The Student Room Group

Which Uni for PPE

Hey Guys,
I'm a 19 year old German guy and I want to study PPE in the uk. I'm currently in the process of applying and have a couple of questions since I don't really know the uk that well. Which universities do you think are the best for PPE? Which are the best in general? I'm currently looking at York, Exeter, Lancaster, Manchester, Lse, Warwick and Durham. I know that Oxford is the best but it is already to late for that and I don't really know how much I would like that anyway. How would you rate the mentioned schools in terms of:
-job prospects
-nightlife
-how easy it is to fit in and make friends
-hotness of the women (sorry about this but I can't say that I'm not interested😅)
-best experience

Are there any other universities that I should check out? Any warnings about which University I really shouldn't go to? Thanks for the help guys.

Scroll to see replies

Edinburgh also offers PPE and since you're from the EU, your fees should be extremely, extremely low. Not sure what will happen with Brexit incoming but you should definitely consider Edinburgh regardless. It's just behind Oxford and LSE reputation-wise and probably mostly even with Warwick.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Edinburgh does look nice, I will definitely check it out more. I'm a little bit worried about Brexit myself but I'm confident that studying there will be possible even after a Brexit. And brexit will probably take quite some time until it is completely through.
I go to King's and it is pretty good
Reply 4
Original post by JMR2019.
I go to King's and it is pretty good

How would you compare it to Lse? Since both are in London? It's pretty hard to get into kings, isn't it? Do you live in student accommodations? Are they affordable? London is quite expensive after all🤔
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Shake00
How would you compare it to Lse? Since both are in London? It's pretty hard to get into kings, isn't it? Do you live in student accommodations? Are they affordable? London is quite expensive after all🤔

LSE I would have applied for if I could do maths 😂 but unfortunately cannot so King's is good as well. Grade requirements are A*AA. And no I don't, I commute :smile:
Reply 6
So what do you guys think about ucl? The third London university? Could I rate them: lse>kings>ucl?
Oxford is the original course, and York was I believe the first PPE course outside of Oxford, so they're both well established. No idea how long Edinburgh's course has been running but as above it would be worthwhile to consider if you're an EU student from the fees perspective. LSE has only been offering the course for a couple of years, but its politics, economics, and philosophy departments are all independently considered to be very strong (albeit the philosophy department has a very narrow focus). That said, bear in mind the LSE course is 4 years, and you would be living in London for these years - potentially a significant financial commitment.

Warwick has a very good economics department and fairly good philosophy department as I understand, although I'm not that familiar with their politics department/courses. At Exeter economics is taught via the business school, and all economics courses are based in that department; depending on your interests and opinions on such matters, that could be either a positive or negative. PPE at Exe was originally a track in FCH which ended up getting formalised into a standalone degree; hopefully this indicates there is some more centralised organisation and administration for the course (which is notoriously patchy for FCH itself) to coordinate the different departments involved, but I don't know anyone that did it when I was there.

Not really familiar with Lancaster, and I wasn't specifically aware that Manchester offered it (although not particularly surprised since it's really proliferated at a great rate across the UK HE sector in the last 10 years). Manchester is generally well regarded, although I always was of the impression it was more well regarded for its STEM courses than anything else. Then again, that was the area I was more focused on when I was looking at options back in school so, that may simply be confirmation bias on my part. Durham is likewise well regarded, and has a fairly notable philosophy department as I understand, with particular strengths in the philosophy of the social sciences (which is quite relevant for PPE I would assume).

Oxford, York, Lancaster, and Durham are all collegiate universities, although I don't know to what extent this really matters at York or Lancaster though; even at Durham the people I knew who went there said they were really just glorified halls of residence - compared to Oxford where much of your philosophy teaching will happen in college. This may then shift your opinions of those options. Warwick and Exeter are campus unis - Warwick not really near anything, Exeter just at the top of the city (but still within the city, to all intents and purposes). Warwick students normally live in the nearby Royal Leamington Spa after first year as I understand, with about a 20 minute bus journey to get to the uni. Exeter students live in the city, in various locales, although some stay in halls after first year; depending where you live it's probably going to be a 10-20 minute walk or bus journey to the uni from there. The others are based in the cities, and I think York and Manchester are somewhat distributed throughout them (I'm not 100% certain of this though). LSE is obviously in a city although I think mostly roughly in the same location.
Reply 8
Thank you for that very elaborate answer! It was very helpful! Studying in London would be great but, as you said, it is quite expensive. Royal Leamington spa seems to be a tiny city. Would it be right to assume that it is mostly made up out of students? In that case, surely there is quite a bit going on over there? How important is the prestige of the university in the uk? Would I still find a good job with a degree from, for example, Exeter? It is extremely unimportant in Germany, but I believe that that is different in the uk? Will any of those universities give me enough job opportunities in the future? Currently I think I will apply to Manchester, Edinburgh, Exeter and York. I still have a fifth option, what would you guys recommend for that? I will be able to spend about 1100 Pounds monthly. Can I assume that London is out of my budget? London would be boring if the only thing I can afford is sitting in my dorm and eating toast😅.
(edited 4 years ago)
London is notoriously expensive and is a massive city. Some love huge cities and others hate them. It is for you to decide on that. Manchester is also a very large city so that is something you need to think about. If you are thinking about Edinburgh you need to be aware it is very difficult for EC students to get in there or St Andrews. Because the Scottish universities are free to EC students they have a cap on the number of students they will accept and often students with far better than the minimum requirements get rejected for this reason. All the others are in smaller cities and all your universities are very reputable universities so with good degrees you should be able to find employment. The most important thing is you are happy wherever you study and look at course content and where you think you will enjoy best. If it was me given the caps in Scotland I would probably choose Durham instead of Edinburgh and probably Lancaster or Warwick as my fifth choice unless you feel London is for you.
Reply 10
Original post by Shake00
Thank you for that very elaborate answer! It was very helpful! Studying in London would be great but, as you said, it is quite expensive. Royal Leamington spa seems to be a tiny city. Would it be right to assume that it is mostly made up out of students? In that case, surely there is quite a bit going on over there? How important is the prestige of the university in the uk? Would I still find a good job with a degree from, for example, Exeter? It is extremely unimportant in Germany, but I believe that that is different in the uk? Will any of those universities give me enough job opportunities in the future? Currently I think I will apply to Manchester, Edinburgh, Exeter and York. I still have a fifth option, what would you guys recommend for that? I will be able to spend about 1100 Pounds monthly. Can I assume that London is out of my budget? London would be boring if the only thing I can afford is sitting in my dorm and eating toast😅.

If 1100 pounds per month are for food and leisure then you'll get by very comfortably in London. I assume that is the case, because if you need to include accomodation then you won't even be eating a toast!
My daughter is attending University in London. Her monthly expenses vary from 700 to 900, and accomodation was 281 per week for 1st year that she was in Uni halls and now is 1180 per month. She is in a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom townhouse in Earl's Court.
Why would you not like Oxford OP?
Unless it is a top university you are better off studying something more practical
Reply 13
Original post by EleaGR
If 1100 pounds per month are for food and leisure then you'll get by very comfortably in London. I assume that is the case, because if you need to include accomodation then you won't even be eating a toast!
My daughter is attending University in London. Her monthly expenses vary from 700 to 900, and accomodation was 281 per week for 1st year that she was in Uni halls and now is 1180 per month. She is in a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom townhouse in Earl's Court.

Sadly, that amount includes rent. Although I could also take a Job over there and probably bump it up to 1500.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Why would you not like Oxford OP?

I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel in the city. It seems like most other students are not quite in the same social circle. It doesn't matter though, since I would have needed to apply to that 10 days ago.

Original post by C.Goodyear
Unless it is a top university you are better off studying something more practical

I might be, but I prefer studying something that I am passionate about. There is always the possibility of a masters in economics after it, which should make the Job hunt quite possible.
Original post by Shake00
I'm not sure how comfortable I would feel in the city. It seems like most other students are not quite in the same social circle. It doesn't matter though, since I would have needed to apply to that 10 days ago.

Ignore the stereotypes. Oxford is no socially different to UCL. If you want to avoid social class issues however, avoid England.
Reply 15
I would recommend that you don't apply to a uni in London. LSE, UCL and King's are all very demanding Unis and if you have to work also, your grades may suffer. And you won't enjoy your time there.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Ignore the stereotypes. Oxford is no socially different to UCL. If you want to avoid social class issues however, avoid England.

I don't think there will be any class issues. My family is positioned quite well in the upper middle class. We just aren't super rich. And you are probably right, I'm sure Oxford is a great University. But I didn't apply and now it is too late. I don't see the point in thinking about Oxford if I can't go there anyway. I'm sure I will be just as happy at any other University.

Original post by EleaGR
I would recommend that you don't apply to a uni in London. LSE, UCL and King's are all very demanding Unis and if you have to work also, your grades may suffer. And you won't enjoy your time there.

That was my thought process as well. I've had very good grades up until now and I'm sure I could handle the workload but it might simply be above my budget. Although I might start taking a look at student loans, just don't really like the thought of getting into debt this early in my life.
(edited 4 years ago)
I really do recommend Durham. I only spend about £80-£150 per month (excluding rent, which is also very cheap) and all the PPE students I know are very happy with their course :smile:

Also, all three subjects are in the top 10 in the country.
Reply 18
Original post by WinterKuma
I really do recommend Durham. I only spend about £80-£150 per month (excluding rent, which is also very cheap) and all the PPE students I know are very happy with their course :smile:

Also, all three subjects are in the top 10 in the country.

😮😮😮 Hey, I don't mean to question that, but how can this be possible? What are you eating everyday? Food and groceries are not cheap in the UK. And obviously you need to have a social life. Don't you go out for a cup of coffee or drinks with your friends at least once a week? I am not familiar with Durham, but I have 2 kids in Uni. One is in London, as I mentioned earlier, and one is in Leeds. I went there myself to help them get settled in the beggining of their courses. The supermarket groceries are at least 35 pounds per week, and that is if you plan well and get some meat/fish on offer. Assuming you are not vegeterian of course. So, coffees and drinks and a couple of dinners out per month will be at least 100-150 pounds per month. I have never heard of anyone go by with less than 300 pounds per month. And we also have a lot of friends that their kids are in Uni ( i.e. Edinburgh, Reading, Sheffield, Surrey, Nottingham,) and usually their monthly expenses are about 500-700 pounds per month depending on their parents' financial situation of course. Naturally, there are also other students, like my daughter's friends in London that spend 1000-2000 pounds per month just for nightlife and clothing! But that's a different story...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by EleaGR
😮😮😮 Hey, I don't mean to question that, but how can this be possible? What are you eating everyday? Food and groceries are not cheap in the UK. And obviously you need to have a social life. Don't you go out for a cup of coffee or drinks with your friends at least once a week? I am not familiar with Durham, but I have 2 kids in Uni. One is in London, as I mentioned earlier, and one is in Leeds. I went there myself to help them get settled in the beggining of their courses. The supermarket groceries are at least 35 pounds per week, and that is if you plan well and get some meat/fish on offer. Assuming you are not vegeterian of course. So, coffees and drinks and a couple of dinners out per month will be at least 100-150 pounds per month. I have never heard of anyone go by with less than 300 pounds per month. And we also have a lot of friends that their kids are in Uni ( i.e. Edinburgh, Reading, Sheffield, Surrey, Nottingham,) and usually their monthly expenses are about 500-700 pounds per month depending on their parents' financial situation of course. Naturally, there are also other students, like my daughter's friends in London that spend 1000-2000 pounds per month just for nightlife and clothing! But that's a different story...

In Durham unlike most universities many of the colleges include food in with the accommodation for the first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending