The Student Room Group

I want my brother to fail at uni...

I know I’m going to sound like a horrible human being, but I really want my brother to fail first year at uni. He’s an absolute sod.

Due to me re-taking year 12 we did A Levels at the same time. He was predicted AAB. He did barely any revision, all homework was done the night before or in the due day.

He’s lazy at home, absolutely vile to me, and expects me and my mum to do everything for him. On A Level results day he got CDD. He expected my mum to phone up his unis and make them take him because he just had a “bad day” on the exams.

My mum refused obviously so he kicked off. He eventually started looking through clearing but he refused to ring anyone, my mum had to force him. He has a place on a course that actually require BBC, so he is well below their entry requirements and obviously been taken so the uni gets their money.

In terms of getting ready for uni, I have done everything by myself. I have bought everything out of my own money and have arranged everything from accommodation to enrolment.

My brother has had to have everything done for him by my mum and me, my mum has screamed her head off at him, and makes me help him, even though all he is is unpleasant to me.

He’s never had a job and has purposely thrown job interviews that my mum got for him, so my mum has bought everything for him, bedding, pots, pans, suitcase, payed for accommodation deposit, even bought him a laptop and contents insurance.

My mum and me have told him constantly that he needs to enrol check this and that, and in the end my mum has had to shout at him and threaten not to take him to uni unless he does everything in-front of her at that very moment.

He is a lazy sh*t and I’m fed up of it. He expects everything to be done for him and if it isn’t done he kicks off and blames everyone else.

I just want him to fail his first year at uni so that he gets a proper taste of reality and is forced to take responsibility for his own actions.

Most of all, I want him to hurt like he has hurt me and my mum for years. My mum is on the verge of a mental breakdown because of him.
(edited 4 years ago)
So you and your brother don't get on then
Reply 2
He will inevitably fail at some point either during university or from another event due to his lack of motivation. However, his success/failure shouldn’t be of concern to you. Just focus on pushing yourself and achieving your own personal goals.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I know I’m going to sound like a horrible human being, but I really want my brother to fail first year at uni. He’s an absolute sod. Due to me re-taking year 12 we did A Levels at the same time. He was predicted AAB. He did barely any revision, all homework was done the night before or in the due day. He’s lazy at home, absolutely vile to me, and expects me and my mum to do everything for him. On A Level results day he got CDD. He expected my mum to phone up his unis and make them take him because he just had a “bad day” on the exams. My mum refused obviously so he kicked off. He eventually started looking through clearing but he refused to ring anyone, my mum had to force him. He has a place on a course that actually require BBC, so he is well below their entry requirements and obviously been taken so the uni gets their money.
In terms of getting ready for uni, I have done everything by myself. I have bought everything out of my own money and have arranged everything from accommodation to enrolment. My brother has had to have everything done for him by my mum and me, my mum has screamed her head off at him, and makes me help him, even though all he is is unpleasant to me. He’s never had a job and has purposely thrown job interviews that my mum got for him, so my mum has bought everything for him, bedding, pots, pans, suitcase, payed for accommodation deposit, even bought him a laptop and contents insurance. My mum and me have told him constantly that he needs to enrol check this and that, and in the end my mum has had to shout at him and threaten not to take him to uni unless he does everything in-front of her at that very moment. He is a lazy sh*t and I’m fed up of it. He expects everything to be done for him and if it isn’t done he kicks off and blames everyone else.
I just want him to fail his first year at uni so that he gets a proper taste of reality and is forced to take responsibility for his own actions. Most of all, I want him to hurt like he has hurt me and my mum for years. My mum is on the verge of a mental breakdown because of him.

Why do you get treated so differently? Is it a boy/girl thing?
First of all... wow. I can understand how you feel. I personally am somewhere in between you two, but probably closer to you rather than your brother in the sense that I'm organized and do a lot of things for my self.

You do seem like a terrible person for saying that,
but if I were in you're position, I'd be saying the exact same things.
it probably doesn’t help that your mum/you continue to do everything for him. in his head he knows all he has to do is kick off in order to get what he wants. he wont be able to do that at uni.
You're brother will get what he deserves one day

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by Benarro
Why do you get treated so differently? Is it a boy/girl thing?

My mum try’s to treat us the same, but I have taken full responsibility for my prep for uni because my mum is honestly at the end of her tether. My mum would do anything for me but I can’t put any more stress on her right now
He will have to sort his **** out one day and when that day comes you can sit back and smile. At uni he will be all on his own and if he doesn't know how to take care of himself he will have to learn very quickly or he will crash and burn. My brother was not dissimilar to yours although i never had to pay for him, he sponged off my parents for years the only comfort this brought was he was there and he had to step up and help care for my terminally ill father.
Reply 9
it probably doesn’t help that your mum/you continue to do everything for him. in his head he knows all he has to do is kick off in order to get what he wants. he wont be able to do that at uni.

She try’s not to do stuff for him, but in the end we get to deadlines and she’s forced to do stuff for him. He goes to uni on Sunday and he hasn’t packed his stuff. I think he’s expecting mum to do it for him.
uni and doing well at uni is all about self-motivation and doing things by and for yourself. the lecturers won't do anything for your brother unless he actively goes and pursues things himself, people like you've described almost always fail. there was one guy in my first year who only started revising three days before an exam... results come around and he gets 17%. so there you go he got what he deserves no doubt so will your brother.
I know I’m going to sound like a horrible human being, but I really want my brother to fail first year at uni. He’s an absolute sod. Due to me re-taking year 12 we did A Levels at the same time. He was predicted AAB. He did barely any revision, all homework was done the night before or in the due day. He’s lazy at home, absolutely vile to me, and expects me and my mum to do everything for him. On A Level results day he got CDD. He expected my mum to phone up his unis and make them take him because he just had a “bad day” on the exams. My mum refused obviously so he kicked off. He eventually started looking through clearing but he refused to ring anyone, my mum had to force him. He has a place on a course that actually require BBC, so he is well below their entry requirements and obviously been taken so the uni gets their money.
In terms of getting ready for uni, I have done everything by myself. I have bought everything out of my own money and have arranged everything from accommodation to enrolment. My brother has had to have everything done for him by my mum and me, my mum has screamed her head off at him, and makes me help him, even though all he is is unpleasant to me. He’s never had a job and has purposely thrown job interviews that my mum got for him, so my mum has bought everything for him, bedding, pots, pans, suitcase, payed for accommodation deposit, even bought him a laptop and contents insurance. My mum and me have told him constantly that he needs to enrol check this and that, and in the end my mum has had to shout at him and threaten not to take him to uni unless he does everything in-front of her at that very moment. He is a lazy sh*t and I’m fed up of it. He expects everything to be done for him and if it isn’t done he kicks off and blames everyone else.
I just want him to fail his first year at uni so that he gets a proper taste of reality and is forced to take responsibility for his own actions. Most of all, I want him to hurt like he has hurt me and my mum for years. My mum is on the verge of a mental breakdown because of him.

It is hard for mums - but she has to stop doing all these things for him. She is effectively destroying any chance of him getting an independent life. ( My nephew is in a similar position - although he is a nice lad. His mum decides everything for him and just gives him money to sit around at home. Never worked) It sounds as if he is off to uni residence so you won't have him in your face.

Only another couple of weeks and then you are freeeeeeee
Reply 12
Just ignore him and don’t focus on him at all. Forget he’s your brother and let him struggle alone. Don’t give him any love, any attention, and especially don’t give him any money. He sounds like he probably has a mental health issue so perhaps you could refer him to the local GP? Is your father not in the picture?
Original post by Deggs_14
Just ignore him and don’t focus on him at all. Forget he’s your brother and let him struggle alone. Don’t give him any love, any attention, and especially don’t give him any money. He sounds like he probably has a mental health issue so perhaps you could refer him to the local GP? Is your father not in the picture?

My mum and dad divorced when I was about 7. Dads basically a adult version of my brother. I think that’s what worries my mum the most. That my brother will turn out like my father who always gets fired from jobs because of his laziness and short temper.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
It is hard for mums - but she has to stop doing all these things for him. She is effectively destroying any chance of him getting an independent life. ( My nephew is in a similar position - although he is a nice lad. His mum decides everything for him and just gives him money to sit around at home. Never worked) It sounds as if he is off to uni residence so you won't have him in your face.

Only another couple of weeks and then you are freeeeeeee

Thankfully he goes to uni on Sunday so I only have to get through one more day of him. I go on Friday. I’m really looking forward to having some space from him. Hopefully, next time we meet he will have turned from an 18 year old behaving like a 5 year old to an actual adult.
Update.
Today my brother went off to uni. I told him yesterday to take his driving license and passport. “No, I won’t need my passport, I have my license” So off he went with my mum 4 hours across the country. He got there, went to enrol and was told he needed a passport, which he didn’t have. Que mental breakdown. He couldn’t possibly wait to have it posted, so I had to get on a train to his uni town (5 hours journey) so he can have his passport. I am now sat in my mums car on the 4 hour journey home.
Reply 16
Update.
Today my brother went off to uni. I told him yesterday to take his driving license and passport. “No, I won’t need my passport, I have my license” So off he went with my mum 4 hours across the country. He got there, went to enrol and was told he needed a passport, which he didn’t have. Que mental breakdown. He couldn’t possibly wait to have it posted, so I had to get on a train to his uni town (5 hours journey) so he can have his passport. I am now sat in my mums car on the 4 hour journey home.

Hi bro, I understand that horrible situation. You warned him and he didnt listen. Sounds like a prick, but honestly him going to uni is probably a good thing as you and you mum will hardly see him. Sounds like a bonus to me. Also I probably wouldn't of taken a 5 hour train journey to bring him his passport. I would of just said tough luck. U didn't listen. You can get a train home and go back if you desperately need it.
Original post by jc933
Hi bro, I understand that horrible situation. You warned him and he didnt listen. Sounds like a prick, but honestly him going to uni is probably a good thing as you and you mum will hardly see him. Sounds like a bonus to me. Also I probably wouldn't of taken a 5 hour train journey to bring him his passport. I would of just said tough luck. U didn't listen. You can get a train home and go back if you desperately need it.

That’s what I originally said. “I told you to take it and you didn’t listen. You’ll have to wait for it to be posted”. However my mum started crying so I said I’ll get the next train down. My mums gonna give me £20 for my trouble :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending