The Student Room Group

My teeth feel like they are moving, very very slightly

if I push them with my tongue. This has happened me once before and then went away...its very odd! :s-smilie: Not in any way loose its almost an imperceptible movement...

Dentist in three weeks anyway! (lets hope teeth are still in place:s-smilie: )

Has anyone ever had this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, I have this all the time.

My teeth aren't great, but they are healthy, it isn't a big deal.
Reply 2
Your tounge is soft, and so will compress when pressed against your teeth, giving the illusion of movement. Bone (of which your teeth are made) is flexible, therefore your teeth can move slightly. They would break more easily if they weren't flexible.
Reply 3
Ghost
Your tounge is soft, and so will compress when pressed against your teeth, giving the illusion of movement. Bone (of which your teeth are made) is flexible, therefore your teeth can move slightly. They would break more easily if they weren't flexible.

Rather, the teeth sockets are flexible. Bone is one of the hardest natural materials in existence.

It is your tongue giving into the pressure of the touch, I would imagine.
When my brace was first taken off i felt like all my teeth were going to fall out :eek:
don't worry though, with adult teeth nothing much is going to happen!
Reply 5
prXXX344d
Rather, the teeth sockets are flexible. Bone is one of the hardest natural materials in existence.

It is your tongue giving into the pressure of the touch, I would imagine.

Whilst bones are indeed hard, they are also flexible. The flexibility does not make the bone any less hard, it simply makes it more resistant to damage from stress.
I've had this feeling a few times too, especially around the time I had my braces and retainers.
I don't think its really anything to worry about too much as its quite common.
Obviously if you still have the wobbling in three weeks its probably a good idea to mention it to your dentist though.

Just don't go eating any toffees!
Reply 7
It does happen from time to time - try not to press too hard with the tongue while they're mobile. By tomorrow morning I bet they're fixed in place again.
Reply 8
saoirse
if I push them with my tongue. This has happened me once before and then went away...its very odd! :s-smilie: Not in any way loose its almost an imperceptible movement...

Dentist in three weeks anyway! (lets hope teeth are still in place:s-smilie: )

Has anyone ever had this?

Yep, from time to time this happens. No idea why. Teeth seem to have a mind of their own, I don't think they ever stop moving about or moving. But mine are healthy no filling none permanently wobble and the dentists always seem very pleased with them. I wouldn't worry, just take good care of them and not eat many sweet things etc and let your dentist know when you get there and try not to shake them.
Reply 9
Yea, I get it every now and again too. Seems normal to me (though slightly worrying at the time!)
I get this feeling after a drink sometimes. It is either to do with the tongue or the gum which surrounds your teeth. Nothing to worry about if your teeth are healthy.
Reply 11
Teeth are made of Enamel NOT bone.
Yeah, I always think my teeth are moving.

Apparently it's in my mind cos there's nothing wrong with them :s-smilie:
andiroo
Teeth are made of Enamel NOT bone.

Well, they're not made of bone, but they're not technically made of enamel either. They're made of cementum (on the root), pulp in the centre, then dentine around that, then covered in enamel. Heh, the joys of living with a dentistry student for a year. I had teeth coming out of my ears.

But yeah, anyway, teeth DO move slightly, especially the front ones. Nothing to worry about unless it's an obvious movement.
Toy Soldier
Well, they're not made of bone, but they're not technically made of enamel either. They're made of cementum (on the root), pulp in the centre, then dentine around that, then covered in enamel. Heh, the joys of living with a dentistry student for a year. I had teeth coming out of my ears.

But yeah, anyway, teeth DO move slightly, especially the front ones. Nothing to worry about unless it's an obvious movement.

You might want to see a doctor about that. Or a dentist.
I have the same problem and I'm so scared if someone can tell me what is happening and how to get rid of it then I will be really happy 😊
Am worried have I got gum disease some of my bottom teeth are a bit loose especially one I can wobble frightened my teeth are falling out
I can ensure you there is no need to worry teeth aren't made out of bone they are made out of enamel and everyone's teeth are flexible if we didn't have any flexibility in our teeth they would break easier I have healthy teeth brush twice a day and my teeth move slightly you should only worry if the tooth is so wobbly that you can wobble it without force
you may want to check the date of this thread - it's 9 years old.
My molars are hurting and I can move them with my tongue. Is this normal? My molars are also moving inward toward my tongue and I got an X-ray done for my teeth. It showed my wisdom teeth growing toward my molars a bit. I've been thinking I either need to get some teeth pulled, get braces, or both. What should I do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending