The Student Room Group

I'm not quite sure if what I'm experiencing is racism, bullying or something else

I am a 16-year old girl from China, and this year is my first year attending a boarding school in the UK.It's almost half-term, and I haven't had a really pleasant experience in the school I've been going to. However, I'm not quite sure what I'm exactly experiencing here. Racism? Bullying? Or something else? Basically, in my new school, there are only around 8% of Asians. And whilst I tried really hard to make friends with people of European or other descent, I really couldn't. When talking to some German girls, they either would ignore me and talk in German, or they would give short answers that reflected their unwillingness to talk to me. People would also group me and my other asian friends with other asians that we never met. Recently another thing that has been happening this week is: when there is a group of Chinese kids gathering in the common area, playing a game, European boys always throw pillows that hit us. One time, I couldn't take it anymore, and I just shouted at them. Telling how childish their 'games' are and asked them if they wanted to go back to elementary school. They didn't stop.Instead, now, they have opted to single me out. But the thing is, I don't know if they can get in trouble. They always pick a time where no teachers can see them, the things they throw at me almost always never touches me, they would throw folded up paper pamphlets 2 centimetres away from my feet and head, never hitting me in the process. And keep in mind these are mostly the same people, but there are also other groups involved. It's mostly a group of 16-18 year old European boys. Can anyone help me define whats happening?
Reply 1
Original post by rimas14
I am a 16-year old girl from China, and this year is my first year attending a boarding school in the UK.It's almost half-term, and I haven't had a really pleasant experience in the school I've been going to. However, I'm not quite sure what I'm exactly experiencing here. Racism? Bullying? Or something else? Basically, in my new school, there are only around 8% of Asians. And whilst I tried really hard to make friends with people of European or other descent, I really couldn't. When talking to some German girls, they either would ignore me and talk in German, or they would give short answers that reflected their unwillingness to talk to me. People would also group me and my other asian friends with other asians that we never met. Recently another thing that has been happening this week is: when there is a group of Chinese kids gathering in the common area, playing a game, European boys always throw pillows that hit us. One time, I couldn't take it anymore, and I just shouted at them. Telling how childish their 'games' are and asked them if they wanted to go back to elementary school. They didn't stop.Instead, now, they have opted to single me out. But the thing is, I don't know if they can get in trouble. They always pick a time where no teachers can see them, the things they throw at me almost always never touches me, they would throw folded up paper pamphlets 2 centimetres away from my feet and head, never hitting me in the process. And keep in mind these are mostly the same people, but there are also other groups involved. It's mostly a group of 16-18 year old European boys. Can anyone help me define whats happening?

Jeez, really sorry that this happened to you! If they were specifically targeting a group of Chinese kids and throwing pillows at you then I would indeed say that is racism. They are also singling you out so that's bullying, and they are harassing you. Have they actually said anything racist towards you or any of your friends, if yes then that is additional evidence. Sounds to me like you're being harassed, bullied (if it's happened multiple times which it sounds like it has), and it sounds like they are also being racist. If I were you I would 100% report this. Good luck with what you decide, and sorry this has been happening, stuff like this has no place in our society.
Reply 2
They dont need to hit you for it to be a problem. Tell a teacher and it should stop.
In regards to the german girls, youre always going to find groups of people that just dont want to talk to you or are interested in making friends, dont worry about it. Whatever their reasons are it wont change anything. Instead, do more of the things you enjoy doing (clubs library etc) and youll hopefully come across more like minded people that way. Participate in atleast a few social events and you might come across people that are friendly or can introduce you to some.
It is wierd when people group you by nationality, people automatically assume you'll feel more comfortable with them since you share the same skin colour, sometimes its true, sometimes not.
Im sure you'll find your place soon, dont worry too much and just have fun,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending