- for students from low-income backgrounds. When this was in place from 2012-2014, I recall pretty much every uni offered a generous scholarship of at least 2k.

However, the funding for NSP was cut from 2015 and hence a lot number of unis -- especially new unis and principally non-RG -- do not provide much in the way of scholarships for low-income students. A few offer 200 quid, some seemingly nothing at all.

Oh right thanks, I was under the assumption that this NSP thing was still going on but that makes sense. I'm probably doing a fruitless search then. That's super helpful information, thank you.

PRSOM
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by retardis
Thanks. It seems like it's for unexpected circumstances rather than general low income. I'm looking for something that is tied to the student finance application. For example at UoN where I am, they have a core bursary which is a standard amount every year. Really appreciate you looking though!

hope everything works out for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending