The Student Room Group

Psychology at university

I’ve just started year 13 and have realised I’m really interested in psychology and want to study it at degree level next year at uni. However I didn’t know this when choosing my a level options and picked English literature, history and art. I’m doing well in these subjects (targets are A*A*A) but I really don’t want to further them as I don’t really like them and only chose them as I was unsure of what to pick. I’ve looked round universities and there are a few that offer psychology without having taken sciences/maths as a level options but I was just wondering if I’d be at a disadvantage when applying and wouldn’t get an offer due to my options? I got 9s in all sciences at GCSE and an 8 in maths but I don’t know if my subject choices at a level will hold me back?
I don’t think many courses will take you with those subjects I’m afraid. You really need at lest one science subject.
I dont think you are at a disadvantage. Im also interested in applying for psychology and havent got a science, maths or psychology a level. Some unis may require science ect but not all do.Most unis teach basic psychology in the first year.
Do your research and visit open days. They really give you an insight of the subject.
You're best off researching specific universities and maybe contacting them directly to ask about any specific grade requirements or if the subjects you're doing will be okay. You don't need A Level Psychology to study it at uni, but a science subject would be beneficial as would Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest