The Student Room Group

Best for me?

So I've visited most of the universities I want to visit, and I've got two decently written personal statements that are ready for the off, but I've spent the last few months pondering and going back and forth about my course choices.

My university choices are Lancaster, York, Lincoln, Leicester and Huddersfield. I feel like there I have a good range of universities, but like I said it's my courses that are holding me back. I want to study either International Relations (Int Politics) or Media (not film, but inclusive of Communications & Media). I do English Language, Media and Gov & Pol at A-Level. My target grades are AAB/ABB

I've always had an interest in both subjects, media strongly so as at A-Level it's my best subject, looking at now getting an A* in it, but politics has also been a passion of mine for a long time. I've done extracurricular stuff for both, and my passion for media lies with the entertainment business and a complex web of music/video stuff that I've done in my spare time. I'm not massively academic, but I feel like I could handle a political degree like IR

Any help would be massively appreciated, I've heard loads of people say Media is still a soft degree and I'm better doing IR then going to work in media, and vice versa. People also keep saying do what you love, but I love them both and I can't make up my mind.
Reply 1
Original post by ReTopic
So I've visited most of the universities I want to visit, and I've got two decently written personal statements that are ready for the off, but I've spent the last few months pondering and going back and forth about my course choices.

My university choices are Lancaster, York, Lincoln, Leicester and Huddersfield. I feel like there I have a good range of universities, but like I said it's my courses that are holding me back. I want to study either International Relations (Int Politics) or Media (not film, but inclusive of Communications & Media). I do English Language, Media and Gov & Pol at A-Level. My target grades are AAB/ABB

I've always had an interest in both subjects, media strongly so as at A-Level it's my best subject, looking at now getting an A* in it, but politics has also been a passion of mine for a long time. I've done extracurricular stuff for both, and my passion for media lies with the entertainment business and a complex web of music/video stuff that I've done in my spare time. I'm not massively academic, but I feel like I could handle a political degree like IR

Any help would be massively appreciated, I've heard loads of people say Media is still a soft degree and I'm better doing IR then going to work in media, and vice versa. People also keep saying do what you love, but I love them both and I can't make up my mind.

1. Maybe do a joint degree. LSE, Cardiff, East Anglia, Wolverhampton, Kingston etc. all do a poltics and media course.
2. Or do a major in one and a minor in the other.
3. Take a year out and use that to find out what you want to do. (My friend was set on geography, took a gap year and later found out she wanted to do psychology instead).
4. Think about careers. Would you rather work in government, the civil service, the UN or an NGO or in music, radio and advertising? You can go into careers such as journalism with a politics degree. Equally, many politicians don’t have politcs degrees.
5. Remember, if you don’t like what you are doing at university and you can always drop out or switch courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending