The Student Room Group

Starting university soon, what food should I eat?!?!

I am a very fussy eater and moving into halls next week but I don't know what to eat, I am after cheap but good quality food that is healthy and delicious. After breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas but no idea what!

Do flats ever share meals also?
It's time for you to learn how to cook!
What are your favourite and most despised foods?
Anything you can swallow :smile: so that can vary from pizza to something even as little as ***
How about freezing meals from home and then just de frosting it whenever you want to eat . ( Only feasible if your willing to travel at the weekends to get the meals )

Spoiler

You'll think that flats will share dinners. They won't.

What you want to look into is the magical world of meal prep. It's essentially cooking for 4 at once, but portioning off the food to eat at a later date. You could do 4 days dinners/lunches in a row, or you could freeze it and have a selection.

Come up with a list of your favourite meals that you have at home.
If you’re a fussy eater, you should’ve tried some meals yourself before you even left for uni. If there’s plenty of student cookbooks out and videos
Original post by Anonymous
I am a very fussy eater and moving into halls next week but I don't know what to eat, I am after cheap but good quality food that is healthy and delicious. After breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas but no idea what!

Do flats ever share meals also?

I recommend the Nosh student cookbook. Has really easy, simple recipes designed for students using ingredients and equipment students actually have.

I shop at Lidl and spend around £20 a week on food. Occasionally I go to Asda or Tesco if Lidl doesn't have a few items I want.

For breakfast I have overnight oats with fruit or cereal (bran flakes usually).

For lunch I have sandwiches or salads, wraps, leftovers.

For dinner I have a variety of things - curries, salads, lasagna, spaghetti bolognese, risotto, fish, chicken, stir fry, soup etc.

Some flats share meals. The only meal I share with my flatmates is the Christmas dinner we have before we all go home for the holidays. Occasionally we will have a pizza night and order pizza but this isn't very often. Last year this only happened after our exams as a celebration of being finished with the year. We all eat different things and at different times so it just isn't practical to try and cook for everyone.
Pastas and curries are what I've defaulted too, the former is pretty quick, simple, healthy, easily customisable, while the latter has a stronger flavour, can throw more veggies in (potatoes and carrots are a staple part of many curries which I find are difficult to mix in in other fry ups excluding making chips), mix up your carbs, and good for meal prepping.
Reply 8
Not into curries or pizza, I mainly only like plain foods.

Didn't think flats would share, may be cheaper but would be impractical with the different tastes and responsibilities of the students living within.

I guess I could try and shop at Lidl and buy food such as frozen chicken, fruit, veg and prepare a meal that I can take multiple portions from for multiple days.

Thanks guys! Would love to read more about what you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Pasta, soup, noodles, jacket potato, eggs and bacon/sausage. If you're not into spicy curry you can just cook plain chicken and rice
Hi,

I just viewed your statement. We have some food shops around the town. There's an Asda, Tesco's, One Stop, Spar, even a market which sells fruit and veg at economical prices. You can even try the pound shops.
Hope this helps.

Jon
De Montfort Uni
Stuff like pasta is pretty cheap and easy and you can mix it up pretty easy. Whenever I make it, I'll try and throw meat in there for protein purposes.
I enjoy buying packets of frozen mango and other fruits to chew on instead of snacking on biscuits or anything else.
BBC Good Food have a lot of easy recipes. You never have to follow them exactly, just use whatever bits of it you'd like.
I usually stick to a good beans and toast on breakfast, spicing it up with chilli flakes or throwing in some cheese here and there to liven it up. Honestly, extremely easy and fulfilling.
Might be a good time to begin experimenting and trying new things. I thought I was a fussy eater because I was as a child - if something looked a bit strange, I wouldn't try it. Now I'll try anything even if I think I won't like it. Better to know.

Joshua :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending