The Student Room Group

Acne

I’ve been using lymecvcline for about 4 weeks now. At first i thought it was working but now my skin has just gotten way worse again and i’m starting to lose hope and lose my confidence again. Should i stick with it? Or do something else?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jones04
I’ve been using lymecvcline for about 4 weeks now. At first i thought it was working but now my skin has just gotten way worse again and i’m starting to lose hope and lose my confidence again. Should i stick with it? Or do something else?

Go to your GP and consult with them, they can offer you a broader scheme of facts about Acne medications and creams that are relevant to you.
I had constant acne, up to the age of 25. How it stopped? I went to the GP and got TreClin (a gel with tretinoin to use every night) and lymecycline for 3 months. After that, I stopped the lymecycline and treclin and I don't get any more acne.
Reply 3
Had the same experience with lymecycline, my skin went terrible for the first month but eventually calmed down (though I started using treclin too, that stuffs amazing trust me (although when I stopped using it my acne came back sighh))
Original post by m-k1
Had the same experience with lymecycline, my skin went terrible for the first month but eventually calmed down (though I started using treclin too, that stuffs amazing trust me (although when I stopped using it my acne came back sighh))

really? when did u notice your skin clearing up on lymecycline? just started week 5 and one side of my cheek has gotten better but the other side is worse? my GP recommended to do the 3 month course as apparently that's when it should be effective but just worried im here wasting my time. im also on Epiduo and duac, which I feel like the duac helps a lot. how is ur skin now?
Reply 5
Original post by pinkbluex
really? when did u notice your skin clearing up on lymecycline? just started week 5 and one side of my cheek has gotten better but the other side is worse? my GP recommended to do the 3 month course as apparently that's when it should be effective but just worried im here wasting my time. im also on Epiduo and duac, which I feel like the duac helps a lot. how is ur skin now?

I’d say give the lymecycline at least 2/3 months, although as I said I started treclin after a month so not sure what effect the lymecycline had

My skin was at its best after using treclin, that stuff is amazing I recommend it, I still was breaking out but no where near as bad as before and I had years of pigmentation that vanished

But THEN i stopped using treclin and about 2 months after my skin went really bad, now I’ve been back on treclin for almost 3 months. The first month and a half my skin purged SO BADLY, my acne became very severe when before it was mostly moderate acne + pigmentation

Now, its been almost 3 months on treclin again and my acne is finally mostly gone, with just a few spots and mostly pigmentation which I know the treclin will fade in a couple months

All I know is that my skin loves treclin but does NOT like when I’m not using it...I’m trying to find somewhere that I can get tretinoin because I cant use treclin forever since it has antibiotic in it (in case you didn’t know treclin is basically tretinoin mixed with the antibiotic clindamycin, tretinoin on its own is apparently really good too but hard to get in the UK)
Reply 6

I’ll also say that when i used both lymecycline and treclin, I didn’t purge when I used the treclin

But this time around i didnt use lymecycline and my skin purged like CRAZY, and its only calmed down recently
Original post by m-k1
I’ll also say that when i used both lymecycline and treclin, I didn’t purge when I used the treclin

But this time around i didnt use lymecycline and my skin purged like CRAZY, and its only calmed down recently

oh I see, yeah im on lymecycline Epiduo and duac, and ive broken out like mad on one side, it hasn't been this bad before, im not sure what to do, my GP says continue for another month or two thats when it should kick in, but starting to lose hope
Reply 8
oh I see, yeah im on lymecycline Epiduo and duac, and ive broken out like mad on one side, it hasn't been this bad before, im not sure what to do, my GP says continue for another month or two thats when it should kick in, but starting to lose hope

You said you’re on week 5? My skin was terrible at that point, wait at least another month - my skin has calmed down now at week 7
Original post by m-k1
You said you’re on week 5? My skin was terrible at that point, wait at least another month - my skin has calmed down now at week 7

Yeah nearly finished week 5, and comparing photos from the start, my cheek is worse it actually sucks, wait so yours broke out too? How’s it looking now if you compared it to the start?
Reply 10
Yeah nearly finished week 5, and comparing photos from the start, my cheek is worse it actually sucks, wait so yours broke out too? How’s it looking now if you compared it to the start?

When I started, I had a combination of pigmentation and acne spots

Then up until about week 6 my skin looked WAY worse - I had massive spots specifically on one side of my cheek (the side that was breaking out most before I started treatment). These spots were so stubborn and didnt go down for weeks

Then in week 7 (this week), they’ve finally flattened and I’m not breaking out so much. They’ve left bad pigmentation marks (my spots always leave pigmentation behind) which I’m sure will lighten soon, they lightened well the first time that I used treclin

Stick with it at least until the 2 month mark, it gets easier I promise! I’m looking at photos from just 2 weeks ago and am surprised about how much flatter my skin looks now
Reply 11

Honestly, I’m not sure how much the lymecycline actually does for my skin, I think the true saviour for me was treclin
Original post by m-k1
When I started, I had a combination of pigmentation and acne spots

Then up until about week 6 my skin looked WAY worse - I had massive spots specifically on one side of my cheek (the side that was breaking out most before I started treatment). These spots were so stubborn and didnt go down for weeks

Then in week 7 (this week), they’ve finally flattened and I’m not breaking out so much. They’ve left bad pigmentation marks (my spots always leave pigmentation behind) which I’m sure will lighten soon, they lightened well the first time that I used treclin

Stick with it at least until the 2 month mark, it gets easier I promise! I’m looking at photos from just 2 weeks ago and am surprised about how much flatter my skin looks now

Yeah kind of the same with me too, I started off with spots and pigmentation, and I still have a lot of pigmentation. And these huge spots that randomly appeared just means more pigmentation which sucks as it takes so long to go. We don’t have treclin here in England, not that I’m aware of, but we have DUAC which has clindamycin in it like treclin, which I’ve been on and off with, as sometimes it has REALLY helped but for the past week I feel like thats what made it worse? It’s so confusing ahhhhh. How long is ur course for?
Reply 13
Yeah kind of the same with me too, I started off with spots and pigmentation, and I still have a lot of pigmentation. And these huge spots that randomly appeared just means more pigmentation which sucks as it takes so long to go. We don’t have treclin here in England, not that I’m aware of, but we have DUAC which has clindamycin in it like treclin, which I’ve been on and off with, as sometimes it has REALLY helped but for the past week I feel like thats what made it worse? It’s so confusing ahhhhh. How long is ur course for?

I’m in England too and got treclin prescribed to me. I came across it when doing research online and asked my GP to prescribe it. He had never even heard of it himself lol

Yeah I had the same issue, really big spots, that made me nervous but now that they’re gone I feel like the pigmentation is reducing faster than normal

My course is for 6 months, but ngl I’m way too scared to get off it, the last time I did my acne came back with a vengeance - I might try find some tretinoin from somewhere so I still have clear skin, without the antibiotic
has anyone tried acnetane ... have been on it for about a month but i dont see a big difference.... should i continue???.... is acnetane the same as roaccutane???
Original post by m-k1
I’m in England too and got treclin prescribed to me. I came across it when doing research online and asked my GP to prescribe it. He had never even heard of it himself lol

Yeah I had the same issue, really big spots, that made me nervous but now that they’re gone I feel like the pigmentation is reducing faster than normal

My course is for 6 months, but ngl I’m way too scared to get off it, the last time I did my acne came back with a vengeance - I might try find some tretinoin from somewhere so I still have clear skin, without the antibiotic

Oh yeah I just searched treclin, it has clindamycin and tretinoin in it, my combo of epiduo and DUAC which has those ingredients too along with benzoyl peroxide. Pigmentation going fast is probably the tretinoin, it’s really good, that’s why I’ve always stuck to epiduo to do that, I can notice pigmentation fading, but still getting more and more. Oh really? Wait so have you been on lymecycline before and this is another course or something?
Reply 16
ive been taking lymecycline for a long time now, and its working, though when i stop taking them, all the acne just comes back :/
Original post by tipep
ive been taking lymecycline for a long time now, and its working, though when i stop taking them, all the acne just comes back :/

when did you notice it clearing up? that must be annoying, probably you need to complete the course or maybe just switch antibiotics? are u using a topical cream alongside it?
Original post by jones04

You should at least discuss it with your GP. Ask your parents immediately to get you an appointment or do it yourself if you know how.
I did this a few days ago and luckily got an appointment the next day. The medication I'm using is working like a charm, whereas the last prescribed acne medication I had ended up useless, and i stopped using it.
GP appointments could take weeks to get though so it's important to get one.
Your GP will probably suggest you stay on it for the time being but it's important to discuss it.
My GP did tell me when I asked that oral meds can induce antibiotic resistance so keep that in mind if that's something you're worried about
Original post by FUCC69420
You should at least discuss it with your GP. Ask your parents immediately to get you an appointment or do it yourself if you know how.
I did this a few days ago and luckily got an appointment the next day. The medication I'm using is working like a charm, whereas the last prescribed acne medication I had ended up useless, and i stopped using it.
GP appointments could take weeks to get though so it's important to get one.
Your GP will probably suggest you stay on it for the time being but it's important to discuss it.
My GP did tell me when I asked that oral meds can induce antibiotic resistance so keep that in mind if that's something you're worried about

If u don’t mind me asking what were u previously using and how long until u realised it want working? Also what are you on now??

Quick Reply

Latest